OT~ Horses and lower taxes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Dec 19, 2005.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Well I've almost done it! I really want to buy a horse. We have 4 acres in a subdivision in Texas, and I work for a Vet (so vaccs and floating teeth, any emergencies would all be at a discount). I cannot think of a reason not to get one.
    I thought I read somewhere about a horse on your property qualifies you for lower land taxes or something like that. (Thats my selling point to my husband!)
    The horse I want is a paint, 12 years old, 17.1 hands tall, in good shape (the trainer is going to work with him for 90 days prior to selling him), he hasnt had a saddle on for 2 years.
    I will have to have some hotwire fencing put up in the back yard, and have a shed built, but thats it.
    Any thoughts on horse purchase, taxes, reason not to buy, reason to buy?
    JPach
  2. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Jpach, if Texas if like Ohio, re the agricultural tax exemption, I'm sure it is, You have to really be farming and/or raising stock to make a profit. Here, it's like you have to make a profit of like 2,500 for three years to claim the agricultural exemption. Then your property taxes are reduced a certain percentage to qualify you.

I doubt that owning one horse would qualify you, unless you have a foal each year that you can sell for over $2,500.

On the other hand, if you really want a horse, I say go for it.

One thing you might want to consider, most horses do not do well being by themselves. They are really herd animals and need company. Sometimes a goat will be company enough for them, but you might want to pick up a pony or something along that line as a companion animal, otherwise I'd say your horse may end up going through the electric fence.

Sometimes, there is an occasional horse that can do well by itself, but that is rare.

Have you ever taken care of horses before? They are a lot of work, but if it's something you want to do and it's a dream of yours, I'd say, go ahead and live your dream, tax exemption or no.

Sbilek