OT: Have Any of You Completed An Online Degree ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Jan 31, 2006.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi. I was wondering if anyone had completed an online degree while they've been sick with this DD.

If so, was it harder/easier than you thought? Which schools did you sign-up with?

Thank you.

Kendra
  2. millennia

millennia New Member

But my mother teaches at Kaplan. I know that they are really understanding there. In a regular school, you miss three classes, boom they lower your grade. Kaplan understands that there is a reason their students are going to school online and not in person. The teachers take your personal situation into consideration. Its really not a bad idea. Kaplan is set up more like a traditional college, you attend set classes at a certain time. Phoenix, I believe, has more of an open set-up, when you don't attend classes, you just do the reading and send in the assignments. Both have benefits. I think the classes will help you learn better, and might be more of a motivator (I need that sort of thing) and if like a lot of us, you don't get out as much as you like, it is nice to have the social setting that the classroom provides. You should look into both of them. I also hear Capella is good.
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

It was nice to read your post. I appreciate your input.

I currently work full time and It's becoming "almost mandatory" to have some type of college education.

I need to at least go for an associates degree. I will wait to see if more posts are placed on this thread.

Thanks again.

Kendra
  4. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

I got sick while attending U of Maryland and after having to take 2 years off, I knew I couldn’t return and decided I had to find some replacement. I went through an online degree consulting service that took all my requirements and make a comprehensive report of available online schools. I decided on University of Maryland University College (UMUC) and actually just graduated this past December. The classes are challenging and it is a bit pricey—but I suggest you check it out.
    Best,
    Carrie
  5. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

I went through the real estate coarse online and got my license. i was in such a fog when i did it, i dont know how i passed my exam which is not online.
    deb
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

7. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I am completing one now as we speak. It is hard as my concentration levels are just out there. I attend through the Univ of Phoenix online. My major is Human Services/Management which is in Sociology/Social Work.

I started taking classes in 2004 but I got too sick between working and everything else. Took a few more last year but not this year and on, I am going to do my schooling straight and finish. I am hoping to finish by the end of next year.

I hope that I will be feeling a little better by then so that I can work.

Nicole
  8. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I completed my Associates degree by taking as many online classes as possible. I really enjoy the online format and it works so much better for me because of this DD and absences with regular classes, etc.

Now I'm going back to finish my BA in legal studies. I've applied for online programs through Penn State and the University of Maryland University College. Both are a bit pricey, but pretty much all online only degree programs are. These two schools offered the programs that I wanted and the prices weren't outrageous so I decided to go for it. I'm just waiting to see which offers me a better financial aid package.

Bellevue University (www.bellevue.edu) is a college here in my area that offers a lot of accelerated online degrees and has students from all over the country. I was going to go there, but they didn't offer the legal studies or law & society option that I wanted.

Thomas Edison State College is another online school that I looked into. There are a bunch of options out there now.
  9. kch64

kch64 New Member

Thanks to all of you for the good suggestions. I'm feeling encouraged.

I talked to the counsellor from AIU and he said it sounds like I am close to an associates degree, just from the amount of college I've already taken and my work/life experience.

That makes me happy to hear.

Please if there is anyone else out there, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
    Kendra
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

but didn't do it...

but according to the info I had a few years ago, if you did an online degree in Iowa, you were charged the same tuition as in-state students, which might be helpful.

Wonder if U of Missouri has anything online? Their state charter gives free tuition to residents... wonder if it would extend to online as it does in Iowa...

Just some ideas, hope they're useful.
    Victoria
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It's not an online degree, but a college diploma course. Much cheaper than attending in person, and the same acceditation. I think I may have paid around $5000, though it's more now, they are always upgrading and expanding the course to keep up w/ industry standards.

It's through the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, actually the largest holistic college in Canada, w/ 9 locations last I knew. Not sure if they branched into the States, or if they offer the course internationally. It's been invaluable to my own personal recovery and has helped many others, even though I remain not well enough to take on a working client load, as of yet anyway.

jeanne
  12. toronto133

toronto133 New Member

at the University of Leicester, U.K. It suited my schedule with young kids and was a lot cheaper (about 15,000) than the University of Toronto executive MBA (about 70,000)

Denise