OT : My cat has lost weight - need to see vet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjr2003, Feb 13, 2006.

1. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

Hi everyone:>) This is way off the topic of fibromyalgia,

but it is on my mind, and I thought this would be a great

source of advice! I have a tabby cat who is 13 years old,

and in the past year she has lost weight. She went from

being an overweight tubsy cat, to a slim,trim,looking a bit

arthritic cat. She is eating wonderful, haven't seen a

loss of appetite at all; she was throwing up on a regular

basis for about 3 months, but I have gotten her some

hairball gel and raised her food dishes up by putting them

on an Avon box lid, and that has cut back on the throwing

up to where she only throws up every once in a while,

whereas she was throwing up like 3-4 times per week. She

drinks plenty of water; I don't think she is drinking

excessive water - we have had a few cats that had kidney

trouble in their latter years and drank water obsessively

for about a year before they passed away - she is not doing

that! :>) She sits in her little hut all day and sleeps,

so it is not like she is out there romping the floor away!

I am concerned because she seemed to lose the weight fast

to me. And my parents cat's health really went down hill

fast after she lost weight. If you have any knowledge on

this subject, please share. I have had to put off the vet

appt. that I have made like 3 times for Tabby because I

have been down with ovarian cysts real bad. Also, do I

need to put her on Senior cat food? thanks so much! My

kitty is my baby! until I have real babies, that is! LOL

Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

My cat started having problems with his thyroid and lost weight. I had a friend whose cat lost weight and threw up a lot and it had liver problems. At 13 it is not too old, but I would have it checked out by the vet to know for sure. If there is something going on, it's better to find out now so you can help it.
    I hope your kitty turns out o.k.
    Claudia
    P.S. Have you tried food for sensitive cat's? Sometimes as they age they can't digest the same type of food. Maybe a senior or sensitive stomach formula.
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

lost weight and stopped eating. I gave him vitamins and took him to the vet. He had a low white count, down to 1,000. He did gain some but within 9 months he was just dead, suddenly. We never knew what happened to him. He was only 9 years old too, but was inside/outside cat.

My other cat, Biscuit is 11 and she is doing really well. She has the house call vet come here once a year. She is inside only.

I hope you can get your cat to the vet. Biscuit likes the Science Diet Senior food and the canned Fancy Feast.

I found out one main reason my cat was vomiting was the cleaning woman was using Mr. Clean to clean our vinyl floors and would flood them. I had her stop doing the floors and I do them now and no more vomiting unless she has a hairball. I think a lot of the floor cleaners are toxic to animals.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

Hi:>) thanks for posting! My mom had mentioned trying a new cat food for sensitive kitties, and I had wondered if her tummy might be more sensitive now vs. when she was younger - but like you said - she is not too old yet. My mom and dad's kitty was 16 when she lost a bunch of weight and then within a year, she had to be put down, they found out she had real bad cancer in her lungs, she had turned blue in the face/tongue/mouth area X-mas morning, and then was put down just four days later after the tests came back. She was suffering by that time pretty bad. So, yes, I def. want to look into Tabby losing weight to take care of anything that might be possibly going on, to prolong her life if there is something serious starting. I just dread the vet bill though if they do blood work. Have had alot of medical bills here lately, and the husband is not too fond of the cat and vice versa :>) so he is not too keen on a vet bill, but, I think it is neccessary and needed and we will survive the bill! I just have to get better so I can physically get her down to the vet! thanks again! LOL Carla
  5. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

