OT- Need ideas for a weekend getaway

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Zzzsharn, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

My b/f has been my rock- I'm so blessed to have him in my life-

He opened his own business last year is is working his tail off. 7 days a week 12 hour days, plus helping with the kids and taking care of me. He wants me to be able to cut down to part time or be able to quit working all together if that's what I want.

I want to do something romantic.. We dont' have a lot of money, and I was thinking of an overnight stay somewhere- I've enlisted Grama to babysit overnight next Satruday.

I know many of you have been married for years and I was wondering if any of you had ideas to share.

Thanks in advance!
    Sharon
  2. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

The circus is good.. my kids would be jealous!!! lol

A spa sounds soooooo nice...a massage, dinner with no kids (or chicken nuggets)).. a jacuzzi..

We're pretty broke right now too- I've snatched some of the tax return money to do this-

I'm going to go search spas...

Thanks!
    Sharon
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sharon:
    Bed and Breakfast places are doing well in fast weekend romantic getaways. Your local bookstore will no doubt have a book describing the ones in your area. Some are so quaint with beautiful antiques and gorgeous rooms. A nice dinner out, a sit out on the porch or in front of a fire at the B/B and then the included breakfast they usually have the next day. It can just be a one-nighter, but is on the cheap and is a fast get-away. Enjoy!!!
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  4. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I didn't think of a B&B-- that sounds very romantic

Great ideas!

Thanks!!!!!~~~~~

Be well.
  5. mariee

mariee Member

How great for the two of you.
    My hubby and I love to get away for cheap here and there.
    I am not in your area, but here in CA. the weekends are more expensive than the weekdays, so if you can get away mid week...cheaper!
    Also, the larger hotels which cater to business meetings are actually cheaper than the B&B's on the weekends, since they want to fill up their rooms. Many do offer massage, if you want. Some offer a breakfast.
    The other thing we do is pack our own snacks...eat 2 meals out. Late breakfst, early dinner...Early dinners run specials.
    I hope this helps.
    I do a lot of searches on line through expedia etc.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Mariee
  6. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I found a place in Maryland- for around 300$ you get a room with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub on the lake- champagne and chocolate covered strawberries upon arrival.. a 3 course meal with wine and you can get a massage or facial if you want..

I think I may book it!!

Seems like a frvioulous expense- but sometimes you just have to do something for yourself...

Wonderful ideas, Thank you all!
    Sharon
  7. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I have done this twice and both hotels were great about helping me.

Book a room with the jacuzzi (however you spell it). Buy a package of silk flower petals. They are at Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the bridal stuff for flower girl baskets and cost a couple of dollars. Buy a big package of tea light candles at the same area, same store, still just a couple dollars.

Champagne or wine and glasses, and massage oil. You can even buy this at Walmart or grocery store KY has massage oils now that are carried anywhere.

Once, I just decorated the room and was sitting in the tub when he came in from an errand I came up with. (Tylenol or something to get him out of there) I had the divine chocolates on a little tray at the side of the tub with a glass of wine, etc. Those little tealight candles can really light up a room and make it romantic. They are very inexpensive. I lined the whole tub with them and it was really beautiful. Even put some in the water before I turned the jets on and they float around with the petals and make such a nice picture of romance.

The other time, I sent the stuff ahead of time and had the room decorated before we got there. They put the flowers on the floor at the doorway and it led through the front part of the room back to the bed and around the tub. They had the candles around the tub and it was surrounded by mirrors which was beautiful when they were all lit.

I kind of thought the flower petals were cheesy, but he actually gathered them all back up and took them home, so once in a while I find flower petals on my bed.

We don't go far, when we get away....even the local motel for a couple of hours one time.

I've been married for 20 years and still love romance. Men do too, and if you set the stage, even if there is no lovemaking involved you can spend loving time with each other. Just one night away, dinner out or pizza in the room, it doesn't really matter. The time and effort will be worth it.

My husband loves....chocolate dipped strawberries! I also always take the champagne glasses from our wedding, to remind us both of that special time and committment. You can make a nice little cooler full of goodies that he doesn't even have to know about, or even if he sees it you just tell him, it is a surprise and he will be excited to find out what is there.

Write a little note that just says I love you and thanks for getting away with me. Put it on the coffee pot in the bathroom for him to see first thing when he wakes up in the morning.

