OT ~ Help! Thinking about many changes in my life. Hmmmm. . .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bailey-smom, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

Any suggestions are appreciated – I came here to let this all out because you all know exactly what I am talking about so I thought you may have some input. I’m sorry if it gets long.

I have come to the conclusion, like many others, that my work is my main stressor. It is not the "kind" of work it is the day in and day out mental stress that causes me to flare sooooo bad. I have had an assistant for the past 6 ½ years and my company has placed such strict rules in place that my assistant would need to be licensed as well as myself. In a town of 900 people it is difficult to find someone that wants to fill those shoes that are able to fill those shoes – I hope that makes sense. Needless to say, I have been handling my business on my own for the past 8 months.

I took over this insurance agency 2 months after being in a terrible auto accident so I knew I would be in pain but I also thought I would bounce back. Over the years the pain has gotten better and then come back – you know the drill. Then this past summer the pain became unbearable and I was given my diagnosis of FM.

I had a long discussion with my district manager yesterday and he asked how I was. He wanted to know about ME not the business. He said that 50 years from now the business will be here but how was I? I started to cry. He hit the nail on the head when he said that it is not fun to come into the office with a stomach ache feeling like you have to vomit every day:) I have been through 4 managers in the past 7 (+) years and this is the only one who cared about my health.

He told me that my contract with the company is not on the line but he can tell what this is doing to me. He said that he wanted to give me the heads up that we will be taking a rate decrease and that my income will also be going down. We talked about some different options that I have – It is up to me

Keep doing what I am doing - I am in complete pain every day
    Let another agent take over my agency & work for them – I don’t know how that would reduce my stress though????
    Find a different job

My husband has also not been too happy doing what he is doing. He would love nothing better than to be able to stay at home and do nothing but work with our wonderful dogs – we hunt and breed them. I have been thinking that we could make it into a bigger business like maybe training as well.

My hubby makes wonderful furniture (he builds houses for a living) and I love to quilt – why couldn’t we do that as well as the dogs? I have also helped him with repairing some of my clients homes from time to time.

Does this sound bizarre? Is it too big of a risk? What if I am willing to jump but my hubby is not?

HELP!!!!! Any input will be helpful – I trust you guys immensely!

Kelly
  2. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi Kelly,
    I think you should talk to your hubby and see what his thoughts are about working with the dogs, and possibly stemming work from that field (like training). Obviously that is your passion.
    I think to continue doing what you are doing, or having someone else take your spot and you work for them will have no positive effect on your health.
    Some things to consider: Are you in a financial position to start your own business? Insurance coverage?
    Good luck with your decision!
    JPach
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

We actually already breed dogs for a business but only train our own. I'm thinking we would just need to expand.

I will defiantly have to run the numbers closer - when I checked premiums a couple years ago the policy was no more expensive than our current farm policy so we would get lucky:)

I would have to run all expenses & see what all would have to be done to reach them but I am the positive thinker when it comes to me & the hubby:)

Kelly
  4. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

Forgive me for being too personal but how old are you and your husband? If you are still young enough to make that switch, meaning that if it doesn't work out you are still marketable and are financially able, I would strongly

consider it. Obviously talk to your husband first. I don't see where working for someone else would solve your problem at all. I don't understand why this assistant is able to get away with not doing her job? If you worked for someone

else would your workload decline? GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE TO DO!!

PIRT
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

Don't worry about it - I am 33 & my hubby is 35.

I thought a bit about it today & if the other agent were to step in I would definatly come in and atleast market for him. I actually worked for him before and I know that if I were to step down to assistant the only thing I would not have to worry about would be to pay the bills. That is why I would only want to help him out a bit.

Thanks for the replies! Any other suggestions or what do you think of the age thing?

Kelly