OT.... Heel spurs... anyone experience this

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cycie, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Cycie

Cycie New Member

I had a stone bruise a few months ago on my left heel and the pain just would not go away, so I returned to my GP and he ordered an xray and they found a heel spur.

Has anyone had one and what was the treatments and which ones were successful?????

I hope someone can help,I have enuf trouble walking as it is

Thanx in advance
    Huge gentle hugs
    cycie
  2. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

I have had what I thought was a stone bruise but it was actually Plantar Fasciitis. Stretching helps. They sell heel pads with a hole in the middle that help some. Google it and you will find tons of information.
  3. dinkbay

dinkbay New Member

Hello cycie,
    I just read your post about the heel spurs. I am sorry that you are having such a time with that. they are painful as I have been experiencing the problems myself. I tried several things to alievate the problems. I have tried special made arch supports for special shoes and it did help at first. Then I tried some pain meds, but the problem is still there. For relief I freeze water in a pop bottle and lay that on the floor and run my arch and heel over it and it helps with some swelling and gives some pain relief, but doesn't last to long .

I have used those patches for heat therapy that you can get at the store. those have helped a little. and finally I have just begun some steriod shot theraphy. I have had two rounds of shots now. I am trying all things to avoid the surgery. I will let you know how things go with me as to how it works out. I am going to continue with the shots for awhile longer. I have heard it could take several months for the shots to give any signaficate relief. Hope this was of some help to you. Good luck to you. and gentle hugs. Hope you can find some relief.

dinkbay
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Cycie,
    It's really painful, isn't it? I have a plantars spurr under my right heel. All I did for it was to buy heel inserts with a hole in them, to relieve pressure. My heel was better in about a month, and, meanwhile, the pain was almost eliminated.
    I also have a spurr behind that same heel, where the achilles tendon attaches to the bone. It is also fractured. It bothers me a lot. I have to wear clogs or open heeled sandals all the time. Acupuncture has helped with this pain, a lot.

Good luck. I hope you find a treatmet that works for you.

Hugs,
    Terry
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

I too, have HORRIBLE heel spurs. They are really awful aren't they? About 10(?) years ago, I started seeing an accupuncturist for d) all our other problems. Never helped with any of them, EXCEPT, he did accupuncture on my heels. Regular accupuncture DOES NOT hurt, but let me tell you, in the HEELS? Oh BOY. That is painful. BUTTTT, after a few sessions, the pain LEFT. GONE! For WELL over a year. It gradually returned, but as I was able to be on my feet less and less, due to weakness/fatigue the feet were spared much pounding.

10 years or more later, I am back at the WORST level of pain in my feet. I have a GREAT accupuncturist, locally, but dread the pain of doing the heels. Don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

In the mean time, the best I can do is wear a well cushioned sneaker, like Reeboks, and NOT go barefoot (which I do all the time). But, just want to say, I FEEL YOUR PAIN. It IS unbearable.

Oh, and am curious. Is anyone/everyone here with heel spurs overweight? I am severely. Just wondering.
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Horrible huh! Mine got so bad I used to have to crawl to the bathroom in the morning as it was to painful to walk!
    I spent a year in physical therapy - 3 cortisone shots into my heel (this HURT!!) the first two did nothing.. the 3rd finally gave me some relief- tried every anti-inflamitory on the market.. I finally had to change jobs so that I wasn't on my feet all the time.
    It's been about 5 years since mine started. Most days I'm fine. If I'm on my feet for long hours it still kicks up. I have to use orthotics in my shoes (custom formed to my feet).. Makes for ugly shoes to find shoes that will accomodate them but it's truly not as bad as it was.
    There is a lot of information on the web on heel-spurs/planter facitis
    Goodluck!!
    Dona
  7. llama

llama New Member

Hi cycie and all,

Don't mean to jump in with something a little OT but I have bone spurring on my Rt. hip. It has been terribly painful to the point that I have to use a cane now to relieve the pressure.

I've had heel spurs in the past and they are awful!! My doc told me stand on the edge of a stair (hold on to something) and gently bounce up and down so you'll stretch your tendons. Doing that along with anti-inflammatories gradually took care of the problem. He said if you are prone to them, continue doing the stair routine maybe a couple times a week.....hope I didn't misunderstand your problem. Good Luck and I hope you're better soon...Jill..
  8. Cycie

Cycie New Member

Thanx Dixie, Dona, Dinkbay, Terry for your great info.
    Ellie, Yes i am VERY O/weight, am almost double the weight I was 5 yrs ago when I was diagnosed GGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Jill, wow, how painful must that be in your hip, it's bad enuf in the foot, but you must be going through some sort of hell.......Good luck with that.

I got my results over the phone from my GP, so I have to go back next week to talk to him about it.

I can't have Cortisone, can't afford accupunture, can't wear shoes (Have to wear thongs) because an enclosed shoe puts me in extra pain???????

Thanx again for caring, this board is just great, I don't post a lot but am in the background reading a lot.

Great Big Gentle Hugs to you all from Downunder
    Cycie