OT kind of, but not really computer question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, May 26, 2006.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I don't have a computer at home, and I am getting close to quitting my job ( after 22 years ). I call it retiring even though I'm "only" 58!

I have no trouble using the computer in my work but...........I do not know anything about internet providers, high speed, dial up, all that stuff. I also don't know what brand to buy.

I won't be able to stay here on the board with you all if I don't get one!!

I don't want any type of service that would tie up my phone line.

I don't want a real cheap one, but I also don't need anything too fancy.

You guys know about these things. What would you suggest. Please give me some input.

Thanks, Kinsie
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Some libraries allow you to use the computers there. I think there is a time limit, though.

I use a compaq computer, with windows xp. I use either netscape or internet explorer. (We kid around and say "netscrape" and "internet exploder". just kidding! LOL)

If you go to a reputable computer store and tell them what you need it to do, they can be a real help.

God Bless.
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Since Internet Explorer is so common, it is popular with hackers. If you use it (or any browser) for e-mail, you have to enter your e-mail address. Once it is in IE, you cannot remove it and any site you visit can read you e-mail address. I use Mozilla.
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

You might could get one for a reasonable price though if you were looking for a laptop, etc. You can check online at work www.apple.com

If you don't want to tie up your phone line, DSL would be good. Faster than that would be cable internet, but they usually costs the most. I have that and I love it. Also am on wireless.

Apple makes reallly good computers if you have an Apple Store near you.

There is/was another thread going on about laptops from another member. Maybe you could look for that one.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To Livin4Him who wanted to know what kind of laptop to buy. With wi-fi, you could get by with just a laptop and use it wirelessly anywhere in your home. Go to your local store and find a friendly geek there and he will be more than happy to discuss your options. Just don't let anyone sell you more than you need.

Love, Mikie