OT (kind of) puppy related, stressful situation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I don't know anyone else to ask except my friends here.

First I was having quite a bit more pain yesterday, and this morning for what reason I don't know.

When I finally drug myself up this morning, let my little chihuahua ( 7 1/2 mo old) out of her room to play. She went to her wee wee pad, and did a poop with lots of blood.

Well, this scared me half to death. Never saw anything like this before.

I had a busy morning lined up at work, and couldn't drop everything to run to the vet. So, I finally got a break, and took her.

The vet said it could be from the antibiotic she had been taking for tonsillitis ( yes, she had tonsillitis!), or some kind of gastritis. She got a shot and some pills.
    They didn't seem to think it amounted to much.

Well, to me it's a big deal. Have any of you ever had this experience with your pups before?

Now, after this incident, my pain level has shot way up!!!

Please let me hear from you if you can shed some light on this for me before I worry myself sick.

Thanks,

Kinsie
  2. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

We do get very attached to our pets for sure. It's hard enough to cope with what we all cope with every day without our little buddies getting sick.

Kinsie
  3. shell

shell New Member

Hey Kinsie,
    This exact thing happened to me with one of my puppies. I took him in and they said she had probably eaten something that had bothered his insides. It went away within a week. They must have some sensitive tummies!! Since then I have had another pup with a swollen face/allergy attack and then a lump on it's shoulder that eventually just went away (doctor had no clue). Since they have gotten older they don't seem to have such oddball things going on. :)

shell
  4. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Both of my dogs have had episodes like this. One of mine had blood in his stool and coming from his rear so bad I thought he must have really injured something inside that was bleeding horribly, but I rushed him to the vet and it ended up being a digestive issue. When they did tests on his stool, they said it was like 85% blood! Obviously he had to be checked in and stayed for a couple days. His intestines and colon were so swollen (but I didn't know it) for a long time and wouldn't have until the blood incident - It was horrible!

Anyway, one ended up being diagnosed with severe colitis and the other had gastroenteritis. So now both have to be on a sensitive system diet.
  5. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I appreciate your replies. Buttons is doing much better today.

Kinsie
  6. 1horse

1horse New Member

yes I have had that experience and it turned out to be a gastritis.. I put my dog on boiled rice and boiled chicken for a week.. she is a bigger dog than your little one but listen to the vet..antib's can also do it. they sure do worry us huh.. take care Peggy
  7. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

that puppies can get that will cause a mucus & blood discharge. Was it just blood? This you can see at the end of the BM. It is treatable.

Hope it is something simple!

Good luck
    Kelly
  8. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

It makes me feel so much better that this isn't a rare problem. I have not had a dog since I was a kid. Everthing she does is new to me.

It's kind of sad when the highlight of your morning is when your dog does a normal poo-poo!. Well, after what she did yesterday, I didn't know what to expect.

The vet checked for parasites, etc. It's probably just some kind of gastritis.

My Mom has a little black mixed breed dog from the pound. I can't say that he's ever been sick in the 7 years she has had him. My brother and his wife, adopted a Border Collie from a Border Collie rescue. He's never been sick either.

I get the cutest, sweetest little doggie, and the poor little thing has just had one thing after another. We treat her like a queen ( yes, spoiled isn't the word for it). So, I guess dogs are just like people in some ways. Some are just stronger, and healthier than others.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Kinsie

P.S. 1horse - what a beautiful horse in your profile. Vilke, I'll check into the probiotics.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2006]
  9. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Kinsie,
    What a scare! I bet your heart jumped.
    Your vet is probably right. Did he tell you to feed something soothing? When my puppies (Or older dogs, for that matter) had intestinal upsets, I used to feed them a mixture of lean hamburger meat and white rice, mixed with some of their food. Or even a treat of Baby Cream of Rice cereal. It sooths the insides and helps normalize the colon.
    Just be on the watch for further symptoms. If your puppy becomes depressed or starts to refuse water and/or food,and starts vomiting, then take it back to the vet ASAP, as those are signs of Parvovirus, which is very serious and is highly contagious to other puppies and old dogs.
    I bet it is just an upset, though.
    I wish you and the little one well.
    Terry
  10. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

vilke - Thanks for the great info!! I will have to look into that for my two.

Also, Kinsie, did you get your puppy from a pet store?? Or a backyard breeder?

Where you got your puppy can have a lot to do with its health, etc.
  11. lolee

lolee New Member

it's so sad because they can't tell us what's wrong!

I have a dog that I SWEAR is allergic to . . .dogs!

This poor guy is about 13 years old and he is a BIG dog, he has lived about 4 years too long, sorry to say it, but it is the truth. He has very little hair, smells like bad feet if he doesn't get a "coal tar" bath, he's blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, NOT kidding! And he's deaf as a door nail! Poor guy, but I love him so and he doesn't seem to be in pain. His bed is better then mine! LOL!

ANYWAY . . . . .I do the rice and chicken too, but I use chicken livers. Just boil them till they are cooked and then add the right amount of rice for the liquid that's left and let it cook . . . .keep in the fridge and heat up at meal time . . . .of course I have to use a huge tamale pot just to get 2-3 days worth of food. But I feel better doing this for him and I hope he feels the love!!

It sounds like your Buttons has a good Mommy!

Luv,

Lolee