OT How many artist (all medias) are here?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi all, I have noticed we do have some artists here when I have read bios. Although my biggest work of art lately is working on my fixer upper house in the country.

I am trying to finish my studio but need someone with a good back to help hang the drywall. All in time.

I am involved in a fundraiser that is being organized now. I was an extra in a movie that filmed here in my area called "We are Marshall" Matthew McConaughey and Matthew Fox (Lost) are the stars- I did see them but never was aloud to speak to them.

The entire story is on my website Carla's Stained Glass Creations, just google or We are Marshall. I am not advertising my work here. I want to bring attention to the story. Go to the bottom of the page and click We are Marshall.

The story about Marshall and the purpose of the fundraiser are both moving stories and make you feel very lucky to be alive. We always think we have problems until you read someone elses story.

If you are a working artist or just someone who just likes to do it for fun or relaxation that is great. I can't wait to get back to it. I just last week moved all my glass from my extra bedroom to my new cabinets in the studio and seeing all the beautiful colors has got my brain craving artistic endeavors again.

If you visit my site and are interested in the fundraiser you can email me from my site. The fundraiser will sponsor teenagers who suffer depression and educate them thru art. I feel alot of depressed teens are actually sick with FM, CFS.

To bring some credence to this, Randy Travis is filming the Public Service Announcement and donating a signed guitar. All art work donated will be auctioned off in a special Ebay auction along side of movie props from studios and personal belongings of the stars.

This is the real deal and the Gala will be in Nov in either Atlanta or Gatlinburg. Some other stars involved are Billy Bob Thorton, Justin Timberlake, and Tim McGraw. The name of the foundation is The Damon and Stella Foundation. The website is not up yet, they are doing that now. Please read the story, even if you are not an artist.

I am very proud that I was asked to do this. Everything happens for a reason and the fact that I was in the right place at the right time is no coincident.

I hope to hear from you-Carla
  2. spmary

spmary New Member

I used to think I was an artist but no one else did! How ever I keep pluging along. These DDs have slowed me down some, but i did sell a couple of pictures so my husband built me a small studio in the side yard and it is mostly a mess with alot of unfinished projects right now.

When I have alittle more energy, I go out there and sit until the spirit moves me to do something...hopefully in a day or two. lol spmary
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hi, I got thrown into art in a weird way.

I am a psychologist and educator, but several years ago my DH got a severe head injury. I needed to be at home 24/7 after he came out of coma and had to find something I could do and pay the bills without leaving him alone at all.

I discovered polymer clay and before I knew it I was designing high end collectable dolls for HSN and being "sought after". Totally self taught.

I have always loved painting and crafts. Well, this ended up as a twelve year business which the FM forced me to quit, but I am thinking of getting back into it a little.

I love stained glass and working in that media(totally amateur)but my DH left all my equipment in the garage when we moved house so I have to save for some new stuff.

I will visit your site and check your stuff out. I think art is wonderful for mentally ill people. If you visit the web page of "The Gathering Place" Port Townsend, you can see a lot of art some mentally disabled people do to raise money and awareness in that area.

Love Anne Cromwell
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I sure used to qualify - drawing, painting, design - but I've been away from it for awhile. Hearing about your enjoyment gives me a push.

Thanks!

Marta
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

What a story .I hope it has great sucess.
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

SPmary- keep on pluggin along, you never know when you will create that masterpiece. Believe me, I have a lot more flopps than success's in the art media. It is great to have a space just to create in.

Marta- don't let the dds win, get inspired and get the supplies out again and see what happens.

Ann- I thought about polymer clay, but decided to stick with glass. That is impressive about your dolls, I am sorry you had to stop making your treasures. I hope you get involved again. If my mind is working, didn't just have a biopsy on your thyroid, I'm glad you got the news you wanted. I had my thyroid removed (3/4) when I was 16 then radioactive Iodine got the rest of when I was 26, I had Graves disease. I hope you continue on without anymore problems.

ggiggi- thank you so much for your kind words. I am a strong woman because I had to be. When I had cancer 10 years ago, I was alone. I had been engaged for 4 years to the love of my life but he had issues he chose not to deal with and I was not dragging myself down, so I walked away. Then 6 months later, I got cancer. It was the hardest year of my life, but I am grateful because I would not have been able to get thru the last few years without that strengh. God gives us gifts but they aren't always seen as a gift at the time.

Thank god for adderall too,lol. I take 30 mg once a day. I have 2 grandchildren with ADD and I mentioned this to my Dr and asked if that could be my problem. So he gave me the adderall and I haven't looked back. That was about a year ago.

