OT: Kids' drinks spiked w/speed Weds nite

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MKlady, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. MKlady

    MKlady New Member

    My daughter and boyfriend were at a pool hall and left their beers on the table to play pool. Came back shortly and finished beers and left.

    Daughter felt very strange driving home and boyfriend did shortly after...she freaked out, hallucinated, cried and shook all night and he passed out. She couldn't get out of bed til noon yesterday, both of them missed work and they still feel horrible.

    She knew they'd been drugged - her research online indicates speed.

    Has anyone very heard of this happening? What could possess a total stranger to do this? Any advice?

    I'm horrified and scared.
  2. victoria

    victoria New Member

    even back in the 1960s... one reason why my husband always asked for a beer and had it opened at the table...smart, except I don't like beer.

    I had something similar happen to me as your daughter when I was 21 - in 1972 - I was out at the bar where I was with a lot of people I 'knew', went to dance with someone and came back to my drink....

    the next thing I knew, friends were bodily carrying me out trying to not attract attention and then I was throwing up violently in the alley; also lost my whole art portfolio that night in the alley..

    I got a ride home, I never knew who did it or what it was, could've been anyone/thing - but I never left my drink 'alone' again...

    it was a wonder I didn't die; luckily I was able to sleep it off - also missed a days' work.

    So the moral of the story is, don't leave drinks alone because it's all too easy to slip something into it for 'fun' - there are some really warped people out there!

    esp that date rape drug altho I think now they have reformulated it so that one knows if it's been added.

    so sorry it happened to your daughter, but at least it wasn't "too" bad! - ie, didn't end up in the hospital or worse!

    All the best,
    Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 01/27/2006]
  3. MKlady

    MKlady New Member

    ... I must have led a very sheltered life. Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry you too had to experience this. And you're so right - never leave a drink unattended!!
  4. Alyndra

    Alyndra New Member

    I live in the Canadian version of Vegas. Unfortunately that type of thing happens on a daily to weekly basis here.

    Bars, clubs, schools... all the same.

    The only advice that works is never leave your drink unattended; or with anyone else.

    A guy I went to school with slipped something in his girlfriends drink to give her a 'good time'. 3 days later I was at her funeral.

    Unfortunately people don't need much of a reason to do this these days.

    ~Amanda
  5. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    ..I am glad your daughter and her friend are OK. This sounds like something more than just speed if she was hallucinating.

    I had this done with "acid" (an hallucinagentic) in the mid 70's and I live in a very small town. To this day I take my drink with me...even to the restroom.

    Karen
  6. 69mach1

    69mach1 New Member

    i live in the san francisco bay area and small towns are not exempt to idiots....

    you can not leave your drinks ever with anyone but your slef or your mother....

    they like to put the date rape drug in it...anything to get what they may want...could just be thier little minds being jealous.../

    my s0hubby worked and still works in bars in the bay area..same thing still going on...

    jodie
  7. Sandyz

    Sandyz New Member

    I`m sorry to hear that happened but not surprised. I`ve known plenty of people it has happened to. These creeps get their kicks out of doing that to people. I agree with the others who said it does`t sound like speed. If it were speed they would have never fallen asleep that fast. They probably would have been up for a day. I would report it to the bar too, the next person may die from it.
  8. 69mach1

    69mach1 New Member

    it could have been anything...tey coudl go to the hosipital and have it tested to see what chemical it was...call the 1800# for drug overdose...

    jodie
  9. MKlady

    MKlady New Member

    The kids are fine, thank goodness! When daughter talked to the bar, they said it had happened there before. I had never thought to talk to her about this, but believe me she learned her lesson.

    Thanks for all your responses and suggestions!

    Mary
  10. Juloo

    Juloo Member

    It hadn't occurred to me until I read your post that I should probably have this talk w/my son now -- even if he's only 9.

    I grew up in New Orleans, so I knew to be very wary of leaving a drink unattended, but still, it's terrible that it happens, period. I haven't been out in such a long time, I hadn't even thought of it lately.

    Thanks for reminding me!
  11. MKlady

    MKlady New Member

    I sure appreciate both the support and the info. Thanks!
  12. WoodstocksMusic

    WoodstocksMusic New Member

    I was 17 years old and working a summer job... my lunch break (30 minutes) I raced down to the sonic for the brown bag special. An hour later I was so sick I had to go home...by the time I got home I scared mother to death...she said my eyes looked "wild" I knew the following day that I had been drugged by someone at that sonic....small town and that was between my junior and senior year in high school.... I was not an athlete...no clue as to who I might have made mad enough to do that... I had actually dropped out of the public school my sophomore year and was going to a christian school in the next county...

    I have very carefully watched my drinks since that date and am thankful for a reminder...I have a 16 year old son that needs to be reminded.
  13. MKlady

    MKlady New Member

    Thanks, vilke!
  14. davebhoy

    davebhoy New Member

    sounds pretty horrible but it doesnt sound like speed to me.

    best to let them know that once its out of their system thats it - its gone and the feelings wont come back. these things can be traumatic and can lead to a fear that all the nasty side-effects will come back. sometimes a reassurance that that wont happen really helps