OT: If You Get This EMail, Delete It ASAP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Sep 16, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

If You Get This E-Mail, Delete It ASAP

The latest ploy to steal your credit card number and personal information is so believable that many are falling for it.

Con artists are using the telephone in an attempt to trick you to act on an e-mail that looks like it was sent from PayPal, eBay's online payment service. The e-mail uses the same slick come-on as many nefarious attempts to steal your personal information, warning you there was a problem with your PayPal account. But there is no link to click. Instead, users are asked to call a phone number where an automated answering machine asks for account information, mimicking the legitimate ways that customers interact with financial institutions, reports The Associated Press.

Security experts call this new scam "vishing"--short for "voice phishing." Sometimes vishing begins with a phone call, not an e-mail. And these calls are quite believable since the caller already knows your credit card number. All you are asked to provide is the three-digit security code found on the back of the card. "It is becoming more difficult to distinguish phishing attempts from actual attempts to contact customers," Ron O'Brien, a security analyst with Sophos PLC, told AP.

Here is the valuable lesson: "If you get a telephone call where someone is asking you to provide or confirm any of your personal information, immediately hang up and call your financial institution with the number on the back of the card," Paul Henry, a vice president with Secure Computing Corp. told AP. "If it was a real issue, they can address the issue."

Words of advice:

--Never give anyone your credit card number or the three-digit security code on the back of the card unless you initiated the call. And if you're calling in response to an e-mail, that doesn't count as initiating the call!

--Never click on links in e-mails unless you know the sender and are sure the link is legitimate.

--Never give your personal information to a stranger online or over the telephone.
  2. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Coincidentally, I received a call in the middle of the

nite from a very angry "gentleman" demanding that I take

back MY identity HE had stolen from me!! Seems that he

was unable to ascertain anything but laughter when he

attempted to cash in on it!!!

POETIC JUSTICE??
    MRDAD
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Did you really have your identy stolen, or was this just a crank call?

Janet
  4. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

THAT, was a good one. Very funny.

MM
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

No Janet! My story was a fictional episode meant to

amuse myself. Rockgor and I have been talking about

starting a comedy team. See my Post to Prickles where

we started to disgust it!

Of course we really couldn't charge any money 'til we

got popular enuff to have our own T.V. show!

Goodnite Janet, goodnite Ellen, goodnite Billy Bob, good
    nite johnboy, good nite grandpa, goodnite grand-
    pa, goodnite grandpa, grandpa grandpa, grandpa! Oh!!!

MRDAD
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Supposedly from my credit card co. I hung up and gave the phone number to the FBI. I hope they were able to track these people.

Love, Mikie
  7. TKE

TKE New Member

On Valentiens Day I got an automated call saying I had suspious activity on my CC account. I was asked to give persinal info. When I was asked for SS # I hung up & called my CC company. Sure enough someone had tried to use my account to the tune of $3300.00! I closed my account, file a fraud report, opened a new account & then put a "fraud alert" on all my accounts. Thankfully the vendors had not sent any of the items out, so my account never got charged for them. We caught it in time.

If you ever get a call like this hang up & call the # on the back of your card or from your statement & ask if they placed a call to you. It's in their computer records if they did.

Also CC companies do not send out e-mails asking for personal info. They already have it. If you have a CC registered on any websites, like say Pay Pal or E-Bay check your account activity. Also change you passwords. Never use family names, pets names, etc. I use a combination of letters & numbers & keep them in a little book at my computer. My foggy brain can't remember this stuff so I write it down.

One last thing....run a spyware program (I use Ad-Aware)at least 1-2 times a week. These spy programs can hack into sites you used your card on & get your info. Keeping the spyware off your computer lowers the chance of anyone getting your info.

Toy
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

jlh:

Thank you for the warning.

nyrofan
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Toy,

Re your statement: "One last thing....run a spyware program (I use Ad-Aware)at least 1-2 times a week. These spy programs can hack into sites you used your card on & get your info. Keeping the spyware off your computer lowers the chance of anyone getting your info."

THANKS for this info. My son-in-law set up my computer. I just emailed him to see if I have a spyware program running on it.

I order an awful lot of stuff online. So far, so good -- no problems. But you can never be too careful.

Hugs,
    Janet