OT--HELP -FREAKED OUT Any way to get 'private caller' phone # ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Jun 13, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Something very weird went on this afternoon and I'm wondering--

Briefly, if someone has their phone number blocked so it only shows on caller id on a cell phone as a 'private number' -- is there anyway to backtrack it?

It used to be that on land lines it could be possible to *69 or whatever, and get the number. But Cingular tells me it is not possible now to find out, well at least short of getting a subpoena probably.

If you've read this far, you might be interested in what happened - plus I'm kinda curious if anyone else has something similar happen...

Someone somehow accessed my name, address and cell phone # account that I have for my son's use - so it is billed to my name -- and called it asking for me...

My son gave him the actual cell ph# I use before he had time to think plus the fact he was my son... this supposed 'old friend' didn't know I had a son but knew what road I lived on (?!?!)

--by the time this con artist called me 5 minutes later he knew whose name the cell phone I use is under (my DH's name, he has a different last name than me)...

but not what relation I have to my DH... and didn't use the nickname DH is known by, a rather distinctive one...

then tried to imply my son 'owed him $$' on (I imagine) drugs --he used the word "rents" -- altho he never would say exactly... tried to say he was talking to me cuz I was 'the Mom'...

I kept insisting he tell me his last name and that of the 'scott' who supposedly gave him the original cell ph# cuz it didn't make sense etc - and asking 'what did my son rent' --

guess he figured out finally he wasn't getting anywhere with paranoic little old me so HE hung up on ME LOL.

I can definitely see how he could've pieced some simple info together! But it all started with initially knowing my name, address, and cell ph # under my name but that I never use.

I called Cingular, they supposedly do not sell their account info to anyone; but I really don't understand how they got that account info, it would've had to come from Cingular somehow.

but I'm betting that if there was a subpoena they could find out who called us... sigh.

I am mostly concerned about identity theft tho at this point and set up additional pass codes on our phone accounts, and going to access our credit reports. and put a warning on them...

I am rather freaked out tho, cuz the other question he'd asked my son was if he lived with me at my address (he doesnt). AND all of this happened right after DH left for 4 days...

And altho I still think he didn't know any of us...

But my dear son is worried about his dear old Mom and spending nights while DH is away - plus I have my 4 burglar alarms anyway, otherwise known as the dogs... plus back up defense.

But would really like to know if there's any other possible way to trace a 'private number' and/or if this is happened to anyone else... Bottom gut feeling is that it was a scam.

Thanks,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/13/2006]
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Probably a scam, but ... why did he want thnow if your son lived with you? Keep your cell phone handy at all times.

Tomorrow, it might not be a bad idea to call your local police, describe the situation to them, and ask if they think you have cause for concern. If they are concerned, they may be able to get the phone number out of the phone company.

Even if the phone company is not selling customer info, one of their employees may be.
  3. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Unfortunately, I've had some experience with this type of problem with my cell phone.

I had to file a police report, and was told by someone who would KNOW, that the police DO have access to "cell phone listings" and "private numbers".

If you have the date and time of the call on your bill, they should be able to trace it...and if you suspect that some kind of fraud may have been attempted, they should HAVE to investigate.

Hope this helps,

- julie (is free!)

Who's that man
    livin' my life..? - Toby Keith
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I will file a police report...

Greg, the rep I talked to was concerned enough for me to check with her manager, but said (supposedly) there is no way to access numbers that are blocked or to even block that number since it is 'unknown', I didn't get any farther than that.

I could call and just ask to speak to the manager/supervisor, but I am first going to do a little checking via internet anyway-

there's services online who say they can provide vice-versa information if you have a person's name OR cell ph number, just want to see what is out there and how far I get with our phone numbers or names.

Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/14/2006]
  5. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I NEVER answer any call that is "unknown", "private" or if I don't recognize the number. They can leave a message and I'll call them back.

God Bless.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Good idea to file a police report.

Now, do you think you and your son should get new cell phone numbers?
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

but my son had already alerted me and since that first phone call was 'relatively' innocent, I was curious I admit...

my son does answer blocked calls only because he has one friend who can only call that way, hangs up normally if it is anything else.

I'm divided on changing the ph #s... 'whoever' already has the info... so not sure it would make a difference in the long run.

Thanks,
    Victoria