OT for fun: 1 in 1,000 in U.S.A. Know This. Do You?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 7, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

1 in 1,000 in U.S.A. Know This. Do You?

* Name all five members of "The Simpsons" family.

* Name all five freedoms guaranteed to Americans by the First Amendment.

More than half of us can name two members of the popular cartoon family and 22 percent can name all five......, but only 25 percent of Americans CAN NAME JUST ONE of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment...... and a paltry ONE IN 1,000 can name all five, reports The Associated Press of a telephone survey of 1,000 adults conducted by the McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum.

Here are the answers:

* "The Simpsons": Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie.

* The First Amendment freedoms:
    - Freedom of Speech,
    - Freedom of Religion,
    - Freedom of Press,
    - Freedom of Assembly, and
    - Freedom of Petition for redress of grievances.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The new McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum in Chicago is dedicated to helping visitors understand the First Amendment. They have their work cut out for them.

The survey also found that more people could name the three "American Idol" judges than could identify three First Amendment rights.

And some have a real misconception about the rights afforded under the First Amendment, thinking the right to own a pet is protected.

2. JLH

JLH New Member

What's an American Idol??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg, you must not be a television watcher!!!!

It's the No. 1 rated show (when it's on) that showcases wantabee singers. The show weeds them down to a final 12 that compete against each other, week after week, with one person leaving the show each week, until the last person standing is the AMERICAN IDOL! It's on the FOX network.

Have you heard of Taylor Hicks? He is this year's American Idol. He was awarded this title a few months ago.

Other Idols have been: Kelly Clarkson, Fantasia Barrino, Reuben Studdard, Clay Aiken (a 1st runnerup), and I can't remember last years.

You would think I was talking about "real" idols as you mentioned, but this is a television show about singers!! LOL

Hey, I'm your twin tonight! I, too, am sitting here with my entire body in total pain, but I'm not quite wide awake..... I'm getting tired, but the tiredness is really due to sitting at the computer too long!

I went to bed at 3:00 a.m. last night, and didn't get up until 2:15 pm this afternoon!!!!! LOL I couldn't believe it! I didn't tell my husband that .. when he came in from work at 4:15 pm!!! I had just finished my second cup of "morning" coffee!! I'm glad I got my coffee cup in the sink before it gave away the fact that I just had gotten up!!

Hope you have a better day tomorrow, Greg!

I have to get up before 10 am in order to get ready for a doctor's appt. Ugh!!

Hugs,
    jlh

3. victoria

victoria New Member

same goes for our politicians... the guy who was sponsoring a bill to post the 10 Commandments could only name 3 of them himself. "Do not lie. Do not murder...." Ignorance is rampant...
    V

4. kjfms

kjfms Member

that our county has come to this. I will admit I can not name the Simpson's nor do I watch American. I do know the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment.

I know the US Constitution: Preamble by heart and I am proud of that. Guess how I learned it?

Does anyone remember School House Rock (1970s)? Yes that's it! and it came in very handy when I got to high school and had to memorize the Preamble for history class.

I remember just about all of us in that class knew it from School House Rock and we all earned an A.

Perhaps they should bring back School House Rock actually I learned a lot from that show on Saturday mornings but then we only had 3 channels...LOL

Maybe more people should at the very least switch to the history channel...LOL

Thanks but it is just very sad,

Karen :(
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2006]
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hey, I got four out of five freedoms! I couldn't remember the freedom to petition for redress of grievances.

(and I knew all the Simpsons --embarassed grin)

Karen, I LOVE the preamble song!!

Did you know you can buy the whole Schoolhouse Rock series on DVD now?

"We the people, in order to form a more perfect union...." (singing)

Love,
    Forebearance
  6. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

My favorite was "I'm Just A Bill"! It went through the entire process of how an idea for a new law became a real law!

I learned more from "Schoolhouse Rock" than I EVER did in "school"..LOL!

- julie (is free!)

"This Administation is not sinking. This Administration is soaring. If anything they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg"

- Dr. Stephen Colbert
  7. jake123

jake123 New Member

Some of ya'll are crazy!!!!!!!!
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, I remember Schoolhouse Rock!

When my three children were growing up, we got only 3 channels on TV, too, if you called it that! One channel was great, one was kind of fuzzy, and the other one you could barely make out the picture for the snowey picture, but you could hear it well.

I think the Schoolhouse Rock songs came in on the best channel. My children loved them ... learned a lot from them ... and, I learned from them, too!!!

jlh
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

Yes Forebearance I know about the DVD and I have it...LOL
    I couldn't resist that piece of nostalgia.

Jake which of us is crazy and why?

julie and jlh so glad I am not the only one who enjoyed School house rock. IMHO it beats a lot of what is shown on television now.

I still think it is sad that more Americans can name some cartoon characters than they can the rights guaranteed them by the first amendment.

Thanks,

Karen
  10. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I remember the Bill song, yes. That was a good one, too.

Was that quote from the Colbert Report? lol

Forebearance
    :)