OT: I have some more questions about weight lifting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by futurehope, Apr 23, 2006.

1. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Hi all!!!

I wrote a few weeks ago about how I needed to "Build Muscle without Losing Fat".

So many people replied and it was great!!

I went out and purchased a magazine. There was a perfect weight lifting program for me. It is a total body workout, all with those dumbells that I have. Mine are 8 lbs. each right now. So whomever gave the magazine idea, thank you.

There were other several helpful ideas too, like eating lots of protein, making sure I use heaver weights and go slow not fast (so I won't burn fat), balanced diet.

Such great responses.

I just appreciate everyone here!!!

I have one more question for all of you.

Is it important that I do some kind of warmup exercise? I am afraid to do this because aren't warmups usually aerobic in some way to get circulation moving?

My absolute goal is NOT to lose weight!! None at all!!! I am already looking aneroxic.

Also what about the cooldown?

Thanks again for your great advice!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  2. Callum

Callum New Member

It is very important that you don't just jump into the weight lifting without warming up in some way. The best way to achieve this is 10 minutes of cardio, which sounds like you can't tolerate (neither can I). I do about ten minutes of gentle stretching and breathing - the goal is the same as with cardio, getting the muscles warmed up by getting blood/oxygen flowing. Where most newbies to weight-lifting go wrong is they skimp on the cool-down, which is actually a bit more important than the warm-up, especially if you are not lifting heavy weights. Again, 10 minutes of gentle stretching & breathing should do the trick.

Best of luck to you! I hope that you benefit as much from weight training as I have.
  3. Stampeding_Sheep

Stampeding_Sheep New Member

I'm just really happy to hear that you're interested in weight training, because I've found it of the most importance for helping the fibro symptoms (increased blood flow to muscles, helps the "dehydrated" feeling, helps joint pain, and contributes to a positive self image). A lot of protein is important, but make sure your total caloric intake is also high, or else you'll start to burn protein for fuel (which isn't very efficient for your body). One way you can help retain fat while you're working out is drink gatorade while weight training. Gatorade is mostly sugar (glucose), and the more simple carbs that are readily available, the more your body will want to burn those for energy instead of fat. Gatorade will also cause your insulin levels to increase while training, which makes your body want to store fat, rather than burn it. There is a lot more to the whole process, but that's the main idea. Also, make sure you consume a carbohydrate-protein meal/shake almost immediately after your workout (or when your gut can finally bear it) so you enhance recovery. Hope this helps!

-Dave