OT my passion is gardening

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I put a new photo in my profile to show anyone who is interested what my passion it. I live in the country and before I got really ill my passion was gardening.

My husband build beautiful rock walls out of the rocks on the property as we landscaped. I love flowers but I like things to look wild and natural so my passion is native flowers and ground covers.

I hauled all the soil in by hand and planted all the flowers. This flower bed has been established for years and as you can see looks pretty wild. This was taken June with my new digital camera. June is the best month for flowers here as there is lots of rainfall.

I would love to see photos of other peoples passions!

hugs Redwillow
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

That's so beautiful, thank you for posting it Redwilow. Gardening is your talent as well as your passion.

I love gardening too, but can only do a bit at a time sitting on a low stool - no digging etc. My new garden's flowerbeds are mainly in the shade of trees, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what will thrive there - especialy spring bulbs.
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Smiffy

I can't do much gardening anymore either. Bending over to pull weeds causes a pain in my lower back and stomach bad enough to send me to bed!

This is why my husband made me these rock walls to garden from but even that is really hard on me now.

If I was well that is where I would be though, out in the garden shovel in hand digging my little heart out! There is something about my hands in the dirt, the sun on my back and the birds singing in the trees that makes me heart happy.

Oh as for gardening in the shade there are lots of plants that require or tolerate shade. Hostas, bleeding hearts... you could buy a book or do some research on the internet about the climate where you live and what is best for shady areas! Happy gardening!

hugs Redwillow
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2006]
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

I love the look of a wild garden. The rock walls in your garden add a lot to its overall charm.

The back yard of the house we just bought looks a lot like your garden, sort of like a wild flower garden.

We are finally living in a place where it is easier to grow plants outdoors, so I hope to be able to spend more time in our garden, pruning back some of the jade plant, which is taking over the place, maybe move some plants, add some plants, just play and enjoy it!

The yard has lots of places under plants and behind them, for our little dog to explore and run through and around. She will love it!

There are huge juniper plants in the front yard, which we plan to have torn out. I think a rock and succulent garden would be lovely there, but my spouse thinks a lawn would be better. We'll see, maybe do both!

Makes me smile just to think about being able to garden again, on days I feel up to it. On other days I will be able to just sit and enjoy.

Peace,
    Beth.

5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I love to garden too. I'll have to see if I have any pictures to put in my profile. Your's is gorgeous with the rock wall.

When me moved here 5 years ago there was hardly anything planted. There was one tree along the fence line, a couple of dogwoods near the house and some apple trees waaaaay out in what is now our pasture.

I moved the apple trees closer to the house and bought a plum to go with them, put in raspberries, a vegetable garden with an asparagus patch and strawberries. The summer before I got sick I put in some blueberries too but they died the next summer while I was in the hospital.

We also put in more trees, some of them saplings from our woods. Altogether I think we planted 50 trees and shrubs.
    And then there are my flowers. I love perennials! I used to buy plants like other women buy shoes.

Now I just try to keep the weeds at bay. Darwinism is alive and well in my flower beds-only the strong survive. But right now the fairy roses and asters are in bloom. I always say my favorite flower is whatever is blooming.

I've gone on a long time so I guess you can tell I'm passionate about gardening too.

I'm curious what native plants you use up there in Canada.
    Is the silver plant artemesia? What's the spiky purple bloom in front of the yellow lillies?

Shar
  6. jole

jole Member

Hi all! I can soooo relate to you guys. Gardening is my very most favorite, and most missed thing in the world. That and refinishing old furniture. Unfortunately, now that I actually have the time to do it, it's a near impossibility.

I too love the wildflower look, and had actually planted lots of wildflowers in the front of our house a few years back. they are so dainty looking, yet so hardy. Redwillow, yours are beautiful with the rocks. Oh, I especially enjoy sharing my love for flowers with my grandchildren, and letting them pick blooms for their mothers.

Friends - Jole
  7. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Shar

I am like you, I am just trying to keep the weeds from taking over. I love your comment about "Darwinism is alive and well in my flower beds-only the strong survive."

Lets see the silver plant is a ground cover called "snow in summer" it really takes over. The purple spike you are seeing in front of the yellow lilies is a light purple iris.

What grows wild here in my little patch of Ontario is anything that can survive dry, gravelly soil. Irises, lilies, daylilies, blackeyed susans and many kinds daisies grow wild here. So anything that is in that family does really well.

I have a lot of daisy like flowers... heliopsis, galardia, shasta daisies, perennial geraniums, tiger lilies.

I also have a large natural pond on our property so there are a lot of flowers that like wetter feet like Purple flags.

