OT My older Sheltie not accepting the new puppy, ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laura81655, Jul 21, 2006.

1. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi, I know there are a lot of experiencd Dog lovers on here. We brought our new puppy home about three weeks ago( pic in profile). I have an 11 year old female Sheltie also. She was raised with an older female dog since puppyhood, but we had to put her down a year ago. So, I thought it would be better for my older Sheltie to have another dog in the home since she was so use to this.

Well, she is not accepting this puppy at all. I have to keep him away from her because I am afraid she will bite him. I am trying to give Mandy extra attention, but she seems very depressed and is not eating well now either.
    Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Laura
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

There are many suggestions for your situation...

Do you feed your older girl first? Greet her first? Praise her first?

All the books even say to go as far as ignoring the puppy for awhile, don't make a big deal out of it etc... (very hard to do in my opinion)

At her age, she may not ever want to have anything to do with the puppy and may be wondering why you've done this to "her" home...it does take time though.

Have you really given them time to get to know each other while completely supervised? She may nip at him, may treat him like the pup he is but some of this is normal behavior.

They'll need to decide the pecking order themselves and most would say that as long as blood isn't being drawn, let them tussel it out and decide who's top dog.

I think some of us have trouble distinguishing normal play behavior from OMG, these dogs are going to kill each other kind of behavior.

We have some really good people here with much better advice than mine, hopefully they'll be posting soon.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi - I think you have good ideas. I would love to have them be together supervised, but Riley's teeth are razor sharp right now. He is only around four lbs and Mandy is about 23 lbs. I would just not want her to seriously hurt him, although she has never been aggressive towards anyone-Shelties are gentle, timid dogs.

I feed the puppy first because he is up at 5 a.m. and Mandy is still sleeping.

I think you may be right and she may never accept him. I have been reading about this on the net.

We try to give her special time without the puppy every day, so it hasn't been that long and hopefully things will improve.
    Thanks again,

Laura
  4. place

place New Member

Hi,

We had two dogs then I lost one recently but got a new puppy.

Both puppies were very hyper (aussy shepherds) and somewhat annoying.

We let them settle their own issues (dominance and tollerence levels), as they would naturally do in any pack.

We did pay greater attention to the older dog, he gets to go on special trips, without the other puppy.

In both cases, the older dogs did not warm up or even tollerate the puppy until after 6 mts.

My first dog (that past away), took him a year since he was used to being the only dog in the show!

We never encurraged negative behavior from the older dog like growling, but if it was warrented, say puppy decided to use his leg as a chewy toy, we did not scold him for that.

Good luck, they will work it out in no time.

[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2006]
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Time, patience, supervision. Sometimes an older dog will take longer to accept this stranger who has moved in. Some never will.

We got Rey, my golden, when he was 8 weeks old and Aster, my lab, was not a happy girl. Aster was seven and had been an only dog all her life.

Supervised play was all they got for the first couple months. I keep puppies on a drag line (about a 4 foot nylon leash, yes, they chew on it!) so that I can control the puppy better.

When Aster had had enough or Rey got too fiesty I popped the leash and said "leave it". We use "leave it" anytime there is something we want them to just leave alone. It can be food we drop, meds that hit the floor, even people who visit. By-the-way, most people don't like it when you refer to them as "it"!

Rey would go lay down beside Aster and she would get up and move. I think it helped that she was loose in the bedroom at night and loose in the house when we were gone while Rey was in the crate.

I also took Rey to work with me which gave Aster some down time and my DH took her in the truck more often.

It did take quite a while. Aster put Rey in his place often. My DH kept telling Aster "get him in line now, he's gonna be bigger than you!" And he is. But Aster is the top dog and Rey is much more submissive.

Aster is so much the "top dog" that she will lift her leg to pee (it's a dominance thing) and Rey only squats.

What Caesar says is "exercise, discipline, affection".

Patience, dear, you can do it!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Good to know that things will most likely get better, just six months down the line !!

So funny - "Leave it" that is one that I have heard used.
    I will watch the "Dog Whisperer" more often now too :)

Laura
  7. rigby

rigby New Member

I have a sheltie that is about 10 she does not really like other dogs or cats she will tolerate them after a while. She has had to learn to tolerate a new puppy that showed up at my house and two kittens my grandkids brought me they find. But she will never have much to do with them and they now understand her growl so very one here is doing alright. Sharon