Decorating is one of my favorite pastimes. I am a DIY diva, as my freinds say. I just made my dining room a kitchen. I bought unfinished cabinets at Lowes and stained them a soft denim blue glaze and painted the walls in a soft terra cotta. I bought my 1500 sf bank repo 3 years ago and am now 90 percent done. Your house sounds lovely. Doesn't feel good to walk in and say "I did this" then relax and enjoy it. You never know what you are capable of if you never try it. I bet the glass knobs are gorgous. I have never work with hot glass but have wanted a kiln but that will wait. I have plenty of other toys to play with.

I can't wait for the fundraiser to get going. I spoke with the organizer last week and am waiting for the press release, PSA and website to get up then I will make my rounds to local art places. I am known in the the small art circle this town has and the newspaper is always looking for good local stories. we are a small town so not alot going on,lol. I am so proud to be a part of this, it still amazes me that these people want me involved. If you visit my site, look on Carla's Pictures and see the Red Maple tree, that is the piece I am donating.

Enjoy your watercolor class this fall. I do try my hand at painting, sometimes stained glass is very hard on my hands, I have RA, I have tried watercolor, oil and acrylics.

Yes, it sounds like we have very much in common. I wish I could say taking care of mother was a wonderful experience but sadly it was not. She and I have never gotten along. She was always jealous of everything I accomplished, I just had bigger dreams than she did and I wasn't willing to settle, she did. She is in a nursing home and I visit her once a week or so with the dogs, she loves them, so I guess she isn't all bad,lol.

I'm sure we will "talk" more later. BTW did you make the pillow in your bio, it is beautiful and you have much more talent than you give yourself credit for- Thanks for writting- Carla

7. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

CFS/FM seem to have stolen it away. I loved to paint ceramics. I'm trying to learn how to bead. I used to write poetry....don't know what happened to that!

Otherwise, I'm still trying to find the talent that God gave me. Hubby says I can sing, but I've never been very confident in that. Maybe I'll join the choir. LOL

I also seem to have a talent in reaching out to teen girls, especially ones that are headed for trouble...since I was in trouble enough (as a 70's teen myself) so I know what they are headed for.

I hope God tells me soon! LOL

God Bless.

PS...Those of you who have pictoral talent, post it on your profile. I, for one, would love to see it!
  8. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have been told painting for 20 years now and I love it,

But it is been much harder since I shattered my left

wrist. But I still do it. Just not as much.

I have sold several peieces like welcome bears that have

clothes that are attached with velcro and made from 1/4
    plywood. I make dolls that are bears and their faces ,

arms and feet are painted and their clothes are made from cloth. They have a dress , pantloons, and a apron.

I have sold a snow man that was in 9 different peices and
    I didn't think it was that great but you never know as

the lady that bought it paid me $30.00 for it. So you
    never know. I love to paint and it does relieve stress for

me. I need to do it more and maybe I would feel better.

Rosemarie
  9. kalina

kalina New Member

I knew I wanted to be a commercial artist from the time I was 5 years old, and went on to win awards as a successful graphic designer, illustrator and artist.

But this illness has taken all that away from me. It's that part of me that is gone that I grieve for the most.

Now I stick to admiring others' work.

Kalina

10. Daisys

Daisys Member

Talent runs in my family. I started out in oil painting. Then one time when I seriously relapsed, part of my recovery was to switch to watercolors which I love.

Lately, with the relapse I'm dealing with now, I realize that I feel blocked. Several friends and medical people that I see recommended the book The Artist's Way, by Julie something...It's set up for 12 weeks with a different aspect covered each week. I read it straight through and learned a lot about me.
    My Dr. says artistic expression can help the healing process and also can be squashed by illness. So, I am working at getting back to painting, but it just can't be forced.

I'm trying to get started in oil bar (no clean up, yay!) and also bought some beads and may try my hand at making necklaces. I have some semiprecious stones I'd like to work with. I did candle making for awhile, 100% bees wax candles for health reasons and that's fun, but I'm not inclined to develope that any more.

I still love watercolors but it's the hardest for me to do while I still feel blocked.
  11. ckball

ckball New Member

Graphic design, knitting, tole painting. It does make you forget, sometimes, about these dds that steal our desires from us by getting lost in a project. I will pay for the next day or two but it is worth it.

Ggiggi- I know real estate is outragous in CA, I watch several shows on flipping houses and most are in CA, I can't believe a 3 bedroom is worth a million. I spent $15,000 for my 3 bedroom 1500 sf house. It was REALLY rough and dirty is putting it politley. It did not have one peice of trim around the doors and baseboards. The bathroom had to be gutted.

I have done most of the work myself. My best freind's DH was unemployed for awhile so he helped with the big things like plumbing, I HATE going under houses. I hired a contractor to install the kitchen, it had a strange brick wall jutting out in the room and a couple of beams that were just wierd, so I had all that removed. I stained the cabinets and laid the peel and stick "hardwood" floors. I love them, so easy to clean.

