OT:How long can a baby opposum go without milk

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by damz68, Jun 30, 2006.

1. damz68

damz68 New Member

An opposum was killed in front of my house last night. Anyway a little while ago my daughter ran into my room saying there was an opposum on the road. I told her a car it it last night and she said no, not that one. So I go outside and see this baby trying to get off the street and find 7 others still attached to mom.

The mother obviously can not produce milk dead, so they have been a while without. I called the only person in area that cares for them and left a message. Will they be alright for a while? If not how do I help?

I cant believe the babies made it as busy as this road is! This crap always happens to me. I can hardly help myself now I got 8 more kids. A couple years back I ruined a whole day of a vacation when I witnessed a Red Shouldered Hawk get hit by a logging truck. It is a good feeling afterwards but sure stinks during!
  2. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

They should be OK for awhile but not a real long time. You can buy milk replacer and a little bottle if you really think they need milk now. The replacer for kittens should work. Call a Vets office maybe and ask them.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

nice of you. Good luck.
  4. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

My hubby 'saved' some baby possums in the same predicament. We called an animal shelterin our area and they gave us a number to call. I can't remember the name of the place (maybe the humane society?) Anyway they came and picked them up. They said that they would care for them and teach them to take care of themselves and then release them.

Dawn
  5. damz68

damz68 New Member

with the woman that cares for opposums. So they can get fixed up and set free. Iam so glad I dont have to deal with that. She told me they get fed every three hours and reqire a tube being plced in the stomach. Thank the lord for people like that.