OT. IS ANYONE WATCHING DESIGN STAR FINAL TONIGHT?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have to admit, even though I rarely watch tv I have gotten hooked on Design Star on HGTV. Tonight is the final where viewers get to vote.

I know there are several decorators out on the board and I wonder is anyone else following it?

Love Anne
  2. keke466

keke466 New Member

I watch it. Think I'll vote for the woman,can't remember her name right name. Although I think they're both good. I'm not much of a decorator myself but I like to watch these kind of shows. When I'm feeling bad and lying around I can watch them all day on the weekends. Also like to watch shows on TLC and A&E.

Happy watching,Keke
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

really enjoying the contest. I am personally going to vote for David. I think he has a huge amount of talent for looking at the room and seeing what the END product will turn out to be. I don't get what they mean about his "odd" or whatever word they used about his on camera persona. I think he comes across as sincerely interested in their opinions and suggestions. I think he does have a cute boyish quality but that's no sin and I'm sure will fade with age and experience.

I've been impressed with every design he's done and especially last week. That was a tunnel and he really did a good job of making it work as different areas for different uses. I would have been at aloss as to where to start on that room.

I'm sorry but I just don't care for the girl. Whoops! Don't remember her name even. She always looks so much like she's borderline depressed and cries at the drop of a hat. I don't think she has the personality to work with a crew and get what SHE wants out of them. David does. He's likable and at the same time manages to get the most out of any help he has.

Well that's just one voter's opinion and he's got MY vote! I'll probably be crying like the woman if heloses. Just heard the commercial and her name is Alice. Back to Wondeerland Alice!!! Haha. Bambi
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2006]
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

YES, Anne, I am!!

I have really enjoyed watching this show! I am a big fan of the HGTV Channel and watch most of their shows.

I have not made up my mind which person that I will be voting for. I think they are both good. I guess tonight's design will make the difference for me!

I also really enjoy the shows that are out there now about people buying run-down houses and fixing them up to sell. There are a few: Property Ladder (on TLC), Flip This House, and Flip That House (on A&E and maybe Bravo???).

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Never heard of it.

Isn't the design of a star pretty well established by now?
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You are too funny!!! I will get back to you later...see end of letter here.

In last week's I actually thought Tym was better than Alice as I could not really see much difference between the before and after in her room it was all still browns etc. I thought Tym really gave that lady what she wanted and the panel presumed that ALL women want feminine things yet that lady looked as if clean and sleek was more here style to me.

I figured TYM would get knocked out due to being 46, but I thought he and the guy (David?) would make a good team. I also liked one of the twins designs.

It is a bit unfair as one would normally as a designer chose the sort of venue one would want, and turn down something alien. He did make a nice job of that drab basement area though. The thing that I can never fathom is $10,000 to make over one room..... gee, Dan is wondering why we have spent $15,000 of our loan money on this place so far when we had to rewire, knock down walls, refloor subfloors and top flooring, sheetrock, build walls, repaint total exterior, new furnace, new water heater new plumbing and sink, and all new appliances. Oh and run new heat vents and install a new gas fire and chimney. Not to mention making over all the kitchen cabinets. Maybe I should be on a show called design on less than a dime....

Rockgor-now to you. When we were kids, the local church had a fete and my sister got the contest mixed up. There was a fancy dress contest and a dressiest bike contest. Now this was just post war and everything was still on ration and the bikes we had were cobbled together things for sure.

My sister said we had to dress the bike and ourselves in fancy dress. So using crepe paper(that one never sees these days but we loved it) we wound the whole bike in green, and made leaves and yellow daffodils all over, then dressed my sister as a big daffodil carrying crepe apper daffodils in her bike basket.

When we got there, other kids were dressed as famous people(which was the real fancy dress) and the bike was meant to be painted and polished up the chrome and such. My sister just about died, but we said go ahead, you will win for originality(well I didn't say that as I was about 6 and she was 8) but big sister and my brother did.

On the parade everyone was laughing but they cheered too, and to cap it all it rained and the crepe paper ran in green rivers all over her body and ripped so everyone saw her underpants!!!

