OT- Has Anyone Looked into Medical Transcriptionist??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bunnyfluff, Jan 11, 2006.

1. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Just wondering......I see the ads, and I have considered it as a retirement-type job. Seems great for people like us, we can do it from home! Plus you could do it from anywhere.

Do you know anyone who does this or has tried this??
  2. GBHope

GBHope New Member

when I got sick and even that was to much when I tried to do it again a few years ago. I just got worse, but I think it would depend on your level of illness, but it's a great idea if you can manage it!

GBHope
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

the skill reads as dictaphone on my resume though. I loved it.

Jeanne
  4. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I love doing transcription -- find it odddly soothing in a weird way.

If you do it, though, make sure you pay very close attention to the ergonomics of your workstation -- make sure it fits you perfectly, so you don't end up making your pain worse by a repetitive stress injury. Also, take breaks every half hour and stretch your muscles all over. Typing can be really, really hard on the body!

5. kgangel

kgangel New Member

This is something I would love to try to do at home. I miss working and have some experience with this.

If you hear of a place that is genuine and looking for typing help of any kind that can be done from home. Please share with me, I am very interested in it.

Thank you soooo much

kgangel
  6. GBHope

GBHope New Member

for national company, Medquist. I was very happy during the last 3-1/2 years of working with them, I just couldn't physically manage it anymore. The company has sign-on bonuses too. You can also look on MTDaily.com and they have all kinds of medical transcription jobs listed that are added to everyday. Good luck.

GBHope
  7. Joyce1

Joyce1 New Member

I hope I can post this. Not for self promotion just a really awesome resource. I currently do work from home as a Cust serv rep (lying flat on my back, but what do they know). Go to workplacelikehome.com. A great forum for many LEGIT companies. I work for west and live ops.

hope this helps. wish I found this stuff long time ago.

joyce
  8. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

does this from home. She loves it. She did mainly so she could stay at home with the kids. She does not have FM (like me) or CFS, but she loves the flexibility of it.
  9. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I mean, do you have to be pretty fast to make it pay??

What about medical billing??
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

do all these jobs require DSL speed? My guess from initially looking elsewhere is they do...

a problem for those of us who don't have access to it.
  11. GBHope

GBHope New Member

You need to be able to type I think at least around 65 words a minute. I was up around 100, but had done it for years and there are girls that are really, really fast. Yes, you need a high-speed internet connection.

GBHope
  12. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I would recommend this for anyone who has the medical background and can type at a good pace using a dictaphone! I had to quit about a year-and-a-half ago because of my dizziness - couldn't stay on the computer for long. I am hoping that I will get better and be able to work again.

If you do think you want to do it, the money is in it where you are paid by the lines (I was getting 7cents a line, which is actually pretty low - in 1990, I was getting 9 cents a line). If they pay by the page you are getting rooked and it's really not worth your time.

Also, Radiology pays well. Before I quit, I was working on a radiology account that paid 9 cents a line and because many of the reports were the same, I had a short-hand program which literally I could type in a couple letters and the whole report would come up, yet I would be paid as if I had typed it all out.

HOpe some of this info helps!

Jennifer
  13. catsmeow369mi

catsmeow369mi New Member

does this. I think she gets paid by the word but I'm not sure. She loves it.

My present daughter-in-law wants to do something like that.

I wouldn't mind giving it a try but I do income tax so I would have to wait until after April 15.

Val
  14. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

Just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in. I lost my job in September after 25 years of being a medical transcriptionist. I've had 2 carpal tunnel surgeries and am now dealing with tendinitis of the thumb, also from typing. I lost my job because I was unable to keep up with the production the hospital wanted (in house typing). Ergonomics are very important but still it is hard on one with FM. I feared my days of working were over before all this happened but now I plan on applying for disability as soon as I can. Those of us with FM are so susceptible to repetitive motion injuries. Also unless you get very easy dictators (doctors) it is very stressful trying to understand some of them. A lot of medical knowledge is needed to be able to do the reports and turn them around fast enough to make good money. I've considered typing at home but with the tendinitis of the thumb, I need surgery for that and have a pending Workmen's Comp claim with that. I'm not trying to be discouraging but think long and hard about it before you enter into a job like that unless you have a lot of experience.

Hope this helps, Judy