OT: Halloween ruined....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Oct 31, 2006.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I had to rant. There was no escaping it. I know people on here are nice.

So, Halloween has ONCE AGAIN been ruined for me. The past four halloweens have been ruined. What's another to add to the list?

It started out lovely, I found pieces for my costume (original one, anyway) and all was well. My friend came over as planned, and we sat out on the porch waiting for kids. Car goes by...car goes by...car goes by...We sat out there for an hour and no one stopped. Plus it started raining, and halfway through I had to change costumes because I was so cold.

Then I found out my friend was supposed to call her mum at 7, and if our house wasn't busy, she was to go home. Naturally, she had to go home.

So I'm done with Halloween. I've given up.
    Plus the gummi bears are making me sick >_<

Sorry for the rant, but I was really mad...Insignificant problem, but still mad.
  2. misskoji

misskoji Member

I'm sorry your halloween sucked. Mine did too if it makes you feel better.

It's such a disapointment, especially when you went through all the trouble of getting dressed up. Wish I could have seen your costume : (

Don't really have any words of wisdom. Just wanted you to know I wish you could come over and boogie to Fernando with me! LOL

Hugs
    Deanna
  3. johnston

johnston New Member

says here are my trick or treaters. It will make you smile, I think. Also there are other responses on there similar to yours...........Rhonda
  4. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Misskoji, Well, the costume is posted now. I look like such a dork, but not as much as I did in my original costume XD
    I had on a shortish plaid skirt with a white t-shirt that i had covered in "blood" plus I had blood trails from my mouth. It didn't look very scary tho, but it was fun at least. Then it got too cold and I had to change to my ehm...fairy...princess....medieval...thing. I honestly don't know why I had my mum make it in pink...but I guess that shows how much changes in two years ;)

*gasp* FERNANDO! *dances* Can I bring my bamboo plant by the same name? He'd love it. He's a great boogier.

Maybe we can start an unhalloween club? Or maybe we can just have Ducky day instead. ^_^

Johnston, I will have to take a look at that thread of yours ;) and it's good to know that at least I wasn't the only one who had a sad panda day.

Hugs <3
    Jen

[This Message was Edited on 10/31/2006]
  5. Geegafer

Geegafer New Member

Our Trick or Treat Night was on Sunday.
    I live in a quiet burb with fairly newer homes and young families. A total of 48 homes in all. We are separated from other neighborhoods by farms and country side.
    Secluded and unique. I like it that way.
    Well Sunday "Trick or Treat" time was about to start in 15 minutes or so and suddenly, Vans, cars and SUV's pulled up and dropped off thier chilren in droves.
    We bought maybe 350 pieces of candy to pass out and in 1 hour we were wipped out.
    Many of the kids who lived here did not get anything from us since these "outsiders" came by the dozens at a time.
    Worst yet many of them were well past the reasonable age of 'elegible' kids. Some boys had on football jersey's some girs had on blobs of make-up and some of these bigger kids were in plain clothes.
    Talk about a let down. I said to some of them "what are you supposed to be dressed as"? You couldn't tell.
    Then the cute adorable little ones came to the door and I was out of candy.
    UGH.
    I blame the parents. I'm getting to hate this fraudulent holiday.
    Boo to all and sorry.
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'm in the deep South in a rather conservative state, so Halloween is sort of an anticlimax. We have trick-or-treating, but it is way out-advertised by "Halloween Alternatives" (no kidding -- that's the way these things are sub-phrased) such as Fall Festivals and Autumn Parties and all sorts of other creative get-togethers that involve food, perhaps costumes, and lots of pumpkins, but NO 'Halloween'.

I'd be thrilled if we had tons of kids come by. I even like the teenagers. I think they get a kick out of being able to still get candy especially now that they're aware that very few things in the rest of their life are going to be free. I don't think we've averaged a dozen little 'groups' (2 or 3 kids at a time) in the last few years. We only had 10 tonight.

My son dressed like Han Solo from Star Wars and did a few blocks with my husband. He's decided that, even though a lot of kids aren't out (being a school night doesn't help -- and I can't ever imagine a public-sanctioned *Sunday night* trick-or-treating around here), each house gives a bigger bunch of candy, so he doesn't have to walk as far. We live in an old neighborhood, so the families are more of a mixed bunch. A lot of people drive to the developments to hit more houses in a smaller walk -- besides, there are more young families in those areas.

I figure my son got enough candy to last til the next big holiday season. I've promised myself I won't look in his treat bag!

