OT MYTHS ABOUT PORK BEING BAD FOR YOU vs. the truth about pigs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jeanne-in-Canada, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

FORGET WHAT YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT EATING PORK

Pretty much everyone has heard the wives tales about eating pork. Its the worst meat to eat, pigs are dirty animals, its because they will eat absolutely anything, the meat is too full of bacteria because of what they eat...Blah blah blah, mostly untrue - pretty much the opposite

I was chatting w/ my ex-dairy farmer neighbour and though they never rasied pigs, they have friends that do. They'd save compost to feed them because their kids thought it was a big event to feed the piggies. So here's what I learned:

Myth #1 - pigs are filthy animals
    -- pigs are in fact cleaner than dogs and more like cats. They will not live where they poop, at all. Part of their pen gets pooped in and the other part is clean and straw lined, and that's where they live, the clean part. so forget what you see on tv, the media loves to perpetuate myths.

Myth #2 - pigs will eat absolutely anything
    -- pigs are strict herbivores and will not eat meat or byproducts, whatsoever. They will turn their snouts up at compost that has even a bit of meat scraps thrown in. They will refuse to eat processed feed w/ rendered animals. It's about the only thing they won't eat, but they are unmovable about it. They will eat any vegetal byproduct though. Compost w/ rinds, citrus peels, tea bags, all good. Just because we can't eat this stuff doesn't mean it isn't healthy, we all know the densest nutrients are found in or just under the skin or rind. They will eat fairly decomposed compost stuff, but, thier bodies are designed for it. Just like we can eat sour cream, yogurt, soy sauce, sour dough, and get our B 12 (the only sources if you are vegetarian is from fermentation) they are designed to eat what they eat, since they have a much hardier digestive tract and stronger/larger liver.

There meat is full of bacteria and must not be eaten raw or undercooked. But that's fine by me. Pork is not as toxic as hamburger or poultry. So next time you want to snarf down a pork chop and think you shouldn't, think again, enjoy guilt free. I always have, because I knew my body told me it was energizing. I din't know why, since I'd heard the myths too, but I knew there had to be something else to the picture, and there is.

Jeanne
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2006]
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Of course all this is true. BUT where the problem lies is in the hog farm industry that is gross and negligent and causes these lovely animales great harm. Read That Old Ace in the Hole and get a gooid read plus info on modern hog farms. It is terrible-those poor pigs lose all their skin, this is why you never see "crackling" on any but organically or humanely raised pork any more.

Animals and fowl kept in humane conditions, the way nature (and God) intended are clean and healthy. Unfortunately as you know, 98% of meat protein available in markets is neither raised nor slaughtered properly these days.

Love Anne Cromwell
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

eat everything, both plants and other animals. The most well-known omnivores are people, bears and pigs.

Also raccoons, possums, foxes, some fish, like sharks, and some birds, like gulls.

I once heard a trash can bang during the night and found a raccoon had unscrewed a jar lid and was enjoying some macaroni salad.

4. rmc20021

rmc20021 New Member

We just bought two pot-bellied pigs and even though I will not keep them inside, they are wonderful pets. They are kept clean and their pen is cleaned daily.

I don't know how they compare to regular pigs, but I do know they use the bathroom in the same water they drink...not that that would have anything to do with edibility of a pig...not ours of course.
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Although I am a huge animal lover, I love meat, including steak and pork.

My most exotic eats were a soy-sauce stir-fried grasshopper, which tasted like hay dipped in soy sauce, and snails which taste like slightly chewy roast beef.

I do try to buy cage free and free range meat - I just think it's more humane. It's like bow hunting vs. hunting with a gun, at least the animals have a chance.

I love pork. Pork tenderloin (yes, yes, I know exactly which part of piggie that comes from) is the best in balsamic vinagrette w/ basil and arugula rice pilaf (thank you Rachel Ray).

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

Last time I ate fish, it had a huge worm in it. And yes, I only found half of it. Bleeech. I've never found worms in my beef or pork.

6. Jeanne-in-Canada

but I was just reading up on Cdn. farming and pigs are indeed omnivores. I'm not sure why our neighbours pigs won't eat any meat.

jeanne[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2006]
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

8. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

We used to raise pigs when I was a kid "back on the ranch" and they will not only eat meat they will kill other animals (even other pigs) and eat the meat.
    They require a high protien diet and their digestive system is the most identical to mans of any other animal except some of the primates.
    That said, I love pork chops (and pork roast and HAM and bacon - everything but the grunt!) Of course I am about 95% vegetarian now so don't indulge. :-(

Honora, LOL at your neigbor comment! I've had a few like that too!

