OT: Has anyone suddenly stopped sweating?-updated throughout...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjfms, Aug 8, 2006.

1. kjfms

kjfms Member

In the past 2 weeks I have stopped sweating even with the temperature up in the low 90s and the humidity high last I did not sweat at all.

This is with the air condition broken in my Jeep and driving over 30 minutes to work and still not sweating.

I am just not feeling very well I have called off work my physician couldn't yesterday but is going to see me today.

Anyway I was if anyone else has done this?

Thanks,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Karen, you need to call your doctor ASAP. Sweating is our body's mechanism of controlling your temperature. So, when the outside environment is too hot, sweating helps to keep you cool so that your body temperature does not go dangerously high.

If your body does not have the ability to sweat, for whatever reason, then it will not be able to keep your temperature from going dangerously high. This can often be a symptom of heat stroke.

Make sure you call your doctor and let them know of this new symptom. Also, are you taking any new medications? I remember when I took Topamax, one of it's dangerous side effects was decreased ability to sweat.

Hope this helps,
    Kim
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

When my Chronic Fatigue symptoms developed, I stopped sweating

It has been 5 years

I have to stay out of the heat, because my body can't cool down

It is very strange
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

Thanks for answering my post. I have an appointment with my physician today.

I have been drinking extra water, avoiding over exerting myself and keeping a close watch on my temperature.

I have been Topamax but I have been on it a while and this has developed recently. I have a pituitary tumor and hypothyroidism and suspect there is a connection with one of them instead of the FMS.

The only new medication is Lexapro but I have been on for a little over a month.

I was just wondering if anyone had done this as well.

I did take Topamax in the past and did not do this so I am doubtful that it is this. I have been on for several months and have had no change in sweating until about 2 weeks ago.

The odd thing is I am cold and I think I should be feeling warm...

I did let my physician know of this and her office called this morning and said she wanted to see today.

Thanks so much,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2006]
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am sorry you have CFS. I had read that could be a symptom and I am hoping that is not my case. I really do not want to start another bunch of tests.

They are still taking all kinds of blood for this pituitary tumor and I am just a little tired of it all. I am sure you know what I mean...LOL

Thank you so much for answering my post,

Karen
  6. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Gosh...I wish! I'm just the opposite; I sweat excessively.
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am not sure what to say have you seen you physician. I am sorry you sweat so much.

I am more than just a little concern about not sweating at all and so is my physician.

Good luck with you sweating issue I hope you find relief for it-I will assume you are wishing me luck as well so thank you.

kjfms
  8. raspberry_valley

raspberry_valley New Member

I've been told that my autonomic functions are out of control - apparently that's what happens to CFS patients. Heat control is one of the functions affected.

I had years when I couldnt break a sweat, thus calm a fever. Now most of the time if I begin to overheat and then sweat, I know that I've overdone it.

My GP, who has a very dry sense of humour, and with whom I have a good relationship, says that it will be good practise for the hot flushes of the menopause.

Have you noticed anything strange about your body core temperature. I was advised to keep a chart and I found that my core temperature is usually a few degrees below what it should be. This is also a symptom.

I do hope you got on/get on well when you see your Doctor, good luck.
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Since I got more ill, I stopped sweating. In the past I was dripping in the S.D desert, the heat is the same here in E. washington, but- no sweating. Our bodies doesn't regulate heat, I also get tachycardia really bad, and feel close to faint, and get muscle weakness.
  10. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

when i was first sick i didnt need deodorant just didnt sweat now i pour sweat. after a shower and blow drying hair my face is dripping with sweat cant even put on makeup.

my temp is low too i told nurse this is common among fm people she said shed never heard of that

11. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i go back and forth between sweating excessivly and not sweating at all. i also run fevers quite frequently. my dr's think this has to do with a "spot" i have in my hypothalamus which is an area that normally helps with temperature regulation. basically my body thermastat seems to be broken.
    all of us have such strange symptoms when something new happens it's always best to have it checked by a dr.
    rachel
  12. darude

darude New Member

Yup it's ha[[ened to me recently. Have been to ER as I got bad stomach pains as well. To do with PT I'm told
  13. kjfms

kjfms Member

raspberry_valley -core temperature has always been low because of Hypothyroidism and possibly FMS. Thank you so much for responding to my post. Yes I have a very good relationship with my physician she is great-a DO who is very carrying, very concerned, and knowledgeable in FMS.

Wake! My Tumor Partner in Crime...LOL (I love that hehe) :) How are you doing dear? OMG Wake I have gotten so lucky a physician where I am working is paying attention to my symptoms not just the test results...wooo hooo!!! She is running just some basic tests right now. She wants to get another MRI she is convince that the tumor is pressing on something or growing (scary) and then see what hormones might help me.

She is also checking my calcium last time it was check it was at 10 when it gets to 11 it is critical (not good) I am hoping for the best. She is the first physician to actually give me pain medication for FMS (Darvocet) and it is helping.