And oh does my belly ache! Let's see...(at least they're all mini-sized)...Twizzlers, Peppermint Patties, Three Musketeers, Starburst, Gummy Hamburgers....after all, what ELSE were me and the neighbor to do while we were fruitlessly waiting for all the kids that didn't come?!
  7. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I hate when other older kids make a bad name for us v_v I love Halloween for the dressing up, but that is why I don't go trick-or-treating anymore, because most people would say I'm too old.

That's really awful what happened with the big groups of people coming to your neighborhood. I understand people wanting to enjoy trick-or-treat but they should stay in their own areas...it's too hard to figure how much candy you will need if people do that.

Here most people do the party thing once you get older. I don't like parties, most of them (of course, not all) involve drinking. I don't want to get myself into trouble like that so I just stay home...it's not like I've been invited anymore anyway since people found out I'm a goody-goody.

Ahh, how I miss the days of trick-or-treat. My neighborhood (small) gave out LARGE amounts of candy as well. I'd have 3 of those plastic jack-o-lanterns full with just one trip around, and I can't say there are more than 40 houses. I got lucky a few years ago. There was a big fight about whether trick-or-treat should be on a school night or not. I just happen to live on the county line...one county said yes, one county said no ;) I got two nights of trick-or-treating out of the deal.
  8. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

This is one of my favorite holidays. I'm sorry it got ruined for your duckie but your costume is SOOO pretty. We went trick or treating in the neighborhood my mom's boss lives in. When I was little Patti (my mom's boss) and her husband George went trick or treating with us in our neighborhood but now there aren't any more kids. :) We were all laughing because it's come full circle. So there was a little group of us (Me my mom my daughter *16 months* marci *my mom's coworker* her mom and her daughter DiDi *6-7*) wandering around a strange neighborhood. :) Then we went back to the house and DiDi and Ari ran around like crazy people while we had chili. Ari went as a Lion and I wore my normal clothes with a note card saying "Lion Tamer" written on it in pretty marker and all. I thought it was funny. All in all it was one of the better halloween's I've had lately. I hope your next one is better duckie!
  9. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Got my bowl of candy, all wrapped up in little Halloween bags, decorations out front and so far (it's 7:30) only 5 takers and one of those was a dog!

I guess a lot of kids go the malls now . . .

Anyway, Duckie - I can relate. You get excited for a fun tradition and then, what gives.

ps - what was your costume?
  10. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Wow, chili must have been the dinner of choice tonight! I guess a good warm food for a cold night ;)

My costume was supposed to be a medieval dress from Lord of the Rings, but me being strangely abnormal in the head, wanted it in bright pink. So mum made it in pink. Tonight's costume was really just a bunch of randomness put together to stay warm ^_^ Those extra-long sleeves came very much in handy.

ACK! I just read some of the ghost stories in Mysticbrit's thread and I can now safely say I have been Halloweened. Hahaha. Too much for one night. [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2006]
  11. FM58

FM58 New Member

Oh, Nerdieduckie- so sorry to hear your Halloween was so crummy.

We live in a rather old neighborhood. For the last couple of years we have been getting some pretty decent crowds. Since the weather was so good this year - it was actually 70 degrees this afternoon! I figured we'd have huge amounts of kiddies.

We had several bunches of young children. They were so cute in their costumes & having such a fun time Trick-or-Treating! My dog (a little bichon) was causing such a big fuss every time someone came up the driveway - barking & growling (aaaarrrrggghhh!) He even scared one crowd of kiddies away :(

Finally my doggie caught on, & stopped the barking- what he really wanted to do, was go outside & see the kiddo's. He wanted to get petted by everyone who came for candy! Since he had on a Halloween collar, most of the Trick-or-Treaters asked if they could pet him- they thought he was cute too. So things worked out, he was happy & gave out kisses along with candy!

I was dressed up too - as a "Fabulous Witch" with a very cool hat! My Brownie troop loved it!

Patty
  12. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

*gasp*
    *tackles/huggles your bichon*
    Cuuuuuuute. My cat was so confused...he kept staring at my friend and me sitting outside like we were idiots, then he would run from the sound effects cd because it was scaring him.

Mum and dad wanted to get him a little hat and cape but I said NO! I'm not too big on the whole dressing up thing for the pets. I'm pretty sure that my cat would murder us in our sleep if we did anything like that to him anyway.
  13. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

omg lmao. that cousin it costume sounds quite original, but amazing! I can't say I've ever heard of anyone doing that before.

unfortunately i'm never very good at having a party by myself. I always get all sad and depressed. it was basically my own party last year when I tried to have one and had two people show up. Still better than none though.

Thanks about the costume, I do have to admit it was rather figure-flattering in person :p Which is quite strange since it's from two years ago and I've gained weight since then...hm.

