OT-gallbladder removal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Dec 23, 2011.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I usually would not post this on here, but I am hopeing that someone here has had their gallbladder taken out. I am so weak, and sore, I cant even think straight.

I have been home for 2 days, and not been able to eat much of anything. I am still haveing nausea, and just cant seem to get back with it.

I just wonder what to expect and what is normal, as far as my stomach being upset, and not wanting food.

I cant get into see a doctor until next Thursday, so I have no where to turn.
  2. luigi21

luigi21 Member

have they sent you home with pain medication sometimes that can make you feel icky for a while. Was it a laparoscopy? or open surgery/
    If you start to suffer any pain ie upper gastric, or lower abdominal, if you start to suffer these, and a high fever, bloating, or a vomiting of bile then go to A and E immediately!
    they should have given you a list of things to look out for. and you should receive after care on what to eat. you will suffer some symptoms, they refer to it as a common procedure, but basically they've put four holes in your abdomen and cut your gallbladder off your liver, and stapled the duct closed. So rest easy. keep in touch

best wishes
  3. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I had the laparoscopy surgery. (4 cuts).

What upsets me so much is that they sent me home with no info what so ever. They did say stay away from greasy foods, but that was about it. I think because I did NOT have insurance, they just wanted me out of there ASAP. The doctor did say to come and see him in a week. I called his office, but they wanted $100 up front. So that is out. But I did call the walk in clinic I go to, and they said I could come in next Thursday.

I noticed that I woke up in a sweat about an hour ago. I must of had a fever and didnt know it. I am just so weak right now.

I think part of the pain meds thing is that I usually take lortab for my fibromyalgia pain, and they had me on morphine, oxycodone, ect in the hosptial. I had a very bad emotional time on those. I had crying spells so bad, especially on the morphine. I HATE that stuff!

Thanks for the info.
  4. simonedb

simonedb Member

Well I am not sure if my experience will be totally helpful as I had it done long ago enough that it was one of the last years they were still doing the full open surgery, unfortunately. Ugh hard to believe I am that old as felt so young then....there is life before and after the surgery for me because that kicked off my full blown CFS. In Oslers Web they talk about how a lot of the original CFS group out there had a lot of cholecystectomies (sp), so it goes with the territory.

But just take it easy and be patient, its a big deal for body to go thru something like that and you will feel some weird things. Take really good care of yourself. I couldnt eat tomato sauce stuff as easily afterwards and no more coffee. It took me a couple years to figure it out and accept it in regard to the diet, over the years no wheat became clearly the best choice for me too, already couldnt tolerate alcohol and tht just got worse which is fine because had already quit.

Try to eat very healthy and better not to right before you lie down to prevent GERD, get sleep and fluids etc

good luck
  5. springwater

springwater Active Member

I had gall bladder surgery . I felt nasueous for two weeks.

And then it got better. i can eat most anything in moderate amounts
    but do find it more difficult to digest certain foods like protein and iron
    supplements etc.

hope you get well soon.

God Bless