OT ...Has anyone had knee replacement surgery?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Just curious as I will need one , maybe two down the road. If so, how long ago, was it really painful and hard to recover from it?
  2. gnanny

gnanny New Member

interested to see what input you get.

Color me ...chicken.
    take care, nanny
  3. fificat

fificat New Member

was told that it was in my near future. but the kicker is I'm 23yrs old...LoL and I've already had 2 surgeries on my right knee since in this past 3 yrs. All due to a bad car accident... Believe me I'm as scared as you..
    Still walking pretty..haha =)
    Sharlie
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

My sister has had total knee replacements in both knees.

Her doctor recommended that she get both done at the same time. He said this is because he was afraid that she would not have the second one done after getting the first one done.

She told me that she was glad that she had only one done at a time. She advises to NEVER GET BOTH KNEES DONE AT THE SAME TIME!!! She said you would never be able to handle it--walking, going up and down stairs, and even trying to sit down on the toilet!!!

According to her, the pain level all depends upon how your own personal tolerence for pain is. She said it was rough for the first couple days, but they give you some pretty high-powered pain meds to help you out.

She recovered really well. You need to practice walking on crutches and if you can't, then you need to prepare to get you a set of the arm-type crutches to get home on. I think the hospital only gives out the wooden crutches.

Also, I think her surgeon started her on knee exercises (for both knees) BEFORE the surgery in order to build up her muscles in it. He said it would benefit her after the surgery.

That's all she told me about it.

Take care,
    Janet
  5. doing both knees would be bad. I can't use crutches so I would/will be in trouble.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Synvisc injections may be an option. Once things have progressed too far, they aren't as effective. Mine have helped a lot and my doc is hoping that they can delay surgery indefinately. The injections can be repeated.

Some are helped by them and some are not. I figured I would try it in order to avoid the surgery.

Love, Mikie
  7. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I am 45 female and had total left knee replacement last Sept. It does great now but the recuperation period of maybe 12 weeks is pretty tough. It was the most [painful thing I have ever experienced for a while but then it is so worth it. My knee is the only thing on my body that doesnt hurt. I can do anything I want to with it. It isnt quite as flexible as b4 but I can walk with no pain. Good luck, be prepared that it is a tough surgery but so wellworth it in the end. Let me know if I can answer any thing for you.

ALso be prepared with major surgery some depression is normal. Physical Therapy is hard but if you work hard it is all good in the end. My surgeon was great,they dont skimp on the pain meds so it is all bearbale. I had never had major surgery and I think I just was not prepared for the pain.

I also tried synvisc and had the arthroscptic surgery first but to no real improvement.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2005]

Also, my doc had me use a walker which is much easier than cruthches[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2005]
  8. 2bluwings

2bluwings New Member

Hi,

I have had fibromyalgia for MANY years. For the last year, I've been suffering with increasingly more painful knee pain. I went to an orthopod and went from the least aggressive treatment (steroid injections, I guess), to the SynVisc (didn't help). I had arthroscopic surgery in April and came out of that with MORE pain and a very active fibro flareup.

The pain has gotten so bad that even with narcotic pain pills, I'm in constant pain. My surgeon knows about osteoarthritis but doesn't know much about fibro.

I am afraid if I have the knee replacement, I'll have 1) extra pain because the surgery will cause the fibro to flare 2) extra rehab time (again because of the fibro).

Has anyone with fibro and related problems had a full knee replacement?

Thanks. Linda...in A LOT of pain
  9. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

But having worked in acute care/ surgical recovery, i can tell you a little of the little I know.

I have had patients that are so happy following the surgery because even with the post-surgical pain, their pain level feels reduced from when they came in. The first day after surgery, there is a rest period- you would likely have a PCA- a patient-controlled-analgesic. In other words, when you need more morphine, you push a little button.

