OT Goffin; I need Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fairydust39, Oct 5, 2005.

1. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have found a Goffin that overpreens his feathers. 8 yrs. old and a very very good price,including cage.He has been tested and all test were negative. Very friendly and tame,no screaming problem.What should I do?
    Shirley
  2. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have no history on him but I got pictures and just looks scruffy,no bare spots. They said he's very tame,talks and friendly. He's at an Aviary. So no disease. I can get him for half what I would pay for other ones but that's the question. I am very patient and no one but me and Hubby.We are retired(work part time). Should I or maybe not???
    Shirley
  3. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

and visit him a few more times before deciding to get him?
    Cockatoos are the most needy parrots around. Goffins are not as high maintenance as Moluccans or Umbrellas but a Too needs a lot of attention. Are you familiar with the breed? If not, do some research and look up the 'Mytoos' message board. You will find frank answers that may help you decide.
  4. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have not seen the bird at all. Just got pics on my e-mail. He's in an Aviary and was tested disease free. It is a long drive to pick him up or see him! I think he just needs someone to care for him. I may be wrong though and not sure how to proceed. Have never had a Too,so I know nothing about them.I will read on My Toos message board and see what I find out.
    Thanks Shirley
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

lots of us own birds.I for 1 have 7 of them. We may be able to see something if we see the pictures.

The Avery said it was in good health? I love birds so much that I myself would give it a shot.

Maybe hes plucking due to boredom.

Sue
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

many birds pluck from sheer boredom, maybe it never gets let out or is never given attention.

Good luck

love
    Rosie
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hi All.
    I added picture of Goffin to my profile.I figured out how to put it there. Thanks
    Shirley
  8. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

He is cute and acording to test done 2 weeks ago he is disease free. I think he needs love and attention he's not getting where he is. Maybe wrong b/c I don't know alot about birds but he sure looks needy. The price would be really hard to pass up/about half what others are asking!
    So any help from you Bird Lovers will be very much appreciated!
    Thanks Shirley
  9. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

It's a hard call, because you wont really know his personanlity till weeks after he is in your home because they go through a 'honeymoon' stage. Unfortunatly the seller may not reveal all about him. The people who I have spoken to who have a goffins all love them dearly and am so glad they have them. I love their sweet inquisitive expression. See how you feel after you do research and then decide. There is no perfect parrot and perhaps this little goffins' good points will soar high above any bad. It's really a question of YOUR personality. As you probably know, parrots are not comparable with dogs and cats. If there is a place in your heart for a parrot and you can in the best of your ability offer a forever home, then go for it.
  10. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have done tons of research about Goffins and read about them on the "My Toos" board. They all said they were not as bad as the larger Toos. What really attracts me to them is their loving nature. They love being cuddled and made over. Where Greys aren't like that--at lest that is what they all say--don't know!I think this little Guy hasn't had any kind of life --so far.He would be a welcome addtion to my home!
    I know that I can love him and make his life better.
    Shirley