OT Have a question about canning?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sisland, Jun 22, 2006.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Does anyone here do any fruit and vegtable canning? wondering if it's ok to subtitute sugar suryp with splenda or honey?
    also wondering if anyone has tried the powered molasses that you just add water to to make suryp? ...........................thanks
  2. Toga

Toga Member

I know you can't use Splenda. To get the exact right answer call your local University Extension Center. I used to work at one.

Each county seat in every state has one. It is a Federal thing. They usually have a Nutritionist on staff that can answer your questions.

Ours was listed under Missouri University Extension Center. Just substitute your state and find the phone number.

If they don't have a Nutritionist, they'll find the answers and get back to you.

They will answer your question about anything and I mean anything. I learned so much when I worked there and got to the point where I could answer a lot of questions myself.

Good Luck. I'm real impressed that you are canning.

Toga

3. fabricaholic

fabricaholic New Member

I tried splenda (making jelly for my mom whos diabetic) andalso when I tried to make sweet pickles and let me say this "I sure dont know what I was thinking" cuz it was wrong very wrong.

If someone out there knows a good substitute for sugar that is good for a diabetic PLEASE let me know.

Fabricaholic.

4. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for the info!! I used to can every year when the girls were little and they loved everything ! peaches,pears apricots, beans, tomato's and our all time favorite was applesauce!! Yum!

anyway i was planning on doing it again this year but didn't want to add all the sugar since i've cut it out of my diet 98% !! so thankyou once again all! and i'm off to buy Honey and organic sugar !!
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

and we like peaches with no sugar whatsoever. I rinsed them in a lemon water solution, then packed em with hot water. They were good! Also, I have done unsweetened applesauce and my oldest daughter loved it as a baby! She still likes applesauce and plain yogurt....
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

7. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the info! I guess since you rinse them in Lemon wash it prevents them from turning brown? and then you just pack them with hot water!....................................sounds like a plan to me!!
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

more than half a century ago, it was common to overhear ladies in the grocery store:

Well, I did 16 quarts of tomatoes yesterday and I'm about half done. I think the peaches will be ready next week.

And when you went in anyone's celler there were usually home canned goods; sometimes a whole wall of them.

My mother would say, If Aunt Anna offers you anything to eat when you're there, just say No. Some of that canned stuff must be 20 years old. It's probably poisonous.

I didn't think anybody canned anymore. Remember this old saying?

Eat what you can, and what you can't, you can.
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes i remember all this! my mom and grandmothers were all avid canners! so i guess you could say that it was a part of my up bringing! lol i enjoy doing it and up here in montana the only fruit avavailable in the winter time are apples..............................................................oranges and thats about it!...............................sisland p.s. I'm not sure how long a shelf life is for canning! thats because we always ate it all!!lol
    [This Message was Edited on 06/23/2006]
  10. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Was called the number on the back of the splenda box and the lady sent alot of papers to me on ow to make jelly using splenda. Cupons too!!!
    Melinda