OT: Need good Potato Salad recipe; Also Cole Slaw recipe

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, May 27, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Okay all you great cooks, I need a really good Memorial Day Potato Salad recipe. Something really yummy. Please also be specific about what kind of potatoes you use. Thanks so much!!

Edit to add: Now I need a cole slaw recipe, too!

[This Message was Edited on 05/28/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I chop up a little dill pickle in mine. Or, if you can afford it, you can throw in some capers.
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I did a Homer Simpson when I read your recipe, dncn! Mmmmm, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, yum! I think a little drool even came out of the corner of my mouth! Sounds perfect!

Rockgor, the capers sound like a wonderful addition, too. Gonna have to pass on the dill pickle, though. They are one of those foods that I WISH I liked, but I don't. Darn! My loss, I know! But the capers are in!

Thanks so much for calling your MIL, dncnfngrs! You're awesome!
  4. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I cook up this sauce(I 4X the reciepe) and keep it in the fridge in quart jars and it'll keep for about 1 1/2 months so it's always on hand. I also use this sauce to heat it and pour it over fresh spinach and top with cooked bacon and chopped hard-boiled eggs--really yummy.

SAUCE:

1 cup sugar
    1 Tablespoon flour
    Mix togeather in large pan and add:
    1/2 Cup water
    1/2 cup vinegar

Beat 1 egg and whisk into pan while heating over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring. Add 1 Tablespoon of butter (optional) and boil til about the consistency of gravy.

Pour into pre-heated quart jars and seal to use later, or now on spinach, or pour over 1 lb (about) boiled, peeled and thickly sliced potatoes.

In my potatoe salad I add 1/2 cup mayo to sauce, very thinly sliced celery, finely chopped onions, crumbled cooked bacon (if I have it)chopped hard boiled eggs, sliced raddish, and/or grape tomatoes. Decorate with a big sprig of fresh parsley in the middle and circle that w/sliced hard boiled eggs, then with halved grape tomatoes. Pretty, but really tasty. AND the jars of sauce are always in my fridge for a quick meal in the summer.

Enjoy

Foggygirl

5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

My husband's Aunt Laney always brings her potato salad to the 4thJuly family reunion. I don't know the measurements, but it is really simple and really, really good.

-Russett or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, and boiled until you can pierce with a fork.

-White Onion...chopped very, very finely (optional)

-Hard boiled eggs

-Hellman's Mayo (no substitution for mayo)

-Salt and Pepper to taste

Her secret....blend all the ingredients while the potatoes are slightly warm so that the mayo makes the potato salad nice and creamy.

You can add all kinds of extras to this basic recipe, if you'd like.

Chill 4 hours or overnight.

Lolalee
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

All these recipes sound good! Good hint on mixing the mayo and such while potatoes are still warm.

Now my husband tells me he isn't real crazy about potato salad! Tough, I'm making it anyway! My girls & I will be happy to eat it!

He said he'd rather have COLE SLAW. So, anyone got any good COLE SLAW recipes! He also let me know it has to be the oil & vinegar kind, NOT the mayo-creamy kind. Sheesh! He's usually not picky, so I guess I'll indulge him!
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

5 lbs small red potatoes
    1 lb bacon
    1 to 2 onions
    4-5 hard boiled eggs
    chopped celery
    1-2 cucumbers
    boil potatoes (leave on skins )when done cut up into bite size pieces.
    fry bacon til crispy ,crumble into potatoes.
    cut up celery add.
    cut up onion add.
    cut up eggs add.
    cut up cucumber add
    Put everything in large bowl
    now put in a large bottle of Italian salad dressing Mix together really good.you can eat it hot or put in refrigerator and eat when its cold.
    I like it cold
  8. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

You can make it easier by buying the coursely chopped pre cut cole slaw mix.

We never measure anything either, that's the way my dad taught us to cook and he was almost gourmet skill level but here are the ingredients.

Cole Slaw Mix (Course chopped)
    Mayo (Mix in enough until it is creamy
    Sugar or Splenda (I use 2-3 tablespoons Splenda)
    White Vinegar or Pickle Juice (2 tablespoons should do it)
    Cucumber (Chopped finely)
    Tomato (Chopped finely)
    Salt&Pepper to taste.

This is really yummy. Let it chill for a few hours before you want to eat it. Just do everything to your tastes. Add small amounts of the vinegar and sugar one right after the other until you get it like you like it cause they balance each other out.
  9. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

My mama used 1/3 part vinegar,1/3 part sugar and 1/3 part water stirred together until the sugar melts - use enough to make cabbage moist.

I add salt and pepper. You MUST let this sit in the refrigerator overnight before eating or it tastes raw.

If you want the dressing to cling to the cabbage, be creamy and use it the same day you make it simply add commercial sour cream or mayonaise.
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

You know how sometimes your cole slaw will be watery a few hours or next day after making it...here is a hint.

Shred cabbage and put in a large colander over a bowl. Sprinkle a teaspoon or two of salt over the cabbage and mix. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so. The salt will cause the liquid in the cabbage to leach out. You will see the water in the bowl. Discard this excess water.

Before you use the cabbage in your recipe, be sure to rinse the cabbage well to remove the salt. Place rinsed cabbage in a clean tea towel and squeeze out excess water.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it's not really and it is worth it because you will end up with a nice crispy cole slaw that is not watery.

Lolalee

P.S. I like a combination of green and red cabbage and shredded carrots. I made a batch the other day and added golden raisins...yummy. My recipe has mayo, so your hubby probably won't like it.
  11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Lolalee, I wish I'd read your cole slaw hint an hour ago! I already made it! Hopefully it won't turn out too soupy! Oh well, I'll try your trick next time.

Thank you all for your wonderful recipes! I made the potato salad and the cole slaw and I think they are both going to be awesome (esp the pot salad!). Mmmmm...bacon...
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

If you get Astro yogurt, you might find it again.

It had grated carrot, celery, diced apple and a cup or so of yogurt, among the usual coleslaw ingredients.

Jeanne

[ advertisement ]