So I was thinking we should have a dress your wheelchair contest here and you wheelies should post your pics.

One of these days I have to write a book about growing up in post war England and all the funny things that happened to us. We were a bit like The Little Rascals, thta was, incidentally filmed here where I now live. Guess where that was Rockgor, it was actually the first place for mass movies before the weather drove the producers to Hollywood.

Love to all Don't forget to vote, I am leaning towards David but would like to see them together in a show, even though Alice is a bit on the weepy side.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

It's 8:51 pm now ..... I've got to shut down this computer so I can go turn it on!!!!

Going to get a bowl of butter pecan ice cream and prop up in my recliner!!!

Love,
    Janet
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

David for sure. Though I would have done a sort of lounging room with hammocks and silks and such, lots of plants like an opulent sun room.

Although the light was OK I thought Alice's room was like any I would see anywhere.

What do you think?

Love Anne
  9. sues1

sues1 New Member

He is such a cutie, but also very talented. That long tunnel of a room left me speechless when I first saw it. I could not imagine how he would handle it. He did a terrific job. I'd like to see more of his work.

Alice is also very talented. But her room was easy compared to his. All in good taste, but easier to do for sure.

I am surprised that I have followed this show.

I like "House Hunting"....and I am amused at myself. I really enjoy it and also "What not to wear".

Now all this TV watching would be benefical if I really decorated my house (It is not bad really) and I dressed better. But Hey....what is wrong with sweat pants, Tee shirts and barefeet...OK, I put on shoes when I go away!

SOMEONE LET me know who wins. I just got back from a long week end out of state.......thanks............Susan
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Yes, Anne, I remember reading that lots of movies were made in New York and New Jersey before the movies went west ca. 1910 or so.

Partly cause CALifornia had lots of sunshine and partly to avoid Thomas Edison who was trying to enforce his patents.

I remember the parades we used to have in our village when I was a kid. A float was a hay wagon (this was a farming village) w/ lots of crepe paper and some kids sitting on bales of hay and waving.

Probably a home made sign that said Happy Something or Other. Maybe some football players if it was Homecoming.

In 1950 my brother and I won a prize. I was 10 and he was 5. I was dressed as a bride w/ lot of pillows and he was the groom.

In the Memorial Day parade My father marched w/ the Honor Guard from WWII, I played in the band, my brother was a boy scout, and my mother waved from the sidewalk.

About half the village was in the parade and the other half on the sidewalk. I doubt if the budget for any float exceeded $20. What does a Rose Bowl float cost now? A million?
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I just got done watching the finale, it was so good!! I just love that those two are so into their work and not all catty like many people on other reality shows.

I like them both. They are so talented! I was a designer for 7 years and still do it as a hobby, so HGTV is just one of my fave's. I like Alice because she doesn't always do ultra-contemporary designs, she mixes it up. I like David because he is so talented with his sketches and his final design flows so well. His final room was better than Alice's, in my opinion. But they are both really good on camera and come across very warm and likeable. Well, that was just fun to watch. Hope you all enjoyed it too, I'm glad to find other design enthusiasts!!
    Take care, Kim
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

I asked to be told who won........as I got to the end of my posting I forgot that viewers were voting on this last one!

I got back from 8 hr. trip..so not up to snuff. Anyhow I found a rerun on the last competion. I was disappointed in Alice's room. Her presentation was great. I am not so talented at all, but I could of improved on her room. The overhead light was so great though.

Loved David's room. I wondered how many times he said the word "Cool" in describing the room? LOL. But loved him anyhow.

Both are great, but David is my favorite. I thought also that Temple, from previous shows, was talented and she did not have training, which is remarkable.
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

I voted for David. I guess I like both of them, but I thought David's room looked much better. I agree that Alice's room just didn't look like it was done by a designer! Anyone could have "thrown" that room together!! LOL

Both did OK with their on-screen performances, but I just think David was better.

I guess we will see Sunday who wins!!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  14. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I voted for David. The girl is too predictable in her designs. He has fresh and new ideas, always different. Can't wait to see who wins!!

I'm a HGTV junkie also!!

Jennifer
  15. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well our vote seems unanimous for David.

Love Anne