The little things you do ahead make them realize you put time and thought into the weekend together. If he loves your panties, pin a pair of sexy ones inside the shirt you have ironed for him to wear before you go. Make him anticipate the weekend.

All sorts of little things you can do. Mostly just relax and have fun.

Blessings, Sharon,
    Maia

[This Message was Edited on 03/09/2006]
  8. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I'm taking notes!!!

I love the candles idea.. who doesn't love candle light and it makes for a flattering glow ;)

The love note is a sweet idea too...

I think I'll find a gourmet chocolate shop and take a few treats along--

I'm getting so excited!!!! I've never done anything like this before..

I feel like a teenager!

Sharon
  9. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I hope you have lots of fun! Remember it is the care and attention to the little things ahead of time that makes him realize you put a lot into this special time together.

It doesn't have to take a lot of money to do. If you can't afford the more expensive room, you can still create a romantic getaway in a Motel6. It is up to you. Remember, men are visual. They love to see things and they love to anticipate. They are like a little kid waiting to go to a birthday party.

If you have a sexy little nightie, lay it out on the bed with a silk flower on top and a note that says something about 'Later.....'

Have the lotion or oil to do a foot massage....I know all my ideas are "giving to him", but I am smart enough after all these years to know that if I give to him, it comes back to me. Now, maybe for a few women that is not the case, but for the majority, I believe it is.

Go do something you normally don't do....miniature golf, bumper boats, ride a carousel, go to a museum, look at old cars, whatever.

I can't wait to hear how it goes....blessings!!
    Maia
  10. CinCA

CinCA New Member

And when I was doing consulting there (near Philly) some years back, many people mentioned weekend getaways to the Poconos. Not sure if that's in your neck of the woods. The place you mentioned in Maryland sounds lovely, though...did you end up booking it?

Yes, B&Bs can be affordable, although the prices on many out here (CA) are at times more than hotels. Do some research online for deals, and hopefully you'll get good advice from this board.

Honestly, for us, just spending any amount of time alone and not with our 4 y.o. daughter is a vacation, as we have had such few times anyone would watch her, and usually those were for work obligations. So don't feel the need to go overboard if you don't have the energy or money. Just spending quality time together is worth more than any of the fanciest lodging arrangements or most exquisite dinners, in my humble opinion.

Sure you'll have a great trip, and I hope it helps you take a break from the stresses of the DD and daily life. Happy travels!

C.
  11. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

My partner and I love our weekend get-a-ways and I try to book one each season. It gives me something to look forward to - and though my fibromyalgia is severe, I always manage to get away - as I believe these weekend outings are important to my quality of life.

We don't travel very far as it's difficult for me but we've found lots of lovely places within the vicinity. I pace myself, take frequent rest-breaks and take advantage of any disabled accommodations that may be available.

For this coming Spring we've purchased a dinner theatre & hotel package. Perhaps theatre is something you may enjoy - the package deals can be quite inexpensive.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great time!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  12. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

My hubby takes me to cabins for our getaways. In our area it isn't much more than getting a room. We have a cabin booked in May that has a 7 person hot tub, your own privet 60 ft. waterfall. Plus it is secluded and all to our selves. It only cost 115 for weekday and 145 for the weekend.
    Don't forget your CD player and favorite music.

M
  13. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

have cabins and lodges that run the gamet from rustic to elegant. The cost is usually reasonable. You might check out what is available in your area.
  14. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I love hearing about all your experiences.. Thank you for sharing!

I found another place closer to home- only a hour and a half drive- that's a little less expensive, but more romantic.. it's a honey comb suite (unique!) with a fireplace and big tub.. you can order pizza or go to the dinning hall for dinner. And room service brings breakfast in the morning.

The rest is just relaxing and enjoying each other. You can also get a massage therapist to come to the room for additional fees..

I figured once I get him there... he'll be more than willing to give the massage himself!!!

I'll be singing the "honeycomb" cereal theme all weekend as a hint.. "Honeycombs big, yah yah yah... it's not small- no, no, no"!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!!
    Sharon
  15. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

The Poconos are close to me- but soooooo very expensive and you have to book 2 nights..

Now I'm planning details!! packing his favorite snacks..his favorite CD's and magazines...

I"m so excited!! lol

Z