OT: I'm officially a writer!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Braingonebad, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

I submitted an article to a bird mag I read, and it was accepted!

I've wanted to be a writer for years, been writing forever...

But I thought it was pretty cool that I got a contract on only my 2nd try!

Don't know when it'll be in print, but it feels good to be * working* after being unemployed for almost 4 years...

And this inspired my husband to help get that spare bedroom - my son's old room - ready for me to use as my office. My desk is all set up, computer, printer, the whole deal.

<crackin' my knuckles, big ol' grin!>

I plan to write free lance stuff like that and submit to the bird mags while I keep working on my real love - horror novels! If I can get a few mag bylines on my resume, that'll help get the publishers attention on the books.

Not too shabby for a broken ol' chick like me, anyways.

2. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

THATS EXCITING. GOOD FOT YOU. I WISH I COULD BE CREATIVE AND PRODUCTIVE. SO HAPPY FOR YOU.
  3. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Judy - I read Bird and Bloom too. And about 5 other bird mags, LOL! It'll be in Bird Times. I'll let you know when they release it.

It's not like gettin' my picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone, but I'm still gonna order an extra copy for my mother -he he he!
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

That is an enormous accomplishment!!!!

Congratulations - I think you should change your name - that brain is working really well.

That is not a small thing - to break into print. AND to set up your own personal space for writing.

What was the article about? Can't wait to read it. I love reading essays on natural history topics.

Go for the novel - how exciting. Have you started already?

Best wishes.
    windblade
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've flirted enough w/writing to know that YOU DONE GOOD!

Getting an acceptance letter must be one of the best feelings in the world! (Someday I hope to find out for sure!)
  6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I am happy for you! Writing is a job that would work well for us. You can write at home in your pj`s if need be. I am thinking of taking some writing and art courses when I am up to it. It is something I have always felt lead to do but have put off because I was always busy raising my kids.

They are 15 and 10 now so I have a little more free time when I am not shuffling them to their activities. My 15 year old is getting is drivers licence Wednesday so he can take himself to some of his activites.

Continue on with your passion.
    Sandy
  7. diva2mi

diva2mi New Member

that is awesome Braingonebad... I am an aspiring writer as well. I will be published hopefully next year in an encylopedia for high school students... It isn't much, but it is a start. Congrats once again!
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Congratulations! I hope you really enjoy your new work!

Sue
  9. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Thanks to you all for your kind words, and the best of luck to all my fellow writers, too!

I read Stephen King's book, On Writing, found it very inspirational. Even if you're no fan of his work, you may find you like that man. He's down-to-earth.

He basically says, read a lot, write alot, and submit, submit submit! And be as proud of those rejections letters as the acceptance letters!

He claims to have a hefty stack of them!

It is a lot easier to write now, with my own room. I can keep the distractions to a minimum. That would be my first suggestion - a quiet space, nice and comfy, no phones!
  10. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Ok, you now have that taste of being a writer....keep going.When you finish that horror novel I will for sure get a copy.My daughter is a big reader and her favorite style to read is horror and fantasy.If you need any inspiration I could tell you some of my nightmares.They are right up there with Stephen King and a few steps beyond.
    So proud of you!!!!
    Sheila
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I've always been afraid to send my stuff in! You are very brave.

Hugs,
    Greenbean
  12. diva2mi

diva2mi New Member

I have been a fan of his work for awhile, well many years in fact. When he came out with On Writing, I found it a joy to read and very insightful. It gave me a lot of hope.

Hope you have a good holiday!

Brandee
  13. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

A lot of us miss working.It's great to see one of us working and doing something she loves!Linda