OT-----I'M GETTING MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twister425, Feb 8, 2006.

1. twister425

twister425 New Member

Hi everyone,
    Could I get some info please!!!!????
    We ahve decided to have a court house wedding. This is my second and his first. what I'm trying to figure out if we do the little things. I'm not planning to wear a wedding gown but do I carry a bouquet? Do I have a maid of honor?
    Does Darren have a best man? Do we invite close friends and family. Not sure on what to do. Thanks for any info.

Sherri
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I also married twice. (His first my sec) I definitely went simpler but I just did what I wanted. There's no reason to down-play it just because you've done it before. It should be every bit as special and it should fit your dreams.

I know with us my husband wanted a lot of the traditional stuff because it was his first. So we combined our two visions and it was perfect.

Congratulations!! Get creative and do what ever you want. Invite who you want, wear something special, flowers are always beautiful.

Sofi
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have seen or have been involved with some of the courthouse type weddings.

One I was asked by the bride and her husband to be invited a good friend of his. Also a young son of the bride.

One was actually in the courtroom and friends and family was able to sit during the exchanging of vows.

Where do you stop in selecting ones to ask? That can be touchy, so I would keep it simple. You could ask the Mayor or whoever is performing the ceremony what they prefer.

I think a simple suit or dress for yourself, something pretty and a basic suit for the man, if this style suits you both. A bouquet would be nice, a simple one. Get advise from the florist on how to press and preserve a rose or such, if you wish.

You can leave right from the courthouse for your next desination, honeymoon or home. Or can meet anyone somewhere afterwards for a drink or such. Not unheard of to add: Dutch treat.

It all centers around you and him and where your comfort zone is and what you can afford to do. Have a friend take pictures during it all is nice.

Wishing you the best....great news! Blessings...
  4. whoachief

whoachief New Member

No great words of advice here - just wanted to wish my congratulations!!!
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Congratulations! Have you set a date yet?

My husband and I got married in a courthouse.

We chose this because we did not want an elaborate affair. I wore a street dress that so happened to be white with brown buttons and a brown belt and my husband had on dress pants, dress shirt, and a tie.

We brought a couple to stand up with us, because in this state you had to have 2 witnesses.

We had our rings to exchange with us and that was it. No flowers, no fuss.

Then we went out and celebrated!!

That was right for us at the time and I have no regrets. I don't feel I missed out on anything. My father had told us that he would give us $500 cash (this was 35 years ago!) or pay for a big wedding, whichever I wanted. We chose the $500 cash! My hubby was shy, and still is, and didn't want a big fuss anyway, and we needed furniture!!!

We've been married nearly 35 years and, after putting on a big wedding for our oldest daughter, I'm certainly glad that we went to the courthouse and took the money!! LOL
    We offered our daughter cash not to have a wedding, but she chose the wedding. After all the "disagreements" about the wedding, she later said she wished that she had taken the cash, too! LOL

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

Like Stormy said, do whatever you want to do.

I had a small church wedding and just a friend came. She was like my "maid of honor".

It was very nice.

I'm very happy for you and wish you a happy marriage.

Kendra
  7. twister425

twister425 New Member

Thank you to all that replied! We are getting married on Valentines Day! We have know each other for about 23 years, I married someone else,got a divorce and know we have been together for 3 1/2 years. I am so happy we found the real meaning of our friendship, which finally evolved to a wonderful relatationship. I believe Darren to be my soulmate!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again.

Sherri
  8. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

goodluck!!
  9. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Congratulations!!

I'm a wedding planner by trade.. and the RULES ARE...

there are no rules. It's not like the old days when Ettiquette controlled your wedding.. MS. Manners isn't invited..

You do what you can to make it special and meaningful to you.

Small weddings have been more popular this year than I have seen in the 8 years I have been in the business. Alot of couples are doing small weddings (20 or under) in our courtyard or on the terrace then just making dinner reservations for their reception. You can still order a bottle of nice Champange and have a toast.. You can order a miniture cake.. You can make it as special as you like. Alot of the small weddings the bride either carries a SMALL boquet or a single red rose, single lilly..

The main thing is do something fun after.. Very happy for you!!
    Congratulations again,
    Hugs!
    dona
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Getting married on Valentine's Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After you two knowing each other for so many years, this has to be the love of your life!

How wonderful!

Whatever you decide for your wedding will be special for both of you and I am sure you will remember as the best day of your life ... for the rest of your life.

Special blessings to you, some "sweet" smells on Valentine's Day, a touch of chocolate, and give the groom a hug for me!!
    ..... Janet
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Congratulations!!! We are were married in the courthouse. Just the two of us went. As I remember the "justice of the peace" who performed the ceremony was also out witness.

We talked about renewing our vows again some day and getting all dressed up and having it in a church, something really nice.

It would be fun - we have been so happily married. I wish you the very best!!!