OT Gallbladder Disease

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Oct 27, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Today I saw a surgeon who will be taking my gallbladder out in a week or so.

I wanted to warn everyone, if you have indigestion, bloating, constipation, poor appetite, nausea - you could have gallstones.

I went to doctors for three years with these symptoms and not one doctor thought to do a ultrasound to diagnose gallstones. Even though I had lost over 50 lbs due to poor appetite, had been to emergency room several times with nausea and vomiting, constant constipation, etc.

Maybe I was ignored because the normal symptoms of gallstones are pain in the shoulder blade area and where your gallbladder is located, along with the above symptoms. The surgeon told me everyone does not get pain in the shoulder or gallbladder and my symptoms are "classic" for gallstones.

He was so amazed I went this long suffering.

For anyone here with digestive problems, please ask for a ultrasound of your gallbladder to make sure you don't have gallstones.

I have really suffered, both physically and emotionally due to this dragging on so long. I finally saw a new doctor two months ago who immediately ordered a ultrasound which showed a whole lot of stones.

The surgeon showed me today and I was shocked. It is also dangerous to have gallstones as they can begin moving and block "ducts" in your pancreas or bile duct. Blockage of the pancreas is life threatening.

When that happens you are in terrible pain and they have to do a major surgery to help you, instead of the laparascopy surgery when it is not an emergency.

We really do have to look out for ourselves these days.

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

That's a great reminder and thank you for sharing that with us.

Hugs and good luck on your surgery,

Nancy B
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Since you have had this surgery, can you tell me how your recovery was. I hope I don't have alot of pain.

I am having laparacopy surgery but had to sign for the larger surgery just in case.

Thanks
  4. Summit

Summit New Member

Good luck with your surgery. I'm glad they Finally found out what the problem was. I went to my chiropractor this morning....the pain under my shoulder blade was so bad. He said to watch what I eat, and see if there is a corralation between some foods and my shoulder pain (i.e. fatty foods) and that it could be my gall bladder. That info floored me, I had never heard that before, and surely wouldn't associate pain under the shoulder blade wtih gall stones. But he expained it is a common "referred pain" that happens. So, I will have to see if I can detect any foods that trigger this terrible pain. I don't eat greasy foods though??? anyways, good luck !
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

two years ago. Surgery was fine but I had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic, really bad headaches for three days but apart from that, it all went well.

I still get symptoms though, not as often or as bad as the attacks I got but this happens to some people.

Hope it all goes well for you.

love
    Rosie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mine's coming out on Tues. I have no stones; my gb just doesn't work. The ultrasound was normal. If one has these symptoms and the ultrasound is normal, a nuclear scan may be needed to diagnose the problem. Strangely enough, one of the symptoms mimics costo chondritis. My condition also caused some acid reflux. Had the doc stopped with just a diagnosis of GERD, the cause of the problem would not have been discovered.

I've been feeling lousy for six months. The gb has probably been slowly shutting down until it barely works at all. Not all gb problems are stones.

The advice to get these symptoms checked out is excellent. For anyone who has these symptoms and comes out with a normal ultrasound, don't stop there. Insist on the scan.

Love, Mikie