After that, it is important to get the knee joint moving. Joints don't have a blood flow to carry healing nutrients to the places where it is needed. In order for a joint to heal, and to facilitate lubrication, the synovial fluid inside the joint must circulate. It is the flexion and extension of the joint that circulates synovial fluid. So, very likely, as early as the morning after your surgery, a PT will bring you a machine that will flex your knee for you. This is because although it needs to happen- you having to do it on your own right now would require a lot of concentration on that area, which would, of course, increase your awareness of your pain. So, prior to their positioning this machine under your leg and strapping it in very gently, you may want to push your little button!

The machine will begin flexing your leg ever so slightly, holding it in that position for several seconds, then gently relaxing it back down. The machine goes slow, and the best thing a patient can do is to focus away from the machine at this point and try to relax your entire body. Attempting to tense the muscles actively will only intensify any pain. As you adjust to the initial flexion, it will be raised up periodically. This treatment should be done at least three times/ day. This is a good time to get your knee as much exercise as possible, because you can't take the morphine button home with you!

By the second day, PT will usually want you out of bed, but bearing no weight on your knee. You will be encouraged to get up and about, only touching your toe to the ground as you ambulate. After that you will progress in your weight-bearing ability. They may offer you a walker once you can bear weight on the surgical leg. They will taper down the pain meds to oral ones before sending you home. You may end up taking the passive motion thingie home with you, depending on the degree you are progressed to.

I have only had one patient that reached a full 90 degrees within his hospital stay. Your determination and will has a lot to do with the outcome. Some patients want to hit the morphine button and sleep, only doing what the nurses and PT tell them to. Others use the morphine as a way to make them able to be more tolerant of the pain from exercising that knee. Those are the ones who seem to end up reporting less overall pain and a quicker recovery.

As far as what your FM will do once you get home, I have no idea, but I would suggest that you discuss that with your doctor beforehand, so he is ready to deal with an increase in your pain that might lead to less movement of that joint that needs to heal. If you don't move it, the tissues within the joint capsule starve, so he will likely need to keep a close eye on your progress!

Good Luck!
    Lollie

p.s. keep as much fresh ice as you can get packed around your knee- it is one of the most potent pain relievers for post-surgical pain! Also, you may consider taking Arnica 6x the week before and the week following surgery.
  10. 2bluwings

2bluwings New Member

Lollie,

Thanks SO MUCH for your very detailed, and extremely helpful, description.

I particularly like your advice about focusing away from the pain. It reminds me of when, in 1988, I had jaw surgery to try to help my TMJ problem, and I was in EXTREME pain right after. There was no morphine pump, in those days. I spent the first sleepless night trying to focus on my big toe to try to get my mind off the pain.

I know about the morphine pumps. On July 20th, my husband had emergency surgery for a colon performation/perotinitis and he had one. He's actually scheduled to go back into surgery this coming Mon. (the 7th) to have the colostomy reversed that he had to have in July. Once he is fully recovered, I'll have the knee surgery so that may be Jan. 2006.

I guess that even if I have a fibro flare from the surgery, I'll be in so much pain right after the surgery, the pump will help any of the fibro pain as well. I just wonder how bad the fibro pain will be during the rehab stage in the days, weeks and months to come.

blessings, Linda...
  11. snooks70

snooks70 New Member

i am a 70 yr old lady and inapril i had both knees done. the pain before surgery was awful, and i had to push my surgery baaaaack for 6 weeks cause i developed a blood clot in a leg. so for the month before surgery i was just about house bound cause i hurt so bad, i had to use a walker to get around..even in the house. then after surgery because i am alone, i had to go into a nursing so i could get my rehab. and im here to tell you after surgery it was pure hell. very painful. but i started my rehab and in a couple of weeks i ws more or less on my own, i was up and down the halls with my walker or wheel chair, went down for rehab 5 days a week, and when i got home i did the rehab at home and slowly the knees started to feel better, they arfe great now and im so glad ihad them done at the same time. now if my back didnt hurt id feel 100% A ok. if you need the surgery go for it. you'll be glad you did.
  12. snooks70

snooks70 New Member

i had the shots in my knees .. 3 series at 3 shots each and they didnt do anything for me. and i thought the shots hurt terribly bad. my knees were rubbing bone on bone. bad news . glad i had them done.