OT Looking for Adoption Ceremony Ideas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lbconstable, May 13, 2006.

1. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi All-

I know I haven't been as active on the boards the last few months. I've pretty much had my hands full with 2 beautiful little girls that my husband and I are in the process of adopting. (Their picture is my profile).

The process is moving along and the adoption court hearing is set for August 9, 2006. I'd like to have some kind of ceremony to mark the event.

Would love to hear any thoughts or ideas from you all!

Love & Light-
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

What Beautiful little girls ! You are sooooo lucky to become their Mother ,Happy Mother's Day.Enjoy everyday of your life with them .They will grow so fast.I have to say being a mother of two boys and a daughter has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done .I beleave Children are truely a blessing .Mine are all grown up now but I am blessed being a Grandma of connor 4 and Parker due any time now.My children are not adopted but I have two cousins that were and I love them very much.Good Luck and much happiness.Have a small family reunion and at it have flowers and cake like a wedding .Invite your minister or whom ever a good friend or someone offer a special prayer or poem and light a family unity candle with the girls.Then have a fun BBQ with everyone.I think a lovely gift for your daughters would be a gold locket with their new name on it or initials.
  3. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

we have adopted 2 boys....both when they were infants...they are half brothers...so exciting!!! i am very happy for you!

we didn't have a ceremony or anything...we just got a birth certificate in the mail when it was final...it was done long distance...

but, since you have girls, why not present them with tiny little gold rings or bracelets...and you and dh get matching ones? a physical show that you all are the same and are a family...
    i really like the idea of a party with a fancy cake...they girls would love the cake...like wedding cake...white with sparkles like snow...or fresh flowers on the top...a florist can make a top for you...then take it to the bakery...

or a candle that you light each year on the same day to remember the day...

or pick a song that can be your song...get photo's done each year on the day...of the family...

invite all the family and your friends for a party...or barbeque....your girls will love anything that you decide! they will feel so special! get them a fancy dress to wear that day...boy, everything i suggest reminds me of a wedding! i gues since girls love weddings usually my mind keeps goingthere.... i wish i had something interestingly fab to suggest...good luck and have fun!
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I was gonna ask if you were still feeling better but I think I know the answer! You must have energy to be adopting two. I am so happy for you.

Why not a new familly tradition for the birth of your new familly. Every year you could light a candle and hold you own little birthday party to commemorate the adoption. complete with a special cake, fancy table setting candles and a fancy dinner.

Just a thought Lynn
  5. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi all,

Thank you for the thoughts and kind wishes. Life just changed overnight for us and it is such a blessing! I'll keep you posted as we get closer to the final hearing.

Lynn-
    Yes, I'm doing really well. I'm dragging a bit at times, but I'm really pushing my body's limits with being a mom. There's no way in the world I could have done this before the treatment.

I'm still on Heparin. I am just getting over a bout of sinusitis. It really got the better of me for a few weeks. We changed to Biaxin for a 10 day stint, then I'll go back to the doxy.

How are you doing? You have stopped the Heparin, right?

Love & Light to you all!
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

another idea is to go to like ben franklin's or target think have these kits you can buy maybe around 10.00...you mix up the plaster stuff and they put their hand prints in them...plus it is good idea to get an i.d. card made for them

to keep in a safe place with their names and ages weight height and picture on them...just in case anthing every happens to them god forbid...plus the can do finger printing on a card at the police station's///

soemtimes they run free clinics or programs to help identify a missing child...

i have them in my special file..

but do the first one first they will have fun doing it...
    then just order a pizza or make one...and have them help make the family pizza///

could be a little tradition to do like once a week or once a month...maybe you would like to do it on their formal adoption day/date

jodie
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

If you don't have a video camera, ask a friend to come over and tape the party.
  8. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Yes I have been off the Heperin for a couple of months now I still have a permanent (or so it seems) brown spot across my abdomen for the injections. My test results for the Hypercoagulation were below normal so it definately fixed that problem.

I still have the mycoplasma. That has remained almost unchanged despite nine months of doxy. Now I am trying Zithromax. The Ebv is really good and is inactive. I know that it can become active again if I don't take care of myself.

The best way to describe my improvement is my good days are close to normal and my bad days are fewer and not nearly as bad. every 2 or 3 weeks I will have a day when I feel like laying down around 4. I used to lay down every day by 2 or 3. 4 was a good day. some days I could barely get up. I haven't had one of those in a long time.

I think we will be struggleing with this long term. But I am very happy with the level at which I am functioning now. I am able to do the things I want to most of the time which is amazing. If I were still with the same Rheumy I believe I would have been bedridden by now.

I am so happy for you and I know your children will bring you so much joy. When ever I feel down I just tickle Grant and his sweet smile and giggles make me smile.

Take Care and Congratulations they are darling! Lynn
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

congratulations!! beautiful girls goodluck and may God bless you all!.........................sydney
  10. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I am a birth mother. God bless people like you!
    My children are so lucky to have been adopted by wonderful families.

I am in touch with my daughter, but I am not her "Mom"...she has one already...but I am a friend.

My son returned to my life after 20 years. He was part of my life for 6 years until he died. His family graciously allowed me to attend the viewings and the funeral/burial.

I am so grateful for those families. It let me know that my children were in good hands.

God Bless.
  11. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

I love hearing all of your stories. It's amazing how adoption has touched so many peoples lives.
    since we've gotten the girls, people have shared so many of their own adoption connections. I guess it's not something we talk about much in casual conversation.

So I'm leaning toward an informal BBQ after the official adoption hearing. Maybe a small ceremony at the courthouse and some piece of keepsake jewelry to comemorate the day.

I hadn't thought of acknowledging the day on an annual basis, but love that idea. Like the "gotcha day."

Lynn-
    I'm so impressed with your progress. I am having a bit of a flare today. I have to admit that since motherhood I haven't been as good about my regimen. I miss doses of my heparin and doxy. I've been out of transfer factor for 2 weeks and am forgetting to take my supplements more often than I am taking them :(

Time for me to get disciplined again. We are all so much happier when I can function!!!

Love & Light to all of you!
  12. kellyann

kellyann New Member

You have some darling little girls! My husband and I just finished up with our little girls' adoption. The picture in my profile was taken on her adoption day.

We just had lots of family and friends come to the adoption ceremony. It was so nice, the judge took extra time and really had fun with us, asking all about the family. It was one of the very best days of my life! I do love the child so much.

I would love to adopt another child soon. I want to adopt another special needs child. I am amazed at the progress my daughter has made since we have had her. Just goes to show how much being part of a family really does for these children.

Good luck with your adoption! Have a party! I would have, but was just exhausted after the adoption ordeal. I plan to have a huge birthday party for her when she turns three.

Adoption is wonderful!
    Kellyann