Gretchen
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

As reflecting back to many physical problems and intolerance too foods growing up, I remember distinctively that the only meat my mother got me to eat was pork. She says that kids eat intuitively in most cases if you allow selections of healthy foods.She said I did this.

Also, a funny sidekick: Swedes are huge animal rights people, the farms and how the animals are treated is a number one issue, and there are no hormones or unessecary shots given them while alive. They come in to the farm house every day, and got music and tv! Each farmer have a limited amount of animals, they pretty much live an old fashioned farm life!

I think it's possible because of government support of the practice for healthy foods, as well as the size of the country. Our expectations on imported products are so high we have VERY few imports because they rarely pass inspection.

We're so silly with animals that there are actual animal crossings for frogs! There are many ponds and they tend to wander between them. If you pass that crossing at the same time as froggie family, you're in for a huge ticket! LOL, LOL!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2006]
  10. jenunsa

jenunsa New Member

I love pigs so much, I refuse to eat them.
    The same goes for all animals.
    Consider vegetarianism...
  11. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I found this thread interesting and VERY humorous ! Thanks !
    PS .. I have a few neighbors in the 'hood that qualify too ! hahaha
  12. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

You guys go and visit the farm, count on the delay by the froggie- crossing,,,LOL! Well, I don't know if humour is in order here, but it is easier if you know a piggie died with a smile on his face, or at least put to sleep before slaughter.

Anyways, why not build a raft and paddle over there? I can't afford to go back (tickets), and I really want to go soon. I feel like in a catch 22 right now, and when I do, I need to eat some sandwich- caviar and burn-in-your-mouth lagered cheeze ,,,,from back home,,,LOL!

Gigi, Germany is a wonderful place! Aren't things almost the same over there? Just curious.
  13. reckabek

reckabek New Member

pork will be in my belly rotting for weeks, it idnt digestable to me, and most people i beleive, the pig does not sweat so it has no way of excreting toxins. for me i will pass, most meat affects me simular, but expecially pork and then beek, on down the line...i smell like death when i tootie...i'll pass on the meat, specially this one...

but hey what ever your heart diseires...this is just my personal opinion!!!! beck
  14. reckabek

reckabek New Member

sorry guys and gals about my spelling, BRAINFOG??? lack o' seeing the keyboard correctly :) beck
  15. Bambi

Bambi New Member

bible Old Testament saying not to eat anything with cloven hooves? Of course that ban was lifted.

I LOVE pork and won't eat anything but that and chicken and turkey at the moment. Never heard of mad pork disease yet..though there is a study out that says FM/CFS in some may come from a swine virus. Wish I had the article, though I pretty much ignored it. Should be available somewhere online.

I have seen pigs in clean surroundings stand behind each other awaiting a snack in the predigested form..so yes,they will eat some things that we humans would find pretty bad. But once things are digested (sometimes again?) it isn't in the meat in true form, except maybe hormones and antibiotics etc they are given.

All things in moderation I guess and
    yet, if I could get my hands on a REAL southern sugar cured (mostly salt and pepper on the rind during
    curing)..ham I'd make short order of the whole ham. My daddy would always order one from back home at Christmas for the family and then for me when I left home. Red eyed gravey to us was
    the grease and little pieces left behind a fried thin piece of ham with canned milk, salt and pepper added and then brought to a medium boil. Oh my I'm about to drool on myself! LOL!

Deny yourself nothing unless you are allergic as some have said they are..I am VERY happy I'm not. I think I'll start searching out my address for a Christmas ham here today in fact! Happy snorting to all that can and want to have some ham! LOL! Bambi
  16. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

There's a company called Beeler's in Iowa that raises natural pork with no antibiotics, vaccines or hormones. If a pig does get sick and needs antibiotics it gets sold on the commercial market and won't have their label.

It is the best tasting pork in the world, especially their maple breakfast sausage and bacon. They also have ham, pork chops and weiners. We buy ours at a discount health food store but you could probably get it at a co-op. Unfortunately the major chain health food stores tend to mark it way up. We pay about the same as the grocery store pork. I don't know if they ship, but you can google their products (Beeler's Natural Pork Products) and ask them.