Wake make sure you are getting plenty of fluids and stay cool it can be dangerous to over heat. My physician is sure it is all Lucy's fault. (you remember my tumors name...LOL)

I hope you can find a better physician soon you really need one don't you?

Take care of you Wake :)

lenasvn- Gosh so sorry you are not sweating either. I guess you are getting plenty of fluids? Please take care of yourself and feel better. Thank you answering my post I really appreciate it. :)

Leftygg- Thanks for answering my post. I have always had to use a fan in the bathroom while getting ready to go to work or anywhere or I couldn't wear make-up. Now I don't have that problem-I guess that is the upside...LOL

Rachel- Is your physician going to do a biopsy or anything on this spot? I sure hope he/she will investigate it further. Best of luck to you and take care of your self. Thanks for responding to my post.

darude- My other Tumor Partner in Crime. I have been thinking about you lately. How are you? I am sorry you had to go to ER and do hope you are feeling a little better from that. Are you still not sweating or has it started back? Please take care of yourself and get plenty of fluids. I have stepped up on the fluid intake. I just hate this it make you feel like crap doesn't it? Good to hear from you :)

Thanks again to all,

Karen :)
  14. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Thank you for the well wishes. I have mentionoed it to me doctor, but because I have SO much wrong with me, we are concentrating on other issues. I will be zoning in on the sweating issue at my next visit.

And, YES, you bet I am wishing you the best as well!
    Good luck sweetie!

Hugs,
    "E"
  15. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am so glad you have mentioned you excessive sweating to your physician. OMG these DDs are just the worst aren't they?

I swear we just seem to go from one extreme to the other don't we?

I honestly don't know which is worse sweating to much or not sweating at all...we just can't win can we...LOL

Best of luck you. I am wishing you well and sending good thoughts you way.

I hope your physician is helping you and continues to do so.

Take care of you,

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2006]
  16. kjfms

kjfms Member

Well from the looks of it that is my only option when it gets to big or starts interfering with my vision. So far from all of the blood tests it is a Non-functioning which produces no extra amounts of hormones but can cause a lot of problems.

Well the Cortisol is on the high end of normal but we haven't discussed that yet. She is my new physician and we have a lot to go over and I do not want to overwhelm with everything at once...LOL

She is very good I do her transcription and I am very impressed with her ethics, treatment plans, and her treatment of patients and that says a lot in my book! :)

Yes from what I have they can and often do grow back. OMG what a kick in the pants-I have read quite a few people have them to grow back good grief talk about a let down.

Right now my growth hormone is showing no levels and that concerns me but haven't got to discuss this with my physician-we're more concerned the not sweating issue.

So I guess it is basically a waiting game-again. I do not see my physician for another six weeks unless I get worse.

Thanks for being such a good friend as always. I'll keep you updated and you keep me updated as well OK?

You take care too,

17. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

they actually can't biopsy the "spot" in my briain because of where it is. they actually would cause to much damage. all they can do is monitor it with mri's which they have been doing now for ten years. the worst thing that ever happened with it was at 22 i was seeing a really bad neuro doc who called me at work one day when it was found and said "you have a brain tumor". no one should ever get a call like that at work. i don't see that dr. anymore. it has only grown a minimal anount in 10yrs so my dr's and i agree we're leaving it alone. but i do wonder how many of the problem i have are due to that.
    rachel
  18. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I go back and forth between not sweating and sweating to much. It is so annoying. I can just be sitting at my computer and I`ll break out in a cold sweat. Its hard to have so many scary symptoms like we do and our doctors don`t take us seriously.
  19. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello!

I am sorry but I just do not have the energy to read through all of your replies to get this information. Are you taking any supplements or herbs?

The reason I am asking is I have been reading one of my herb books and there are a few that can cause a decrease in sweating.

I am so physically and emotionally exhausted so I am sorry I can't be more help but I wanted to at least point you in that direction if you were taking something like that.

If I have the energy later I will see if I can look them up for you.

Again sorry! I am just recovering from all these darn antibtiotics which are really taking it out of me and we also had a little trip this week which was a nightmare in the car with little guy! He doesn't like being in his carseat for hours on end which I don't blame him! :)

(((HUGS)))

kate
  20. kjfms

kjfms Member

Rachel,

First of please accept my apologies I misread you post and had a ding moment for some reason I was thinking you said thyroid. Good grief your physician called you at work and told you about this? He/she need to work on their bedside manner and sensitivity more than a little to say the least.

I am glad you are not seeing that idiot any longer-good for you. I would say it is causing a lot of problems. Have you done much research?

I am glad the growth rate is slow and hope it continues the same for you.

Best wishes,

Karen

Sandy,

Sorry you are having problems with sweating as well. I guess you have discussed the cold sweats with your physician -what did he/she say about it. Yes it is enough to make us go insane that is for sure isn't it?

Thank you so much and I hope you find some relief soon.

Take care,

Karen