OT - Has anyone used the new "silicone" bakeware?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jan 24, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I am considering buying some of the new silicone bakeware that it out now.

It is "supposed" to be stick-free -- when you bake muffins, you can twist it and they just pop right out??????

Just wanted some reviews on the stuff before I buy any, because I think it's rather expensive.

Thanks!!!!
    Janet
  2. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Janet!

Last year, I bought a pair of red silicone muffin trays (to make tiny muffins) and didn't like them.

1. Though I followed the prep instructions for baking, most of the tiny muffins stuck in their trays and I had to dig them out.

2. These trays are floppy, so you need to place them on a cookie sheet for support while baking. However, cleaning them up was easy.

Now I'm back to using regular muffin trays and it is working out a lot better. Sorry I wasted my money on the silicone ones.

Janice
  3. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I only tried the minni muffin pans once and they did kind of stick, nothing bad though.
    But I love the mats, we use them for cookies and pizza.... they are wonderful and the stuff stays soft, doesn't get crispie.
  4. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I use those all the time..anything from cookies to pizza to bread just slide right off them. I also have a 9" cake square, and I have also been very happy with that...I have done cakes in it that have turned out perfectly..I have also roasted chicken in it..and made pork chops in it..All worked well..and clean up was a breeze!
    Maybe the muffin one doesn't work as well for some reason...but I wouldn't hesitate to buy other pieces.
    Plus..NO EXTRA FAT..everything just slide right off!
  5. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Everything I read about silicone makes me wonder why anyone would want to use it to cook with it. (Think I saw an ad that mentioned some cooking sprays (for greasing pans) contained silicone. To me that is scary.) Time will tell if my fears are unfounded.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for your replies/info. It's always nice to know something about anything new before you purchase it.

I was thinking about buying the muffin pan, loaf pan, and the baking sheet.

But now, I think I will forget about the pans and maybe just go with the baking sheet.

Do you put the baking sheet on top of another cookie sheet?

Janet
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Until we know more about this substance, I think I'll stay away from it.

Love, Mikie