I found my house in the newspaper, then went to [web site address removed as per rules] to see more of it. My friends thought I was crazy but now they see my vision and are very happy for me.
    Driving around is also a fun way to look for houses. Sometime call a agent and say your are looking for a fixxer upper. Sometimes the bank will have them, there is not one good way to find them. Oh look under auctions in the newspaper, then you have to go to the courthouse where the auctions are and bid, the terms of sale are listed in the ad.

It sounds like you are on the road to making your new life. It is one step at a time. I have forgivien my mother but when she was at home I just couldn't even stand to be in the same room with her. She didn't change much until a few months ago. She had to go to the ER for a xray, she fell at the nursing home. She was being a total [edited], hollering at everyone, then screaming out "help, help me" like she was dying. I told her if she didn't stop I was going to leave her there. Well, she continued on and I got up and left her there. Told the ER staff to call me if they needed info, they were so nice and felt so sorry for me and said go home honey, we'll handle her from here.lol.

After that she changed her attitude. I told her she robbed me of my childhood and I'd be [edited] if she will take what life I have left. I think she finally "got it". She doesn't ask too much from me anymore.

I love my critters, Smitten is a female, she was a little stray that showed up when I was still at mom's house. I couldn't come up with a name for her, then one day while playing with her, I said "you are so cute, I am just smitten with you" and that was it. She does not like the dogs and they think she is a play toy. So she stays out of sight, she has a few hiding places, then when the dogs are out, we have our time. I had another cat named Bubbus, he was all white, he was 15 when he died this spring. I got up one day and he was laying in the kitchen floor. He had feline aids for 13 years so the fact he lived that long was amazing. We went thru everything together, I still miss him so.

Email me about your butterfly, I'm sure we can come up with something.

Daisy- what are oil bars? Is it like a hard stick of color that you draw with, then smudge, like oil pastels?

All of you keep at your talent, don't wait for God to show you, go find it for yourself, the journey of experimenting is half the fun. Now get up and just do it, you'll thank me later- Carla
  12. Daisys

Daisys Member

CKBall, Oil bars are actually the pigments with very little vehicle, just enough to hold together, and look like very fat crayons. So, I still wear gloves when I use them (Some pigments like cobalt, and cadmiums are heavy metals) but I don't have a mess when I'm done using them.

I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. When I feel up to it, I'll get with a friend who used them to earn a living. She's too busy to come here, and I don't have the energy yet to go there, but it'll happen soon!

Because they're like big crayons, you just don't get the detail (like you can using brushes), so the style is impressionistic and lots of pure color. I feel like once I get comfortable with using them, I'll really enjoy that.
  13. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I haven't gone to your website yet, but I will.

Sounds very interesting and am so glad you have had the opportunity to get involved in this.

Without volunteering anything just yet, as it would depend on several factors, I could possibly donate a picture of mine to your project.

I am a Pyrographer, (woodburning) and do alot of work when I can. It is something I crave more and more all the time, yet seem to have little time to work on it. I have some commissioned pieces I am doing now, but will see what the requirements are for your project.

My artwork takes me away. I can become so involved in a piece that I forget everything else. Though I have learned to work in my recliner, many times it is very difficult to even move when I want to get up. I get so intent and wrapped up in what I am doing that my hands and body don't come out of that pose. UGHHHH

WEll, I'll check you out as soon as I can. In the meantime, keep on with your heart-work! I know if you are an artist, you put your heart into it and love each piece you do.

Blessings,
    Maia
  14. sascha

sascha Member

i did photography for a number of years, but then had to return to school to finish my degree so that i could make more money. i exhibited photographic prints, and sold a number of them, and always had darkrooms wherever i lived. also did lots of wedding photography and some other commercial work. now i'm doing watercolor painting and love making progress in this medium. i hope to be ready to show soon. both my parents were artists. i love my art class where i live. i mostly paint from photographs i take. sascha
  15. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

Me - painting and photography. I don't feel like writing a lot right now though.
  16. ckball

ckball New Member

Maia- I have tried a little woodburning but it was a cheap iron and did not have good results. I have seen some really beatiful burnings. The only requirement for the art donation is the value should be $100 minumum. Once I gather the local donations they will arrange for it
    to be pick up in my town and delivered to Atlanta. If you live in Alanta then you could take it yourself.

The art will be professionally photographed for the Ebay auction in Atlanta.
    I hope you are able to contribute in some way.

Daisys- I know what the oil stick is now. Can't you layer it thick then remove part of with a pen, toothpick, ect. Just a different appraoch, like reverse painting. Although I like Monet and impressionism.