Hello! :>) thanks for your post! I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Elliott. My mom and dad recently had to put their 17yr old female cat down and we were all so close to her (Beauty was her name). X-mas am they found Beauty had turned blue in her face/tongue/mouth area, and after running tests they found out she had real bad lung cancer. They put a tube in her lungs, but by Thursday she was in respiratory distress again, so they had her put to sleep that day. She had lost weight suddenly about a year before, so I have been watching Tabby very closely to see if she has ANY other signs of sickness you know. Really, just the throwing up is the only other visible sign, and that has improved drastically. I think she has some arthritis, her little back paws and legs are real sensitive to the touch, and her back too. Tabby is an inside kitty only, and hasn't seen the vet in probably 4 years, so she is due for a checkup! :>) You know, I had heard stories of pets dying from that very thing - the cleaners used on floors. I used to use scented powder on the carpet, but do not anymore, and I steer away from the Swiffer products, I had been told that they are toxic to animals. Tabby likes the fancy feast too! In fact, she is spoiled on it ! Won't touch any other canned food! :>) LOL Carla
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Carla,
    What I'm going to do is to dump out the Swiffer liquid in the bottle on the Swiffer Jet and use a little vinegar and water to clean the floors. There is no need for all these chemicals.

Biscuit has done so much better since Gale stopped using that awful Mr. Clean.

When Gale would come upstairs to clean, Biscuit would go downstairs and that is when she would be on the floor in the kitchen walking in the flood of Mr. Clean. Then probably licked her paws and got sick.

I'd really rather have a not so clean floor than to have it affect Biscuit like that.

I hope your Tabby will be okay. :)

Hugs,
    Faye =^,,^= n <:3 )~~ (cat n mouse--lol)

7. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I hope that you read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Gussy boy ( male dachshund ) was doing almost the exact same thing you have mentioned here and it was DIABETES!!!!!!!!

He lost weight, and threw up......and obviously became weak...................finally it got so bad I didn't think he was going to make it through the weekend ..........he also seemed to have some difficulty seeing............

I started doing research on the net and realized that he in all likely hood had diabetes!

We took him to the emergency vet and sure as can be he had diabetes!!!!!!!!!!

It is VERY common in older animals cats more so than dogs............so my vet says?!

If I were you I would consider taking him to the vet asap and having them check for diabetes.................we give my Gussy boy one insulin shot every 12 hours and he is doing GREAT! He has lost most of his sight but we don't care at all we just love him all the more!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE let me know how your baby is ok?!

Love
    Doxy
  8. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

My guy has developed a thyroid problem. Was still active and eating but was losing weight. Worth checking out the nasties first!
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

THYROID MEDS AND ACE INHIBITOR ANDN KD FOOD FOR MY 13 YEAR OLD KITTY.

I JUST POSTED ON ANOTHER THREAD THAT MY VET-WE ARE RIGHT NEAR CORNELL VET SCHOOL ONE OF THE WORLD'S BEST- SAID THEY VIEW CATS OVER 12 AS NEEDING A NARROWER RANGE FOR THYOID AND KIDNEY TESTS.

THERE IS A GREAT SITE RE CAT KIDNEY DISEASE I WAS READING UP ON.

IT SEEMS THAT OUR CATS NEED LESS PROTEIN BUT IN A HIGHER QUALITY FORM AND ALSO VERY LOW SALT AND MOST IMPORTANT PHOSPEROUS CAT FOOD.

ALMOST ALL OLDER CATS HAVE LOST OVER 50% OF KIDNEY FUNCTION AND THIS IS NO BIG DEAL SO LONG AS WE RECOGNISE IT AND TREAT AS OTHERWISE THE KIDNEYS WILL JUST GET RAPIDLY WORSE AND DEATH WITHIN A YEAR OR SO, OR WE CAN HELP MAINTAIN THE FUNCTION. ACE INHIBITOR HELPS DO THIS AND IT IS QUITE CHEAP.

THERE ARE SEVERAL COMMERCIAL BRANDS THAT YOU CAN WORK WITH YOUR VET TO CHECK THE INGREDIENT LEVELS AS IT TAKES A VET SCIENCE TO UNDERSTAND THE MOISTURE CONTENT RATIO TO OTHER INGREDIENTS. OTHERWISE IT IS PRESCRIPTION WHICH MOST CATS WON'T EAT.

YOU COULD HAVE BEEN DESCRIBING MY KITTY IN DESCRIBING YOURS.

