OT- Need Help On Some New Food to Fix for Family Reunion!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jul 25, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I have to go to a family reunion on Sunday, August 14th.

Hamburgers and hot dogs will be grilled out.

Everyone always takes the same old things to reunions.

Can anyone help me think of anything different to fix?

PLEASE!!! I certainly would appreciate it.

jlh
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2005]
  2. suemh

suemh New Member

This is great!!

Raspberry Summer Sensation (kraftfoods.com)

1 pt. (2 cups) raspberry sorbet or sherbet
    1 cup cold milk
    1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
    1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
    1 cup raspberries

LINE 9x5-inch loaf pan with foil. Spoon sorbet into pan; freeze 10 minutes.
    POUR milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping. Spread pudding mixture over sorbet in pan.
    FREEZE 3 hours or overnight. To unmold, invert pan onto plate; remove foil. Top with raspberries just before serving. Let stand 10 to 15 min. to soften before cutting into 12 slices.

3. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

This recipe is always a big hit and very simple to make

Artichoke Dip -

1 c. mayonnaise
    1 c. grated parmesan
    1 c. grated mozzarella
    1 clove minced garlic
    2 13.75 oz. cans artichoke hearts in water, drained

Mix mayonnaise, cheeses and garlic together in a bowl and set aside. In food processor, slightly chop artichokes and add to mayonnaise mixture. Spread into an ungreased 10-inch quiche pan. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes or until bubbling. Serve on toasted pieces of sour dough bread or assorted crackers, if desired.
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

suggested by lconstable. It is yummy!

Pepper
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for these recipes!

I really like those that are quick and easy -- and that you can make the day before!

Do you know that I have never tasted an artichoke!! What do they taste like?

The veggie salad with the Zesty Italian Dressing sounds good, as does the frozen raspberry sorbet dessert!!

There will be about quite a few children these -- does anybody have anything quick that children would like?

jlh
  6. Pat45

Pat45 New Member

Super easy to make;

in a sheet pan or caserole dish (glass is best)

layer chocolate pudding with crushed oreos and coolwhip

make the top layer pudding and oreos

poke gummy worms onto the top so some are sticking out

refrigerate overnight

For a different flavor you can do the same thing with butterscotch and crushed graham crackers

top that one with gummy crabs and seashell candy for a beach scene...

Shrimp/Pasta salad
    just dump everything into a big bowl and refrigerate overnight;

one pound tricolor pasta-cooked
    one pound frozen cooked small or salad size shrimp
    one large can diced tomato
    4 scallions chopped
    2-3 celery ribs sliced
    one can small black olives drained
    1/2 cup finely diced bell pepper (mixed colors are nice)
    1 cup frozen baby peas
    1 large bottle (16oz) zesty italian salad dressing
    plenty of fresh ground pepper (it really doesn't need salt)

note: don't thaw the shrimp or peas first just throw them in

These are always a hit with my friends...

Enjoy your party , and take good care, Pat

7. jake123

jake123 New Member

People will be saying "did you get one of those?" this is found in the Barefoot Contessa's cookbook,

Blanch 3 or 4 bags of sugar snap peas (not Chinese pea
    pods) for about 2-3 minutes. I turn them out in a collander and spray with cool water then spread out on a tea towel to cool some more.
    Toast some sesame seeds in a skillet or buy some black sesame seeds. Put the pea pods in a bowl and drizzle about two teaspoons of sesame oil over the pea pods and sprinkle the seeds over.
  8. jake123

jake123 New Member

I make a pea salad with the little bitty Le Seuer peas and the white shoepeg corn. I add chopped purple onion and bell pepper and a little carrot and maybe some red bell pepper and some of those little cucumbers.
    Then I put some of that sweet rice wine vinegar over it and a little bit of canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

Does anybody want the cole slaw recipe that calls for ramen noodles? It is really good and really different.
  10. gnanny

gnanny New Member

fixing the kids' cupcakes in sugar cones instead of paper liners? same cooking time. can be frosted quickly by dipping in frosting...the lighter frosting works best for this...add sprinkles and voila!

for adults how about cooking up some bacon, cool and crumble. stir it into may...little mor than 50/50 ratio. cut cherry tomatoes in half and remove seeds (thumbs or grapefruit spoons) fill with the mayo/bacon mixture and you
    have the flavor of a BLT in a bite !
    these always disappear quickly....who doesnt love the guilty pleasure of bacon !
  11. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

and different....
    Why not make your own cold rice paper Spring Rolls. They are easy and such a great summer treat. You can fill them with anything you like. I prefer to make cucumber slices, jullianned red pepper, jullianned carrots, a freah mint leaf and cucumber dill sauce.
    You can get rice paper at most Asian food stores. They come dried in round sheets like tortillas. You soak them briefly in cold water to make them pliable. I recomend only soaking one sheet at a time to prevent sticking.
    Jullianne is a long thin slice.
    To get the filling ready just cut any veggies you are fond of. You can even add shrimp, pork, fish or beef. I prefer to make them vegitarian to avoid concerns about food temperature on buffet tables.
    Cucumber sauce,
    I do this all by taste test so bare with me....
    2 large finely diced cucumbers, peeled and de-seeded.
    8 oz of pureed cottage cheese. ( i use this instead of all sour cream to add texture and cut calories.)
    3 oz of sour cream.
    small handful of fresh chopped dill.
    Salt, pepper to taste.
    1 clove fresh minced garlic.

