OT--just got a darling cockatiel, But.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laura81655, Sep 25, 2005.

1. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi you guys.... My DH and I bought a cute cockatiel last Friday. He(we think he is a male) is quite tame, in fact so much so that whenever we put him back in his cage he screams for hours! He just likes to stay on our shoulder! We bought him from a pet store that only sells birds. I'm hoping that he will get over this, any suggestions? I know that there are a lot of animal and bird lovers on here :) Thanks....
  2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Well, we have a cat, but she is getting old, and sleeps most of the time. We had a cockatiel many years ago that liked his cage for some strange reason. He has a bunch of toys in his cage. The perch is a good idea. Gonna try that....
  3. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Maybe he thinks that he's going back to the pet store when he has to be in the cage, or he had some bad experience with being forced into his cage, maybe with other birds or getting stuck there. Who knows? You should ask him why he doesn't like the cage and watch his body language.

I know this is hard to believe, but my rescued cat tells me absolutely everything that she wants me to do for her. She virtually orders me about. It's hilarious! I think it's cause I listen to her.

The cage will probaby become more comfortable in time if you make it a really homey kind of place for him to hang out in. In the meantime, I guess your shoulders will be busy. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2005]
  4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Laura we have the same problem with Willie. He is so spoiled. Even more now since he's return home after being lost.

Willie is out of his cage most of the time and loves my shoulder. He is not in his cage very often. Loves to sit on to of the kitchen cupboards!

He screams in his cage if we're not around. Today I went outside and all I heard was him screaming. He is piercing. Sometimes I have to put him in a dark room to shut him up! ha

Anyway you will love your little bird. They are so funny and love the company.

Enjoy
    Cindy
  5. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Oh Cindy, you were so lucky to find him ! So glad that worked out. Yes, the "shoulder" is THE place to be. Willy and Do-dah sound very similar :)
    -Laura
  6. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

Sometimes answering him back will help calm him especially if you leave the room. Birds in the wild call to each other because they need the security of their flock. You are his flock now and he may be uncertain when you aren't around. Also you may want to offer him a special treat when he's on a play stand. Bring the stand from room to room with you. Is his cage in an area where he can watch you and be part of the flock? Also will he stay on top of his cage at all?
    Since you've only had him for a short time this may be the first time he is in a family setting. He may be screaming for assurance. Just my thoughts. Got a' love our feathered kids.
  7. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I have a bird also, a green cheek conure. He's about the same size as a cockatiel, but looks like a parrot.

Angelo gets into screaming fits also. I found out that if I go to him it only re-inforces the screaming. What I've been doing is this: When he screams for more than a short time, I'll go to the cage (it's almost alway unlocked) and put him back in and cover him up -- with an extra covering if needed to make it darker. While I do this I tell him very sternly "no screaming".

After he quiets down for a bit, I'll unconver the cage and pick him up for a short time and talk sweetly to him. I don't uncover him unless he's quiet, but that's not a problem -- the covering seems to calm him quickly.

I can't always be within his sight and I want him to learn to behave. The screaming can drive you bonkers real quick.

He's about five now, and for the most part this tactic has been working. Birds are very social creatures, both as pets and in the wild.

I find that if I slip up and start giving him attention when he screams, it only gets worse and worse.

Hope it works out for you and your feather-baby

Mar
  8. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi Laura,
    Congrats on your bird! I have an African Grey named Princess..and she is out of her cage whenever I'm home. She loves to whistle, talk, make drum noises, and tell the dogs to stop barking! She also barks herself, and meows! She of course is in the livingroom in front of the big screen tv, and watches cartoons all day..funny...the louder the tv gets, the louder she gets!
    I have found that Princess makes a lot more noise when she is out of her cage. When she gets tired, she goes onto her perch and says "Prin go nite-nite." Then I cover her and she goes to sleep. Cockatiels arent real quiet, so I'm not sure it'll get better for ya!
    Good luck!
  9. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I knew I would get some advice from this board! Yes, these feather and fur people help keep me sane while dealing with this pain! (rhymes, oh well....