MY VET, WHO IS SUPERB, RECOMMENDS HALF DOSE THYROID MEDS FOR BODERLINE TO KEEP IT IN CHECK.

LOOK FOR CRF (chronic renal failure) on google for the wonderful site, you will know it when you see it.

Best wishes

Anne Cromwell
  10. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i suppose it could be any of the things mentioned, but i wanted to add pancreatitis to the list. we have a younger cat (5 years) with pancreatitis. the first noticeable sign was weight loss. could also cause vomiting and/or diarrhea. it's diagnosed via a blood test that checks enzyme levels. we've been feeding her chicken baby food and she seems to be healing.

eddie
  11. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Carla .. we just went through having our 7 year old cat to the vets amonth or so ago .. vomiting bile like substance .. well about $800 later they could not find anything wrong with her .. we all went through some real nail biting times with this .. her diet is switched to a gastric sensitive plus a fiber food to make it a bit more interesting .. my older one, 13/14 years old doesn't seem to mind eating it either .. they are both strictly indoor cats .. I'm sorry but I just can't see letting a cat out doors with all that can happen to them ..

I hope you little one feels better soon !
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

my 18 year old is going through the exact same thing.

Had her at vets two weeks ago and he just said to give her smaller amounts of food at a time, which seems to have helped.

I'm thinking of taking her back because I dont want her to be in pain.

My brother took his sick cat to vet last year and it was obvious she was dying and they charged him $300 to bring a dead cat home.

Let me know how you get on.

love
    Rosie
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Carla,
    My cat, "Wildthing", is now over 13 years old. A few years ago he lost weight and his coat bagan to look kind of "scrungy". I took him to the Dr. and he had thyroid problems. He's on meds now and looks fine. His coat is soft and luxurious, and he's also back to his normal tendency to gain weight, so he's on a little diet.

I suggest that a visit to the vet is in order. I'm glad I too my kitty.

Good luck.
    Terry
  14. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

Thankyou so very much for all of the informative posts everyone. :>) I have printed out the posts so I can jot down a few notes before taking her to the vet TODAY. My pain medicine is working well enough today that I am confident I can lift her in her little hut in and out of the vehicle ok. I go at 4p.m. I am so nervous - she is like my little baby, you know! So many different possiblilties, and I am just hoping that whatever it is, that it is not too late to treat it effectively. I meant to mention in my previous post that she also gets these little scabs in the corners of her eyes that I have to pull out every other day or so. I just wonder what causes that? Are her eyes draining some kind of fluid? The scabs don't get very big, but they are noticeable. And Tabby's fur coat to me has looked a little duller than normal. I told Tabby a few minutes ago that we were going to take a trip after a little while to go see the kitty doctor!! . . . she jumped out of her hut and ran off! - just like she understood what I said and was rebelling! hee hee :>) LOL Carla
  15. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am so sorry that your kitty is sick! I am glad that you are taking her to vet. I know that as they age they have problems....so it is best.

Keep us informed!

We care!!!

Mari
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

GOOD LUCK AT THE VETS. SO GLAD YOU ARE GOING. LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT WILL YOU/

ANNE CROM
  17. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...recently took her for her yearly exam & shots, and figured they'd tell me she weighed too MUCH, that I needed to put her on some dietary food with less calories....instead they told me she'd lost a whole pound, which in her case is about 1/10th of her body weight.

My vet was concerned....they did bloodwork & we are awaiting the results. Apparently when an otherwise healthy cat of this age starts to lose weight, they worry about an undetected health problem. So, I'm glad you are getting your cat to your vet & probably will have some tests run....I know it's an expense, but my cat doesn't seem sick either, she eats & drinks well, tears around the house after the other cat, etc......BUT, I decided running tests is worth the expense if we can find out about any medical problems she has in the very early stage rather than letting her lose more weight & get really sick.

My kitties are my babies, too! So I know how hard it is to wonder if something's wrong. Hopefully both our cats are OK! Let me know what you learn at your vet & I will post what my cat's results were when I get them...seems like this is pretty common from your post responses.

