OT: guitar instruction book giggle

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I was browsing through the 117 titles on my public library's website on how to play the guitar and wondering which beginner book to choose. Here are some titles that caught my eye...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing the Guitar
    Guitar for Dummies
    Play the Guitar in Two Weeks
    Play Guitar Today
    Play the Guitar Instantly
    Play Guitar Like the Monkeys (1966) :D

lol Hope you chuckled. ;)
    ((sore fingers & slaughtered tunes)) Shannon
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

Thanks for some good grins and giggles.........Susan
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I like "Play Guitar Like the Monkeys."
    Weren't the Monkees infamous for NOT playing their own instruments on their TV show?
    Ken
  4. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

I like that one too. The only one who did really play with any degree of success was Mike Nesmith.

Anyway, if you are looking for beginner guitar books, let me know. My son teaches and I will ask him to recommend some that he uses with his students.
  5. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Are you considering taking up the guitar? I play piano (not great but ok). Anyway, since I'm not able to sit at the piano long because of pain, I got the idea last summer to try the harmonica. Got on the net to learn somthing about it, and before I knew it I had ordered one and an instruction book. I'm enjoying learning something new even if I am an old lady (57). I've always enjoyed learning new things. Took tap dance classes for 8 years until CFS hit me. Started that at age 41. That was so much fun that I took two classes a week. My dancing friends and I even did the recitals. It was a blast! Hope you have a great time with the guitar if that what you want to do.
    Barb
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Good for you girl! I would suggest maybe Mel Bay. Or something like that. I play guitar myself. My husband bought me a gorgeous ephiphone electric guitar, it is so cool!It is red and yellow. I bought myself a banjo when at a fleamarket about a month ago. I never have played one before. It is interesting to try and learn a new instrument to say the least.I need to buy some finger picks to play it right. Oh yeah, Esteban is a great latin type guitar player who puts out a lot of guitar courses. He is really good and makes the classes fun. I have several of his tapes and cds. You can goggle or ebay search to find his stuff. He also put out a nice guitar with his name on it. I sure don't need anymore guitars though so I only bought the courses. I would stick to the more traditional type music books that have the most real music teaching in them. I think it is wonderful that you want to learn!

Take Care!
    Kellyann
  7. Shannonsparkles

The books came in today! One was dull and difficult. The other one I ficked was on fingerpicking. I spent an hour today trying to play the tune to Skip to My Lou while picking out an off and on baseline at the same time using tabs. Torture! But I like a challenge!!!!

I should mention that I play the guitar lying down. I was trying to learn some chords years ago, but I stopped when I couldn't sit up anymore. Now I know that I don't have to sit up at all! Go figure. :)
    (( )) Shannon
  8. TAM

TAM New Member

Hi Shannon,

I'll have to tell my son that he will get a good laugh.
    He loves playing guitar, he has 6 of them his favorite one is his gibson, he's only 14 and he is pretty darn good if i do say so.

Thanks for the laugh, Take care. Tammy
  9. Shannonsparkles

Wow! Six guitars! I really want another one myself. I'm using dad's guitar. It's big and awkward to use lying down, and harder on the fingers than other guitars I have tried. Also, it just doesn't sound too great. But I'm glad it's here. I was thinking a small classical guitar would be nice eventually.