Jan
  17. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

They believe that we should go back to the diet God gave us before the flood. After the flood, ma's life span decreased at an alarming rate...due to the fact that God now allowed man to eat...and cook...meat. Here is what I found. Turns out Stormyskye was right!

"First, there is no question that God's Original Diet for mankind was completely vegetarian as clearly set forth in Genesis 1:29! That man ate his food raw for an extended period of time after creation would be a natural conclusion. And thus, the consuming of vegetarian food in a natural raw state had to be God's original plan for man. If we look at the rest of the animal kingdom that God also created, apart from man, even to this present day, the animals in the wild still consume their food in the natural raw state as served up by nature. This is how God designed His animal kingdom, including man, to be nourished. Even the flesh-eating animals, to this present day, still consume their food in a natural raw state.

When man started to cook his food is up for speculation. I personally do not believe man started to cook his food until after the flood, which would be at the same time man started to eat meat. Why did God add meat to man's diet in Genesis 9:3, after He had clearly created an anatomy designed to be vegetarian and told man he was to eat only a vegetarian diet in Genesis 1:29?This is also open to speculation. Was it because all vegetation had been destroyed by the flood and man had nothing else to eat or is there possibly another reason? My personal belief is that man was living too long, getting into too much trouble, and thus God used the consuming of flesh to shorten man's lifespan.

To support this speculation I offer the following - It is interesting to note that God originally created man to live forever (Genesis 3:22) and on this raw vegetarian diet, man lived an average of 912 years prior to the flood without a single recorded instance of sickness. Yet, in Genesis 6:3, God said He was going to shorten man's life span to 120 years. How was God going to accomplish this? If you look at the dramatic consequences the addition of meat had on the human race in the book of Genesis, it certainly causes one to do some serious thinking! Because, after meat was added to the diet, man's life span rapidly started to decline from an average of 912 years on the raw vegetarian diet prior to the flood, to 100 years by the time you reach the end of the Book of Genesis on the meat-based, cooked food diet. This rapid decrease in man's life span took place in just ten short generations after meat was added to the diet.

Then when we look at the anatomy of man, we find verification that man, indeed, was designed by God to sustain life on vegetarian fare. Man does not have the teeth to rip and tear flesh as do the carnivores (meat eating animals).Man does not possess the high hydrochloric acid in his stomach, which is necessary to break down and digest the flesh. Nor does man have a short digestive tract as do flesh eating animals. Rather, man has a very long digestive tract with many pockets and loops and bends. Because of this long digestive tract, when meat is consumed, it putrefies. This is the cause of almost all body odor. When a person adapts a vegetarian diet, usually body odor will just disappear. Also, when a person stops consuming animal products it eliminates almost any fear of ever having colon problems -- including colon cancer, diverticulitis, colitis, etc.

In fact, the consuming of cooked flesh can be traced to the cause of, or at least a contributing cause of, approximately 90% of all physical problems being experienced by man today! My research reveals that the consumption of cooked flesh along with cooked dairy (pasteurized milk) are among the most dangerous substances we can put into our bodies! For example, by simply eliminating animal products from our diet, we can reduce our chances of ever having a heart attack or stroke by over 96%. When people leave the cooked flesh based diet and change to a basically raw vegetarian diet, we see well over 90% of all physical problems just disappear in six months or less."

18. Jeanne-in-Canada

I read it, and it really is something. Very thought provoking. The thing about using oil based fertilizers for crops is, it doesn't have to be that way. He pointed out that manure and other natural compost is the natural way, but is inconvenient to modern agriculture, more from habit, certainly not that it's a better way. There is also rock dust, mineral rich and we will never run out of rocks. But again, this is not the modern habit.

I love the way he waxes poetic at the end, and also the way he somewhat equalizes the vegetarians and the meat eaters as sustainable in the long term.

Jeanne
  19. Jeanne-in-Canada

I'm sure it is appealing to vegetarians, but this isn't a thread about vegetarianism. We are asked in the rules to try and stay on topic to make searches for info more practical. Perhaps your article belongs in a thread about vegetarianism.

jeanne
  20. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I liked what unicornk had to offer in this conversation. It fits in this thread perfect.