OT Gallstones

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Aug 1, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Has anyone had gallstones? I have alot of digestive problems and was advised recently I have many small gallstones.

One doctor said do nothing, my family doctor said many people elect to take care of it before a emergency strikes.

I guess even these small stones can travel and block your pancreas, or gallbladder. If it blocks the pancreas it can be life threatening.

Has anyone had gallbladder surgery - laparascopy???

If so, how was your recovery, were you nauseated, in pain???

I have a sick husband and it would be hard for me to be sick at the same time.

Thanks
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I had many gallstones and chose to have surgery before a real emergency happened.

This was a long time ago and I had the "old fashioned" surgery with a 12-inch incision! So, my recovery was long.

However, my oldest daughter had her gallbladder out recently by the laparascopy method. She said it was a breeze! It was done same-day surgery if I remember correctly. She is a stay-at-home mom right now with 2 small boys and was taking care of them the next day with no problems--just moving S-L-O-W !!!!!!!!

She had very little pain.

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. Gail8899

Gail8899 New Member

Had 18 gallbladder attacks in less than a year and the last one caused pancreatitus (sp?) I had the lap surgery on Dec. 23rd. No nausea, was sent home (2 1/2 hour drive) only 4 hours after surgery. Did fine except I do have the constant diarrhea, but I had that before surgery too. The pain after surgery sure was easier to handle than the attacks were.

Gail
  4. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi PVLady, I had gallstones (small) and suffered from "severe" attacks for several weeks before realizing what it was.

My surgeon said I came at the right time because my bladder was damaged and it could have ruptured...not good.

It's usually done as an outpatient procedure now and the worst thing I can remember after was just the bloating.

I wish I had known before the attacks so I could have had it removed prior because that is some of the worst pain I have ever had.

Good Luck with your decision and I hope it doesn't cause you any discomfort.

Love & Hugs

carolin
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for the response. I am afraid and don't know what to do. I have digestive problems all the time, every day. Problem with appetite, however I have other problems like gastric reflux, small hietal hernia and Barretts Esophagus.

I plan to have a endoscopy before having the gallbladder out. I want to make sure first that my stomach is ok.

I definitely don't want to wait until I have an emergency with the stones to do something. The doctor said I have alot of small stones. My other doctor said the small ones can travel and cause big problems by blocking the pancreas.

I would be so happy to have the surgery and have my digestion/appetite return to normal.

I also read that you can wind up with diarrhea. I wonder if anyone has had the gallbladder removed and did not have that problem?

Yes, there are drugs that can dissolve the gallstones, I will ask the doctor.

6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Bumping