Sascha- that is great about your own dark room. My daughter plays with camera, she did some hand tinted work with B&W pic, they were very nice.
    good luck with the watercolor class. They had some here last year but it was not a good time for me. So I joined North Ligkt Book Club and played around alot.
    I did get a 3rd place in my first show (watercolor), I couldn't believe it. I entered a colored pencil design in another showand got a honorable mention.

I use to, still do, belong to a Club called the Kentucky Creative Arts Club. They organize several
    events a year. Art in the Park, Founders DAy Dinner and show. We meet each month and bring a painting to judged. We have snack time and everyone votes for thier favorite in each category.
    I really do need to get back to them,

Thanks for sharing yourselves here. To those that feel they have lost it, maybe it is just misplaced and you need to find it. I do truly understand how hard it is to feel like you lost somthing you once enjoyed so much. I was a award winning poolplayer. I had to give it up when I moved back here for my mom. SO I turned my focus on other ways to express my self.

It is always inside of your heart, somtimes listen to thise little whispers that say "you can do that" and try.

All one day at a time, but live as this day is your last.
    Carla
  17. kellyann

kellyann New Member

There is nothing like the feel of fabric in your hands! And so many designs and colors! I am a fabricaholic! I have stacks and stacks of fabrics!I love to sew and sew! I once made five red, white and blue quilts of different designs and donated them to the families of the 911 victims. I felt they could use the quilts to wrap up in and know somebody cared enough to make them a quilt! On each quilt I had hand sewn a label that read "Jesus loves you and so do I!"
    I sew quilts for my grandbabies, my kids, for everybody. Quilts are just a wonderful part of my life. I will check out your website, I may be interested in donating a quilt.

I also have just started in weaving. I bought a Navajo Weaving Loom. And I got a lot of gorgeous wool yarns. I am having a little trouble holding my arms up to weave though. My arms are so sore. Maybe later.

I do some drawing in colored pencil, and sculpture in clay. I like moist red clay. I use self harding for now as I don't have a kiln. I did see one that is small enough to fit on a countertop, I may get myself one so I can use regular potters clay.

Take Care!
    Kellyann
  18. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

Dear Carla
    I've been enjoying the responses to this excellent topic! Although my work painting, drawing and in photography has been very sketchy since becoming ill (pardon the lame pun, lol)..I still do a little drawing and some watercolors whenever I can get stuff cleared off my drawing table to do so. The replies of all the others posting here who are artists has inspired and stimulated me to get busy doing more. I've been in constant pain for most of my life although up until the last four or five years, I haven't been overwhelmed with it to the extent I am now. So, although I've been an artist since age eight, have had two one-artist shows which both sold out--I'm simply not able to be as active as I once was. Still, I am busily painting in my imagination.
    Carla, I like your stained glass work very much--I think you are extremely talented!
    By the way, I noticed your birthday (oct. 7) is the same as mine, separated by decades, I'll bet as I am likely to be much much older since I was born in 1933.
    Best of luck to you!
    It was wonderful reading everyone's replies. Thanks for starting the thread!
    With love, Dorothy
  19. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Your stained glass is beautiful. I am a artist "wanna be". I've had the desire for many years to learn to draw and paint. Hopefully, I can take lessons in drawing and painting.

A few years ago I purchased some unusual beautiful stained glass work done by a artist named Luz Mack-Durini. She is a member of SAMA (Society of American Mosiac Artists).

Anyway, she makes mirrors framed by beautiful stained glass. Someday I will post a picture of her work here, very unique. You might be able to see her work on the web.

I love all artistic things and hope one day to have the time, energy and health to pursue my passion.
  20. Daisys

Daisys Member

I was just thinking of all the years I have felt blocked (I think a large part is the brain fog), and one outlet I've enjoyed a lot is gardening. Sort of like you who photograph something to paint it, I decided to plant flowers so I could paint them. I got caught up in landscaping my yard so that each window has a beautiful view and each area was co-ordinated to be a picture in itself. We moved here 16 years ago and there was nothing here so I started with a clean slate.
    I practice no-dig gardening. I bought small plants, no big energy expenditure to get into the ground and then put newspaper around them and DH put dirt or bark over that when I ran out of energy. Now, it's getting pretty established, and takes less upkeep. Some years have been more weedy than others, depending on my health.
    This has satisfied my yearning to create beautiful things in a less demanding way, artistically speaking. The plants do the work of being beautiful, and I get a little credit for choosing them!:)
    Even with using as little energy possible, I do remember lying in bed for hours waiting for enough energy to get the tiny plant and stick it in the ground. Then sometimes I had to lie there on the ground to gather up enough energy to get back into the house. Those were bad days, other times I could really get physical work done.
    Now, I am feeling better, and I look out and see trees and mature shrubs and it just thrills me. Even at my worst, I could do something!