(OT) Good thing I love those furbabies so much

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by emttoni, Oct 17, 2006.

1. emttoni

emttoni New Member

We went to Walmart yesterday to get the pet food for the month. Bought:
    1 - 50 lb. Bag Dog Chow
    3 - 22 lb. Bags of Dog Chow (sale, limit 3)
    2 - 17.5 lb. Bags of Puppy Chow
    1 - 20 Lb. Bag of Cat Chow

Of course it is for 5 dogs and 4 cats, but I guess I never set down and figured all of it up before.

We did end up with a 5 month old shit tsu this week that my f-i-l bought for himself and with his health the way it is he couldnt keep it. He is telling us we are only babysitting him, but he cant take him back and take care of him.

So, now I have 3 outside cats, 1 inside/outside cat, a shih tsu, a cocker, a chow, an australian shepherd and a rotweiller.

Oh and then the other day we were going somewhere and at the stop sign 1/4 mile from my house someone had dropped off a puppy and left it there. This happens every year at this time - lots and lots of drop-offs. Makes me sooo mad! I cant afford any more!!

Didnt mean to make this a rant! oops!
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

then you add frontine 17 bucks a furbie, heartworm protection, it doesn't take long to add up. I have a austrialian shep mix, she has the blue marble eyes and a solis white lab mix and 1 kitty.

I don't know what I would do without them.

Is there a no kill shelter in your area for the drop off?

You are a good person to take on all the furbies, best of luck-CArla
  3. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

I understand completely, you gotta love your furbabies but they can definitely get expensive.

Have 2 golden retrievers, age 4 and 1. One cat that is 6 and one that is 1 1/2 years old, named Mischief.........enough said there. Brought her into the house about 1 year ago when my daughter called me to the porch and said, mom can we ppllllllllleeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeee keep her, and animal lover that I am said yes. Found out after she was accepted into our home that she brought a horrible dose of fleas with her. Finally got all the pets cleared up and not playing the itchy and scratchy show any more.

Then about 5 weeks ago, once again, i was suckered into another "pet". A friend of a friend type deal where they had gotten this adorable little puppy and then got admitted to the hospital, it was supposed to be for 2 days..........here we are almost 6 weeks later and still have a non-housetrained little furball that ALSO brought a nasty case of fleas into the house, so again, animals go to the vet, get shots, meds, etc, costs almost $120 when all said and done, then went to walmart and got food, litter, etc, and by now i'm thinking, well, the dogs and cats are doing okay but there's no money left for us to eat!!!! Now after all this mayhem, throw in 2 teenagers, their friends, family that comes to visit and stay all the time, a 4 month old godchild we are helping to raise and all i can say is CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!!!!

Anyhow, sorry for going on and on, it's just been a mad house here and this seemed the opportune time for me to vent a little.

Lis
  4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

$100 month...

I have two labs now and I will only feed them the best...Flint River Ranch...

It has kept them the healthiest therefore I save big bucks at the vet (knock wood) and I don't allow any other nasty things to get in them...

Hubby ran out Sunday for my oldest boys 10th birthday and for just 2 BIG nylabones it was over $40.00

When I had my other boy Moose, he ate the most and we should have had stock in nylabones...We have Moose's basket still ful of over $1000 in toys...

Wait, I have to add the sockeye salmon, and the organic sweet potatoes and carrots...tehe...good thing I was a groomer, at least I save on their groomings which I still do myself...

With all this complaining, they're still cheaper than the two-legged version and they seldom talk back...My oldest gets quite verbal with me, the brat that he is...

So let's enjoy them while they are here...I would give my left arm and gladly still pay all the bills for my Moose, if I could only hold him one more time...

To all the wonderful furbabies out there, they're worth it.

Thank you for taking those strays in and caring for them so well...Blessings to you,Alicia
  5. emttoni

emttoni New Member

They have the whole neighborhood thinking they are killers but if someone were to break in my house they would have to worry about getting licked to death and beat to death by tails!
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have a golden and a lab and they can be very expensive.

The lab, Aster, got sick a couple months ago and when we were all done at the vet's the price was $228 to find out she had basically the flu!

Mommadove - I also use Flint River Ranch. We use the senior plus for both dogs. My cost is only about $53.00 a month for 40 lbs. (two 20 lb bags). I love that they deliver it at no cost so I don't have to go get it and try to carry it!

Doesn't matter what they cost, I wouldn't give them up!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  7. emttoni

emttoni New Member

My cocker that I got for my girls but who latched on to me got sick several years ago. He had a spotted belly and was passing blood out his eyes, ears, and other body openings. Took him to the vet and found out he had ideopathic thrombocytopenia. He has had it twice now and each time it has cost me over $1200 to save him! All that for a free dog! OF course every day on the way to the vet to see him, just knowing I was going to have him put down, I was bawling my eyes out. We were all glad to have him home. He is momma's baby! Now any time we know he is going to be in a stressful situation we give him doggy downers to help keep that disease at bay.