OT How Many Have Had Breast Biopies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I am asking because my sister has to go in for a breast biopsy, and she is just beside herself, convinced she has cancer.

I told her I read that 80% of biopsies are negative, and even if she DID have breast cancer, it was caught early and she will do well.

She is normally a very positive person, but this has her reeling!
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

I've never had to go through a biopsy, but I always have to go for multiple mammamgrams and ultrasounds. I did have one HUGE (tangerine sized) cyst that was aspirated. I was very anxious about that one, but it turned out to be just a fluid-filled cyst.

My sister had breast cancer (a very aggressive type). They caught it early. They didn't need to take the whole breast, but she went ahead and had them do that. She also went through chemo due to one positive lymph node.

That was December 2003. Once she got through the chemo, she did well. No problems since.

You're right...nearly all breast masses are benign. Could be all the caffeine we consume or whatever. In my case, I have cysts in my breasts, on my ovaries, on my left wrist, and on both thyroids!!! I'm just a cystic person. Just have to keep an eye on them.

Tell you sis that we'll keep her in our prayers and to relax...everything will probably be fine!

TerryS
  3. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I have had the needle biopsy and had the kind where they cut me open and removed the lump, and thank God it was benign (spelling)
  4. msainz1551

msainz1551 New Member

Hi! I went through a biopsy in 1999, both breasts and what the doctor found were four and five cyst filled with liquid. My body does not metabolize caffeine and all of them were filled with caffeine. The doctor taught that I was a consumer of coffee and tea; however, I never drank coffee but I used to dring sweet tea at restaurants and Pepsi. The doctor advice me to stop drinking both for about a year to clean my body which I did. I must have a mammogram every year as well as a pap smear eventhough I had my histerectomy back in 1992. Tell her that everything is going to be alright. We'll be praying for her.

Mariela
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi- I have had 5 biopsys since 1989. Every one was benign. I do understand your sisters concern. I had rectal cancer 10 years ago and everytime something new pops up or biopsy is mentioned, I get those feeling again.

I have fibrosystic disease.

I hope she finds out everything is fine. Please let us now-Carla
  6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I have more biopsies and ultrasounds than I can or want to remember. Eventually one area was cancerous. It is hereditary in my family. Feel free to read my bio.

The first time that it was cancerous was in 96 and then a new cancer in the same breast in 97. To my knowledge, I am now cancer free.

I hope your sister will be fine. The statistics are in her favor.
  7. gongee

gongee New Member

I have had numerous needle biopies due to having fibrocystic breasts. Each time it would come back benign.

Also, have had a mass removed on left side, also benign.

This past February I went in for my regular mammogram and this time they found something different, a clacification in which that did belive it was cancer. I was so upset, so I know what your sister must be going through.

I went in for a stereotactic biopsy. They were able to remove the area and then inseerted a metal clip to remain in case of further surgery if cancerous or future mammograms to be able to check thoroughly that particular site. Thank God the results came back benign. I just went last week for another mammogram just on that side. Have not heard any news as of yet. But as they say, "No news is good news"

Wishing your sister well.

Sheila
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Just keep being positive with her and love her.

I have and about a couple months later my nipples started bleeding and have been for almost a year.They can not find out why.Ive beento 3 doctors.
  9. mary124

mary124 New Member

I have had 2 of them, where they had to go in and cut them out, thankfully both times everything was fine. Tell your sister that she will do well.
  10. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I had a biopsy on a lump in my breast a few years ago. It is very scary. I went home thinking I had cancer. I could tell by the way they were treating me that they thought it was cancerous. Thank God it wasn't.
    k
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I feel a little better now
  12. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I had a lump that needed to be biopsied and I was really afraid. It turned out to be just a non-cancereous lump. Everything think turned out fine and I`ll bet yours probably will also.

Best wishes,
    Sandy
  13. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I had the exact same thing happen some months back....I have the clip too. I am supposed to go back for a 6 month mamo in another month or so.
  14. KelB

KelB New Member

I had a needle biopsy and it turned out to be benign.

Even when the lump grew over the next two years, it still wasn't malignant (I had it removed just to be safe at that point).

All best wishes that your sister is in the majority and finds that her lump is nothing more than a nuisance.
  15. fivesue

fivesue New Member

And it was negative...no problem since. The surgeon who did it said that more than 90% are negative so it is more likely than not that it's not cancerous.

It's the others that this really helps...those who are just like us that actually have cancer and it is cured quickly. I have known two people who were postive, had surgery, chemo and are cancer free all these years later.

A good thing. Hopefully your sister will be among the vast majority.

Prayers for her,
    Sue
  16. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

I also had a mass biopsied and removed in 1995. Cancer runs on both sides of my mom and dad's families very strongly so needless to say, I was terrified. But it turned out to be just a fibrocystic lump. The doctor told me before surgery that most biopsies are benign. Please tell your sister to keep her positive attitude!!!!
  17. gongee

gongee New Member

Hope your 6 month mammogram goes well too. I am still waiting to here from mine. Left a message at the office this morning, but haven't heard as of yet.

For me, I never minded going for a mammogram, but since this last issue, I was dreading it a month ahead. I think I was somwhat paranoid this time, due to the fact they were so sure that it was cancerous before.

Just goes to show you that the medical profession doesn't know everything. My son is a doctor and even when he looked at the first ultra sound pictures,he started preparing me for the worse. He and my daughter in law (who is a nurse practitioner) actually took off time to go with me to talk to the surgeon.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!! Sheila