OT need computer advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, May 9, 2006.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

We don't have a computer at home. I'm always in front of this one at work, and that's all I've needed so far.

If I should happen to be able to retire from work before too long, I will certainlly need a computer at home. I am not a "computer person". I work on one all day, but when it comes to problems with it, I have to leave that up to someone else to fix.

What kind of computer would you suggest? I guess I would need to buy one from someplace that I could call on for help if I need it.

I have never used an Apple computer, but I've heard they are the most problem free?

???

Thanks,

Kinsie
  2. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

there are many here who are but I can give you my opinions. We started with a compaq several years ago.Truble from the first day until last mth when my husband bought me a brand new DEll which I love.

I think the compaq was one of those Monday or Friday computors ( YOu never want something that was made on these days because on Fri. they are ready for the weekend and on Mon. they are getting over the weekend.)

The bigest difference is going from dialup, AOL to high-speed Comcast. I do not know how to act with everything working sooo fast. I love my computor and the fast access.

Good luck

Suzette
  3. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I would definitely recommend buying one of the name brand computers.

My self I prefer Compaq. I have used them for years, in various places of employment. The last place I worked at used them also.

I was responsible for the up keep on these PCs and out of 100 + PCs and laptops we only had 2 that had failed and were repaired under the warranty that came with them.

We also used to get the extended warranties on them and I only had to use that option twice in 3 years.

x systems administrator

Jake
  4. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Thanks for your replies. I'll keep this in mind.

Kinsie
  5. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I have had many different brands, but if you are mostly concerned with ease of use and tech support, I believe that Apple wins hands down (I'm biased, *wink*).

Dell - I have had really good experiences with their tech support and hardware. I've used them in a business setting and owned one personally. As far as price goes, I've seen some pretty excellent deals on their website. A Dell desktop that I bought for myself 6 years ago is now my boyfriend's mom's computer, still going strong.

Apple - I've owned them for over 10 years, and I currently do support for them as well at my job. Honestly if you were to hand me 2 machines to fix, I'd rather fix the Apple. The price will probably be the most expensive on your list. The support covers the Apple hardware, and the operating system (currently "Tiger"), and any apple branded application. The support doesn't' offer how-to questions, however if you live near an Apple store you can get a "pro-care" plan that gives you one-one training classes for about $99 a year.

Regardless of what you buy, I'd be careful of store warranties (like best buy), and go for manufactur warranties (like apple & dells).

Also, every computer company will have products that have components that may fail (why warranties are good). I've been pretty lucky with all my computers, I'm still using my iBook I bought 4 years ago. I was almost hoping it would die so I'd have a good excuse to buy a new Macbook Pro :)
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My Mac is 3 years old and works great. I had to get it because of a cyber stalker who was sending me worms and viruses and trying to hack into my Windows computer and did. I got tired of my son having to reformat the hard drive, so bought a desktop Mac.

I got what I wanted, but it was expensive back then. I would never go back to Windows as a primary computer even though we have one my son made set up in here too.

Apples are just so easy and the Apple Mail is great. Only problem is you can't send mail in color to others. It will arrive black to Windows users.

But you can write in color and with different fonts and sizes. I feel a lot safer on here than on Windows. I do have Norton AV for Macs on here, though.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

my son is replying...out of my reach of
    knowledge::::
    ok, basically i am really into computers so i would say it is not the wisest choice to go with one brand every cpu brand has their own benefits

take apple for instance(i hate macs and apple BTW) simple to use, great interface, unfortunately programs are more complicated to find and of course not every program is made for a mac( with the exception of what this computer will do) macs are great but all the parts in one are manufactured by apple there fore they are much more expensive for manufactureing cost

and for any windows computer more complicated, but more customizable interphase, the standered gamer or tech guru uses these types of computers(I.E. me i love to mod write programs and play games) although support for windows is underated i would say macs do not come with as many problems but windows has more service and suport

overall if you want a simple commputer that does not allow very much compatibility for a higher price GO wITH APPPLE

if ofcourse you want a computer with more custmizable and the ability to upgrade and make the pc better useing storebought interchangeable parts ,or you are just into networking or playing games, fileshareing ect.

i personally suggest that you get a windows seeing as how most of them can be swapped out for diffrent parts on the inside CUSTOMIZING YOUR WINDOWS SYSTEM IS THE BEST CHOICE i suggest getting someone who knows alot about pc's or doing it yourself (it really isn't as hard as you think) the only downfall to most windows systems is that they do not preovide any other chip then intel if i were you get an AMD and a nice graphics card like a radion series chip and buy about 512 ram a ASUS mother board and the rest is your choice and run them all off windows xp

IF POSSIBLe always get hyperthreading what hyperthreading is, is a proxy compter processing unit which allows the processor to function while on standby on the other line
    (basically have two processors but not really having two)and it does not cost very much,,, as of yet i have not heard any sucessful attempts to hyperthread a mac though i could be wrong,

one more last note macs have however, one advantage. the firewall. the firewall in windows is exploited to easily considering it is near impossible to hack on a mac with the shortage of good programs( although dumb hackers can't hack on them most others can) so since it is easy to exploit the windows regualr firewall it is very easy to become infected, although easy to fix too. so the choice is yours that is about all of it i say get windows you can always change your programs and accessories later

P.S. please do not blame jodie as she does not know about this and it is coming from me not her i may check back to see your decision i may not who knows lol... also i have used macs i haven't owned one (refuse to buy it) so it might be upgradable but more then likely with only mac parts
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  8. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I love my apple - but all apple mac people do.

I especially like it because of the unliklihood of contracting viruses on the net.

One hint - buy the same type as people around you so that when things go wrong - and I do say when - or when you cannot sort something out, you can ring up your slightly more knowledgable friends and ask them.