Since I live in Ontario Canada from October until June we are either under snow or the ground is frozen. So I have to get my gardening while I can.

hugs Redwillow

8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I love the natural gardening to but I do not have your talent.I also love big Rocks in the garden .All Gods Gifts :)
  9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I would have to say that gardening is my all-time favorite hobby. There are lots of gardeners on both sides of my family. My aunt had the most beautiful yard-looked like it could be in a magazine. I remember watching my grandma work in her garden-lots of pleasant memories. I am 47 years old and I still have a plant in my garden that a friend gave me when we were both 17! It's called Ohio Spiderwort (I know, ugly name). I still see this friend and she can't believe this plant is still alive! It has spread a lot over the years and I have given away my extras. It has small purple flowers and blooms in May and June here in Michigan. There is a road near my house where I see it growing wild. After it is done blooming, I cut it down and sometimes it will bloom a little again.

I have to confess that sometimes I overdo it and pay the next few days with sore arms, shoulders and hands. I have both flower and vegetable gardens. My husband does the heavy-duty jobs and last fall he dug all the holes for me when I was planting tulips and daffodils. Gardening for me is a form of art. I love trying new combinations of plants and am always pouring over the catalogs-I love to see new plants.

Does anyone here get the Birds and Blooms magazine? They had some gardening equipment advertised you could order. It wasn't very expensive-I think less than $25.00. I ordered it not too long ago and so far I really like it. It's hard to explain, but it's like a metal brace you put on your arm and you can attach different tools to the end-a trowel, small saw, a claw (think that's what it's called). It keeps your arm straight and makes it easier to garden without straining yourself as much. The brace is adjustable.

Ellen
  10. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thank you for the advice Redwillow; I have some hostas in pots that could be split & planted in the shade, & have put some hellibores & pulmonaria in. Here in the UK we're certainly not subject to the cold weather you have in Canada!

Wouldn't it be lovely to be well enough to really get to grips with our gardens?
  11. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Redwillow ! Helllloooooo from Kingston .. I also have a passion for gardening ... and sadly this is the first year I have had such a hard time keeping up with it .. but I will crawl out on my hands and knees to admire the little beauties I have come to love so much !

I agree with the native plants very much .. I have 2 Joe Pye .. 2 Black Cohosh ( I can't begin to remember how to spell their correct botonical names but know them )ornamental grasses have been a wonderful surprise to me .. Karley Rose fountain grass is spectacular this year .. Karl Forester, wrong spelling but I think you know which one I mean .. so neat and graceful and well behaved .. Blue Fescue, Huron Sunrise, Hamelin fountain grass ..
    I love their tenacity and easy care .. coneflowers a plenty .. Echinaceas to Rudbeckias, as many as I can squeeze in .. native ferns .. clematis, Virgin's Bower has been amazing to watch since it is native too.

I think you get the picture .. I am a GARDEN NUT ! .. hyssops .. anise, Golden Jubilee .. most everything I have is a magnet for bees, butterflies and birds .. we feed Niger seed to the Goldfinches .. birdbath ... rocks for sunning themselves on .. trees .. I have crammed as much as I can in our small gardens and loved every single plant .. but .. with experience I have learned as with the "Darwinisim" only the strong and the ones I am smitten with STAY ! .. no room to waste ! haha

In any case .. I just wanted to add to the collective on the joys of gardening .. it fills a wonderful space in my soul that I find so satisfying it is hard to describe.

Old gardeners never die .. they "drop seed" and bloom again.
    Joy : )
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2006]
  12. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks for the replies to my gardening thread.

Yes Fudge43 I can tell you have the gardening bug. Too bad you don't like a little closer, we could trade plants.

I am about 2 hours drive away from Kingston. I occasionally come there to visit Costco and my rheumatologist is at Kingston hospital.

Ellencomstock: I love the Birds and Blooms magazine though I don't have a subscription.

My Mom has a wall hanging that says "old gardeners never die, they just go to seed!"

hugs Redwillow

13. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Redwillow ... I have to ask out of immense curiosity who is your Rheumy ? .. I used to see a Dr. Broulliard, but it was a total waste of time ..
    Could you tell me who you see ? I would really appreciate it !
    AND YES ! .. too bad you aren't closer .. it would be wonderful to have another garden nut here .. my girlfriends are not into gardening .. sigh !
    Thanks !
    Joy : )
  14. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I love creating gardens as well..we just moved in April..and I left 17 years of gardening and moved to a house that only has some basic shrub and flower beds around the perimeter of the house. UGH. So we are starting from scratch..again! We have big plans...but with Dh doing most of the work ...I have a feeling it could take another 17 years till I have beautiful gardens to walk thru again!
    I miss the days of working in the yard all day long..now I am lucky if I last 10 minutes at a time...and THRILLED if I work for 30minutes!