OT/Have to have a gallbladder ultrasound

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jun 26, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Went to the doctor last week with chronic back and shoulderblade pain. Doctor thinks I could have gallstones. I am still having some pain in the same areas, but it seems to come and go. Has anyone here had gallstones? If so, what were your symptoms and what did you end up doing?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Kriket
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

I looked here and found some helpful info. I should have looked here before I posted about gallstones. Sorry if this is a repeat, but I would still like to hear from some of you that have had them and your experiences.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I had a gallbladder full of stones, and had to have my gallbladder removed.

This was about 15-20 years ago! I had the "old-fashioned" surgery -- which was an incision about 10-12 inches long!

My daughter had her gallbladder removed by a scope which only involved a few 1/2" incisions for the scope. Tremendous improvement!! Really made a difference in her recovery time!

From what I can remember, I was getting sick to my stomach all the time, with lots of pain. I had just had a few attacks with kidney stones and could tell the difference in the types of pain as well as the location.

Some people have gallbladder attacks that mimic heart attacks!

Good luck with the ultrasound!

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I had an attack so bad, I went to the ER, and they finally took me to Surgery, to remove it.
    I still have a Dead spot, along the scar.

It took forever for the sensitive, to ease up, but I'm glad it was done.

Problem is now I have a Trigger point in that area, and I believe it is due to the Combo of FMS/CMPD.

Hoping you get the treatment that will relieve this for you, I think the pain, is right up there with having a Baby.
    Only with Labor pains, you get to take something Wonderful, like a Baby, home, after the Pain is over, lol.

I had a friend who kept her Stones in a Jar, Ick!

good luck to you, I know how miserable and painful this can be.

Hug's,
    sharonk
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I had gallstones about 3 years ago and I got pain in my right shoulder, under my ribs in the front that went all the wat throught to my back. I felt like I was having a heart attack on the wrong side.

I also had nausea, some vomiting and diarhhea during the attacks.

I had my gallbladder removed 2.5 years ago laparoscopically. I am very glad I got this done! I think my fibro was worsened by endurring a lot of attacks while I was waiting for surgery (long wait lists in Canada).

The operation itself is quite simple. It will be painful of course but much better than how they used to do it. The new surgery is definitly better!

Don't be scared of gallstones, this is something they can fix!!

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2006]
  6. housatonicman

housatonicman New Member

CANNOT digest fat correctly.

The gallbladder condenses bile to help fat digestion.

So to help your fat digestion, you will always need bile salts with each meal. Fat is an essential food, along with protein. You gotta have them. Carbs are not essential.

The brain is 60% fat, hormones need fats to be made correctly, many nerves have a sort of insulation on them made from fat.....
  7. shanel06

shanel06 New Member

I had a gallbladder "attack" four weeks ago and have had constant pain in the gallbladder area since. I have barely gone back to eating, the pain was that bad. The past couple of days haven't been too bad and I'm finally eating a bit more.

I had the ulrasound last week, so 3 weeks after the original attack. Got the results back yesterday. "Normal just slight calcifications". My g.p. said she didn't know what the heck that meant, and the radiologist who wrote the report wasn't responding to her calls. So she's sending me to a surgeon anyway. We know that I passed stones because they were evident in my stool. Whether those calcifications are smaller stones, or it's calcification of the gallbladder, she's not sure. The surgeon will likely run more tests.

I'm not sure if I want to have my gallbladder out. But I don't want to live in fear of eating anything with more than 1% fat for the rest of my life either. LOL

I do know that fat will always be a problem, as someone posted. The gallbladder obviously serves a purpose. But I have had 3 or 4 family members who had it removed in the past 3-50 years, and all of them lived much healthier and "normal" lives once they had it out.

My fear is my reaction to surgery. I had surgery to remove a cyst about 8 years ago, and it took me a long time to recover enough to just leave the hospital.

But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :)

Good luck !

shannon L.
  8. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

if the pain is worse after eating fatty foods, particularly dairy, and better after drinking the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon, it is likely your issue is gallstones. My doctor of osteopathy has been able to keep things moving and hellp the gallbladder thru the use of osteopathic manipulation. blessings. jen102
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

As the replies have already told you, it depends a lot on when it happens. I have to disagree with one post though that talks about the need for fat. We need good fats, like canola, olive oils and raw nuts but we don't need a lot of fat in our diet otherwise. Fatty meats and high fat dairy can make many conditions worse, including our cholesterol.

By the way, an ultra sounds of the gallbladder is no big thing and the surgery, while still surgery, is much simpler now. Try reducing the fat in your diet including dairy fats and see how you do.

I hope that someday doctors will have more than one measly class in nutrition! As far as I'm concerned, they should get a Minor in it.

Marta
  10. proo

proo New Member

Several years ago before my rheum. put me on Cipro for months, she asked about my gallbladder. I had no problems but she insisted on an ultrasound since Cipro will not work well if the g.b. does not work. I did indeed have a problem I knew nothing about. I had the surgery @ 4 pm, was home by 8 and was out walking briskly around the neighborhood @ 6:30 the next morning. I took nothing for pain. I was a little bothered by the bumping one gets driving/riding in a car for a few days otherwise the entire process was quite uneventful. I can eat anything and have never taken any supplements due to the missing g.b.

Hopefully surgery won't be necessary, but if it is, the laparoscopy process used now is way better than the major surgery used previously.

Proo
  11. housatonicman

housatonicman New Member

has very little to do with your cholesterol. Please reference the book "The Cholesterol Myths" by Ufne Ravnskov, MD.

12. kriket

kriket New Member

I have done a liver cleanse twice and passed at least 50 stones a few months ago. The other night I drank 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and the juice from 1 lemon and passed 1 stone.

The first go round I passed some big stones. Some of them were about the size of marbles. The second go round they were all about the size of sunflower seeds. The one I passed the other night was about the size of a pencil eraser.

The natural flushes help rid the stones, but seems as though I must still have quite a few or they keep coming back. It feels like a knife is sticking in my right shoulderblade.

I am supposed to go have the ultrasound next Monday. So we'll see. If that was not stones that I have been passing I would not know what else in the world they could have been.

Kriket
  13. housatonicman

housatonicman New Member

excellent observation that they keep coming back.

You probably need to thin your bile as stones are made of condensed bile. I go to a natural doc who starts many patients on bile thinning to reduce thick bile and at teh same time enhance fat digestion.