OT: Need advise for new Doctor appointment tomorrow

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendy5, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Tomorrow I will be seeing my new PCP for the first time and his staff informed me that he treats a few fibro sufferers.

I am a little nervous and hate having to start all over but I don't have a choice.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should ask or any articles that would be helpful.

I am really praying that he will listen and want to help because I am just give out.

Thanks for any replies.

Love & Hugs!
    Carolin
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2006]
  2. Suzan

Suzan New Member

We recently moved to a new state..and I went to one..that didn't work out..so now have re-started with a 2nd. I did take a written history of when I got the first dx...who I have seen..and what they said about my illness to me.

I also took a pain chart..and highlighted all the areas that I have pain. I also noted any other symptoms that I was dealing with. And a history of my medications that I have used for this illness so far. I also took all my current meds in thier bottles so he could easily see doses etc.

I find the main thing I do is to talk as honestly as I can about what is going on with me. Lucky for me ..so far this new GP seems to be interested in working with me...He didn't try to push meds on me..he suggested one or two that he thought may be worth trying..and said since I wasn't totally comfortable..that I should go home and read up on them and we would talk about them again in 3 months.

My best advice is never keep seeing a doctor who you are uncomfortable with...it just isn't worth it!

Good luck!

3. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

If you have heard that he has other patients with fm that that can surely only benefit you..he probably has found a way that has helped his other patients..or even the fact that he has the patience to deal with this dd...I saw my new gp today and he said drs find it hard to treat diseases like this as they feel like there is nothing they can do...and I said the fact that you acknowledge that it is an illness alone is so great to me..to be believed is key to a succesful dr patient relationship..I really hope he can support you ant find a way to treat you that will improve your life...if he doesnt then you have to keep going until you find the right person becasue they are out there..good luck
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

Best of luck with your new physician. Hayley gives great advice and remember not a lot happen with the first appointment you are both getting to know each other -- as it were.

Every one had great points -- so I will add mine.

I have made the mistake of dismissing a physician too quickly due to my impatience.

Once I'd calmed and listen to my inner voice of reason I found that I was too hasty in my conclusion and gave the physician another shot.

Turns out he/she was an excellent physician after all -- I was a bad patient. Yes there is such a thing :)

Take care,

Karen :)
  5. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi - I am sorry it took so long for me to respond back. All of my days seems to be so busy from the time I wake until time to lay down at night.

suzan - I agree I should be completely honest and share all what has worked for me in the past. I just hope that he will not want to be to fast to stop or change what has worked for me but rather add something to it gradually.

chloeuk - I am hoping that since he is currently treating others he will be compassionate, but it's that small percentage of the one's that keep me walking on egg shells.
    I read your post and I'm so glad you found a good Doctor. It really makes a difference.

hayleycole - Thank You so much for your help! I am making notes about what to ask and I'm going to inquire about Mirapex. I am not to knowledgeable though about trigger point massage but sounds like I would benefit from it. I totally agree about the pain meds as well and so many doctors are extremely hesistant to prescribe for fear some don't want to better themselves rather just cover the pain. I really enjoy reading your post and thanks for the helpful hint about articles I've printed ;)

kjfms - You are right on! Hayley is a book of information but so are you. I must admit that my patience isn't the best.....hehe, but this appointment is really important and I need to ask questions but let him be the doctor.

Wish me luck and I will let you all know how it goes when I return. I really do appreciate all of you helping me.

Love & Hugs!
    Carolin
  6. b~kay~b

b~kay~b New Member

New docs man i hate that i went through 3 neaurologists one chiropractor 2 family docs one neaurosurgeon and one rheumatologist not to mention the psychiatrist and one or two nurse practioners and a partridge in a pear tree lol. i hate starting all over because it seems overwhelming to spill every symptom out so i typed it out i saved it and print one out to take one with me and i just tell them i will go down the list if you want or i can hand it to you and i also have a printed page of how it started to read for myself that way i dont forget anything and i tell them they can keep it. i also keep journals to let them know how my days are for about a week to a week and a half if i got a lot going on that way they get the jest of it. good luck b~kay
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

carolin:

I would be firm with the doc and let him know all of your symptoms and stress that you have very severe pain (if you do).

Also, I would tell him that you have fibromyalgia. You could let him know your routine and how the pain has
    interupted your typical life (if it has).

Also, I would let him know that you need a strong pain med to get some relief to move around better.

Good luck with your appointment.

nyrofan
  8. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Instead of seeing the Doctor they had me scheduled to see his PA instead. I decided to go with the flow and see how it went.

She said Fibro wasn't around 18 years ago and if it was no one knew what it was. She also said it primarily strikes young females that were suffering from Depression.

I took all my current meds with me but she lowered my dose on my pain med to 4 a day instead of 5. I told her but she said the book said she could only prescribe up to 4 per day.

She was more than happy to prescribe Mirapex .125mg and told me I may need to increase this dose within 2 weeks.

The receptionist is checking into trigger point massage for me and is suppose to call me back.

I am glad she spent a few extra minutes with me but she doesn't seem very concerned with fibro. Little confused what to do from here.

Thank You all for your help.