Gah, candy. I have tons and most of it I can't eat. Unless i eat it sparingly and run for the mint tea...but oh how I love those pixy stix >_> <_< And I now have more playdoh then I previously did, but half goes to my friend.
  14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

What is disappointment!!! I am sorry you missed all the kids. My husband really looks forward to Halloween.

In our neighborhood all the little kids meet in a park near our house each year. They then depart to do their "trick or treating".

I have never seen such cute kids. All the parents are with them and every single one says thank you.

This year my husband counted over 70 little ones - every year I say I am going to take pictures.

I hope next year is better for you...
  15. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i'm sorry to hear your halloween ended up being a bummer. i just had to tell you that i don't think your ever to old to go trick or treating. quite a while ago now when i was a senior in high school a bunch of my friends and i dressed up for halloween and went trick or treating, we had a great time, and even though a few people commented that we were a little old for it, most of the people seemed to think it was funny and were cool with it. i don't tell anyone who shows up at my house now that they are to old as long as they have a costume on. next year you ought to go out and get some candy!
    rachel
  16. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

since we live so far out in the boonies, it's impossible to walk to all the neighbors.

My oldest is 15 and he had my nephew go with him around town.... my husband and I took our daughter out. She was so cute!! She was Cheer Bear, and dummy me, I didn't get a picture of her!

As for age cut offs...I don't know...I guess when they graduate high school! LOL
    Kids grow up too fast these days, and I say let kids be kids for a while...including trick or treating. They still deserve some innocence in their lives.
  17. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Prickles, I LOVE the jumpsuit! If I ever get that skinny, you better watch it :D (Don't worry, there shouldn't EVER be a problem here, hahaha) My hair was that temporary spray stuff, but I told mum that I thought I should dye it that color. Have been wanting to dye it green for a while now, but there's this nasty thing called school lurking in the shadows and I'd have to uncolor it before I go back. *kicks school*

"you're the only one in the room" eh? hahahaha. I love it. Don't love the smoke much though. Hooray they're passing lots of no-smoking bans here, but here is not there :( Well at least you got to go out..er..down there for a bit, and indeed, I think that would one-up heating pads...tho I dunno...I quite love my heating pads.

Rachel432, Hooray! So someone doesn't think so at least. It seemed all my friends' parents at one time believed that there was a law stating once you were over 12 you couldn't trick-or-treat. The only law is that once you're over 12 you can't wear a mask, so that ended the trick-or-treating for me, but if I can convince my friend's mum I may drag my friend out next year. I don't want another bummer halloween! I heart Halloween...

lil_angel, awww cheer bear. that sounds really adorable! My parents used to take me to my grandparents' neighborhood which (to me) IS in the boonies, but there were lots of community things and you could trust people fairly well there.

*makes the age cut-off for trick-or-treating "Six-feet-under."* Heck, I wanna trick-or-treat with my grandkids :D

Well everyone, happy November to you all. *hands out tubs of playdoh* Just don't eat it if you're allergic to wheat. One of the many things I've found out. Not that I ever considered eating playdoh, mind you.

18. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

We had our first trick-or-treaters since I've lived here, eleven years!

We live about 6 miles from town and the neighbors are pretty far away. One saw my DH as he was going to feed the cows and stopped to ask if we would be home. My DH called me at work and said to bring home some candy. Then he said never mind, I'll go get it so I know I'll get what I like!

They brought their two boys by and I let them take handsful of candy. Then another neighbor brought their 10 year old and (almost) four year old twins.

After that we turned off the porch light. We don't have a problem with people dropping off van loads because we are fairly isolated.

And, we had chili in bread bowls for dinner last night! Must be a new Halloween tradition!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies (who have to be shut in the bedroom when trick-or-treaters come!)!!
  19. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

That's really kinda sad.
    I can understand why parents would prefer such alternatives, but it's as my dad said: all it takes is a few bad people to ruin something nice.

I've personally never had a bad experience with Halloween (almost typed Christmas, mum already has Christmas music on LOL) but it gets a really bad rap from other people so everyone else is like AHHHHHHHH OMG! and don't want their kids doing any of the old traditions...

20. Juloo

Juloo Member

I came home early from work because my neighbor locked herself out of her car, and I had a spare to her house...to find her spare car key, etc. Anyhow, I noticed that all along the street, fliers had been stuck in mailbox flags and against door jambs -- religious tracts about worshiping false gods. Coincidentally, when I drove back down the street to return to work, I noticed that only the houses that had Halloween decorations up had been so visited. I feel like I just got a visit from the anti-Halloween patrol!