OT: Laid off work after 23 years

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Well, I had the shock of my life Tuesday the 26th. The company I worked for was bought by a huge corporation 2 years ago. Somehow the manager's wife and son also work in the office even though it's directly against company policy(an office of 14 people). His wife does the same type of work I do, and she's out to get everything and everybody in her way.

I've known for some time that she wants us "older" girls out of the office, and they pick on us all the time. But in my wildest imagination I would never have thought they would actually let me go.

I started with the company in 1984, and I am not going to take this lying down!

I have put my complaint into Human Resourses, and I have contacted a lawyer.

I was the only one they laid off. My bosses excuse is that the corporate office told him to lay off someone, and because I could "afford to lose a few paychecks" it would be me.!!

I have never been so devistated! I never dreamed this kind of thing would happen to me.

I'm at the library now using the computer. I am going tomorrow to buy one for home, and it should be up and running by Thursday.

I just had to tell my friends.

Kinsie
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I am also glad your NOT taking it lying down.Good for you.......How dare they make the statement that you can afford to loose a few paychecks.

I hope you get them were it hurts in the pocket book.

Hugs
    Sue
  3. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Your boss implied that because you have a husband, you can "afford to lose a few paychecks." As if your husband was the breadwinner and your paycheck was just for shopping. Hi, Mr. Boss, welcome to the year 2006. You definitely should consult an attorney.
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

This same thing happened to my sister, 59 years, 30 years experience in real estate. She was devastated also. She has only worked at four places in her life. They just didn't want anyone working there that close to 60. Isn't that cruel?
    One customer called her and said That is so wrong and I'm going to tell them that.
    Thank goodness I'm in the best occupation to not have that done to me.
    They did give my sister a nice "package" and the company who was going to place her for free, hired her for themselves.
  5. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Kinsie:

I feel so bad for you...If you have contacted the H/R department you are on the right track. If it is against policy for the manager to have relatives working there, you might get your job back (not that you would want it). Do you have a layoff policy? What about severance pay?

I hope you manage to get something out of them...that is just shocking that you were treated this badly.

Good luck to you.

Ingrid
  6. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I talked with my attorney for almost 2 hours yesterday. She is going to start by writing the company a letter demanding a response in 10 days, and then filing with the EEOC for age discrimination.

I truly don't want my job back, but if we win this, I'm sure I'll have to go back for a certain period of time if I want to get my back pay, etc.

I have worked with some of the same people for over 20 years, and if nothing else good comes from making a case of this, maybe they won't lose their jobs.

They manager, wife and son need to go. So, even if the company offered me the job back, I couldn't work if they were there.

Ya'll are the best. Thanks for the encouraging words.

I'm at the donut shop right now using the computer. Tuesday I went to Best Buy and bought a computer. It's in boxes right now waiting for the "Geek Squad" to come install it for me on Sunday afternoon.

Hopefully, I'll be up and running by Monday!

Talk to you again soon.

Kinsie
  7. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

Hi Kinsie, I lost my job a year ago and it was unfair termination too. I'm now in the midst of a lawsuit and have filed for disability. It hurts real bad after you give a place 25 years of your life. I was not keeping up to their "production standards" which were raised the year before that. They also say that I didn't tell them I had a disability, humph!!!! They darn well knew, I had intermittent FMLA. Oh well, enough about me. I'm truly sorry you had to go through that too. It hurts, and still hurts when I think about it. My heart goes out to you.

Judy
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Kinsie.. did ya know that being over 40 qualifies you for age discrimentation? I know you mentioned "us older girls".. if you could prove it had to do with your age you have a case. Gosh.. I'm so sorry.
    hugs
  9. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Finally, I have a computer at home!

I have hired an attorney. She is filing with the EEOC on age discrimination, along with other action against the company I worked for.

We'll see what happen.

I applied for unemployment pay too.

Thanks for all your replies.

Kinsie
  10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

you go girl ! good for you getting right on it and getting a lawyer.
    And the best thing is haveing a new computer at home :)

goodluck I'm sure you will win ,let us know what happens
  11. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I'll let you all know how the suit goes. I've never been through anything like this before, so I don't know exactly what to expect!

Kinsie
  12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'm glad you have a lawyer...sounds like you also have a good case.

My folks live in Bella Vista, AR....have you seen that part of AR? It's really pretty there.

Enjoy your new computer! Terri
  13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member