OT I'm SO SICK of nursing school

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CockatooMom, Jun 11, 2006.

1. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I just started a microbiology class last Monday night, June 5th. It's an 8 week course, 3 nights a week, 3 hours each.

This is the last required class, besides my nursing classes, that I have to take to finish my degree and graduate next year this time to become a registered nurse.

I'm an adult student and I'm just plain pooped! I do not feel the same way I did when I started classes in 2004, or even last fall for that matter.

I'm having trouble remembering everything. I can't get organized enough to study. I have a notebook FULL of information and I don't know where to start.

I've been trying to study for Monday's quiz since last Thursday. It's not going well.

Maybe I made a mistake. Maybe I chose the wrong profession. Maybe, maybe, maybe...who knows! Ugh!!

Thanks for listening (reading). Just venting!

Love you all!
    CockatooMom
    "E"

2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have been thinking how i may go back to dental hygiene school...but that means i have to take human anatomy, the micorbiology, maybe the nutrition course...and chemistry...

i have to take these as prequistes before i can even apply at some hygiene schools....here in california...

well hang in there mom....and it will pay off...i am hoping i can get through it so i can work and increase my retirement they are getting paid very well out here in california...

hugs

jodie
  3. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I'm also in nursing school, and I will graduate as a registered nurse in May of next year. It's extremely tough for anyone, but when you have a chronic disease it's even worse. Thankfully, I'm on summer break right now, since I've finished all of my gen. ed. classes. However, I found that while in school I've been getting sick ALOT more often and my CFIDS has been flaring up more often. Every semester I get hit with one or two very bad viruses. In March I had a fever of 103 for 5 days straight. I thought I was going to die...or I wished I would die. After that, it sent me into a bad relapse, which I've been in ever since.

I run almost constant low-grade fevers. Anywhere from 99.4 to 100, however, lately they've been on the upper end of the scale. Some days I'll take my temperature when I'm actually feeling half normal, and it's anywhere from 97.5 to 98.0. As soon as it goes over 99.0, I start feeling miserable. It makes it extremely difficult to concentrate on studying.

The thing to remember is not to beat yourself up over it. Do the best you can, that's all you can do. I don't know what your school is like, but for our nursing program we need to have a 75 or better to pass the nursing classes. Whenever I go into the tests, I just tell myself that I only need a 75 to pass, and I'd be happy with that. Would I like to get an A? Sure I would, but not at the expense of my health. Because I don't want to burn myself out before I even begin my career.

Just remember you are in the home stretch. One more year to go, and then you can walk across that stage with your degree and realize that you made it, and that you didn't let your disease stop you. Just think of how good that will feel, and it will keep you going. And remember, you are not alone. We're going through it together, so I can relate to how you are feeling.

Gentle healing hugs,
    Kim
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You're the second person to say they're sick of nursing school. A good friend of mine is working on her PA, also working at a doctor's office and has kids. She does not have CFS/FM, but in all her health, she is very frustrated with it. It's HARD.

We need good nurses now more than ever and maybe you can be an advocate for these illnesses. Could you take a semester off and give yourself a break?

Marta

5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

...for the encouragement to "keep on truckin" and follow through to the finish!

Thank you Jodieplace for being proud of me. I don't give myself enough credit sometimes for what I HAVE accomplished so far.

Prickles and Donnaeil your kind words mean a lot too. Education to others about our diseases IS SO important! I haven't decided on a specialty, maybe rheumatology IS a way to go and help more people like us.

Marta yes, it is VERY HARD! I've never done anything so hard in my life. And being an advocate would be a good way to use my life for the betterment of healthcare. Tell your friend kmd90603 and I BOTH understand what she's going through. I'l be praying for the three of us! LOL

And, Kmd90603, yes, we have to pass with a 75% also. If a student has a 74.4 it's a "no go" on moving to the next level. It could be worse. There is a girl in my micro class that has to pass with a 79% in her nursing classes at her school. Glad I'm not there!

Kmd90603, we will have to keep in touch through the board and encourage each other. I cannot afford to take any time off from school because my husband is supporting us alone. He's VERY stressed out and having problems in his own business. (self-employed)

I only chose to take micro in the summer to keep from having to take it in the fall WITH my nursing classes. I took psychology and Spanish last semester with my nursing classes and about lost my mind (short trip!) LOL!

Thanks again everyone!
    I WILL keep on keepin on!
    Time to hit the books!

Love to all,
    CockatooMom
    "E"
  6. 1horse

1horse New Member

hey, good for you. Keep it up even when you get discourage and are tired.. You can do it..When I went through nursing school I was newely divorced, had two kids to support, Had to go on welfare to help me out lived with my mom and dad, which really saved me,was in my 30's and every day I thought I would not make it..The LORD got me through it and I have helped many people in my career.. I cannot tell you how glad I was that I hung in there. So please hang in there..it is a wonderful career.. your friend Peggy
  7. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi There,
    I understand so well what you what you are dealing with and I know it's hard. You may have to make some adaptations for your FM but you can do it!

I am retired now but I loved nursing so much. I eventually became a nursing teacher and it was rewarding helping others become nurses. We badly need people like you who undestand both sides. You will be a very caring professional when you finish. If you need to come here for motivation, do it as often as you need to. You will be glad you did and we will all be proud!

Kathy.
  8. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

I am in school 4 nights a week from 6 pm to 10:20 pm. I am going for Vet tech, but it is simialr to what you all llearn for RN. Excpet we have to remember the anatomy of all kinds of animals, the diseases that affect each, how to shoot Xrays on each etc........I had to take human anatomy, microbiology, algebra, biology, chem and Nevada history. We need a 77% to move on.

Some days are excrutiating.....I take my B12, try to rest, use a lot of FLASHcards and try to make up really stupid things to remember things. Some tests I do extremely well, and some not so well.

I will graduate in April of next year, then have to sit for the national boards. From what I hear they are extremely difficult to pass and that scares the poo out of me....

But I refuse to let this dd ruin the restof my life. It will NOT take me out. I will work doing something I love even if it is neve more than part time.

Everyone here who is back in school can do it. And pp are right....we need more nurses who know this dd and are compassionate. I would have you be my nurse in a nanosecond!

Good luck to all!

Misty

[ advertisement ]