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2006]
  18. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

Well, Tabby saw the vet today, and the dr. showed alot of

concern over how much weight Tabby has lost in the past

year/year and 1/2. I showed him a pic of her from 4 years

ago, to show him how big she used to be before she started

losing weight. He did a real thorough exam that included

bloodwork. We found out some of the results of the

bloodwork today. And tomorrow the vet is supposed to call

me with the results from the bloodwork that has been sent

off. The vet says that Tabby has a slight infection in her

mouth. He says that it really isn't a big concern - says at

this point he is not for sure what it is from, but that it

might be allergies, because he says that her eye symptoms

are some type of allergen - she has always had sensitive

eyes, and gets allergy symptoms in the spring and fall. He

did a blood glucose test of her blood,CBC, and a Panel.

Says that diabetes has been ruled out, and her white b.

cells are completely normal along with the Panel test. The

bloodwork that comes back tomorrow is to test her organ

functions. The dr. says that from the exam he did, he

really doesn't see anything that jumps out at him as a

warning sign. He says that it is possible that Tabby's

loss of weight is due to her age, and says we will talk

about her diet tomorrow as well to let me know what the

thinks about putting her on a senior diet. He says that

that might actually cause more harm than good, if she is

eating her other food good right now. He says it all

depends on how the bloodwork turns out 2-morrow. I was so

enormously relieved that everything has turned out good so

far. It was so stressful today to watch Tabby go through

the exam that the dr. gave. She is a very anxious kitty

around anyone other than me, and she was so stressed out

during the exam. She hissed and spit, and cried, and they

couldn't keep her held down hardly to get the fur cut off

in the spot that they drew the blood from. It was like

having my own child tortured or s-thing. She really

freaked out badly, but, these tests had to be done, I just

cried on the way home because of the pain/discomfort she

had to go through. But she is just fine now! She is back

to her sweet little self, and seems to have forgotten all

about the mean ole vet that poked and prodded at her ! hee

hee :>) I truly hope all her tests come out ok tomorrow.

I worry a little that she might have kidney disease - she

seems to drink alot of water here lately. The dr. says he

can give her an injection for arthritis, and I am assuming

he will give her s-thing for her slight infection in her

mouth. Please say a little prayer for my baby! :>) Thanks

so much for all the posts! Love, Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2006]
  19. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Carla,
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad that things don't seem too serious for now.

My vet knows that Biscuit is on the Science Diet Senior food. She won't eat much other types of dry food. She also gets 2 - 3oz. cans of Fancy Feast a day too, plus she gets treats. lol

When Biscuit was little she didn't eat well and had to go through blood tests like Tabby did, but she turned out to be fine and just needed vitamins. Took about 2 years to get her to eat cat food. She seemed to be depressed a lot back then.

Hoping for good luck with the rest of the tests. Good thing you took her to the vet. I know it was hard on you. It took all my strength and my husband's to hold Biscuit for the vet when he came here in December and he was just giving her an exam. lol She is stronger than I am. She kept saying "no" and "no." lol

Many prayers for Tabby. Let us know what the final dx is for Tabby.

Hugs,
    Faye
  20. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

T-u for the encouragement and thoughts! After I got home from the vet this afternoon, I had to lay down, the stress of the appt. triggered a migraine for me - just got rid of it about an hour ago. I laid down in the b.room w/ Tabby for a little while on the recliner, and Tabby always knows when I am not feeling well, and she will always come and sleep next to me, if I am on the couch or chair etc. and that is just what she did! She got over her stress real quick, and came to console ME! :>) She is just my sweet little angel from heaven she really and truly is. S-times when I have a migraine, I will be in the bedroom with the door shut and she will hear me moan and she will come and sit by the bedroom door and cry until I get up and let her in, and she will park it right next to me, as if she is watching over me, it is just so precious. I truly believe God put certain animals in this world to comfort us. They give that unconditional love like no other!! :>) LOL Carla