Lay the soaked rice paper on a clean kitchen towl.
    smooth the cucumber dill sauce in the center of rice paper. Not to much!
    Lay the veggie slices vertically in the center of rice paper.
    Add 1 fresh mint leaf.
    Roll the mixture as you would a burrito or tortilla. Roll vertically over twice then tuck the bottom and top over and roll vertically again.

You can make these 2 days ahead of time and they are soo yummy.
    Take a chance and try something different this year. Your family will be impressed!
    A
  12. fibrofirend44

fibrofirend44 New Member

Hi there....sounds like fun going to a reunion...but anyhoo...I tried this recipe called DUMP CAKE and at church gatherings is a must have. You can even prepare it in aluminum pans so you can dispose of. There is a large variety on the internet....go there is you would like to use any other ingredient and they will give you more ideas...this is my favorite one....
    I hope you like it. I suggest you make it for yourself first and then decide.
    RECIPE:
    1 can cherry pie filling
    2 sticks of margarine ( I use less margarine)
    1 can crushed pineapple
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1 yellow or white cake mix

Mix the cans of pie filling and crushed pineapple. Put in a 9" x 13" pan.
    Sprinkle the cake mix over the top of the mixture evenly.
    Cut the margarine into pats and place on top of the cake mix evenly.
    Sprinkle the nuts over the top of the the cake mix.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until golden brown.

[This Message was Edited on 07/26/2005]
  13. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

This one was served at the June bunco. Everyone
    loved it.

1/2 lb cabbage (shredded in the bag with carrots)
    3-4 green onions
    1/2 cup sliced almonds
    1 can water chestnuts (chopped)
    1/2 lb package of romaine lettuce
    toasted sesame seeds on top
    1 cup crunchy chinese noodles

Dressing:
    3 T white wine vinegar
    3 T sugar 1/4 c. salad oil
    3 T sesame oil
    1/2 teas. salt
    1/2 teas. pepper
    2 T toasted sesame seeds

This makes plenty of dressing. You don't have to use it all.
  14. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

That chinese salad is really awesome and crunchy that gets my vote and you willke the artichoke dip!

My kids lke pizza dip. It is like the layered mexican dip only pizza ingredients which are baked.

In a pie plate layer pizza sauce, mozerella, onions, olives, green pepper, pepperoni and more cheese. Bake on 450 for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve with bagel chips.

Good Luck Lynn

PS You can delete anything the kids don't like and just add more pepperoni and cheese. My kids will eat the veggies if they are mixed in. Lynn
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

Thank you all so much. ALL of these recipes sound soooo yummy.

I think I will have to fix some of them over the weekend as taste testers!!!

All the ideas for the kids sounded good. I'll have to run these by my two grandsons, who are 8 and 9, and see which ones get their votes.

For some reason, I am the "mother hen" of the group, and everybody seems to expect me to bring just tons of stuff!! I got them spoiled that way many years ago before I got so sick. I have always liked to cook and try new things, especially for events like reunions, so everyone expects me to bring something new, too!!

I'll be able to fulfill the "new" obligation this year!!

If anyone has any more, I'm still up to them! I just love looking and trying everyone else's "favorites"!!!

jlh
  16. my sil makes this and everyone loves it!
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for all the help.

Bumping for more ideas for us all! This gives us all a few new recipes to try!!
  18. JLH

JLH New Member

My grandsons love the M&M cookies! Sometimes my daughter will make them with those "mini" M&M's instead of the regular size M&M's.

If I made the M&M cookies instead of the regular choc. chip, I would probably have half of the M&M's eaten before they even made it into the cookies!!!!!
  19. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I shopped for ingredients last night. I am going to give your recipe a try for a picnic saturday. Sounds interesting.
    Do I need to keep them sealed so they dont dry out?

Thanks for an intersting recipe.
  20. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

This is very easy:
    2 sticks butter
    7 T. baking cocoa pdr.
    4 eggs
    2 C. sugar
    1 1/2 t. vanilla
    1 c. flour
    1/2 c. chopped nuts
    powdered sugar
    Melt together the butter and the cocoa powder..set aside.
    Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar. Add the vanilla. Add the cocoa mixture, then the flour. Mix well. Stir in nuts. Bake in a greased 9 x 13 pan @ 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
    This recipe is foolproof!