OT: Need music suggestions for my 12 yo girls

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Sep 28, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been buying music CD's for my 12 year old twin girls. I've been getting "happy music" so far, and I need more suggestions. Here's what I've given them so far:

The Mamas & The Papas
    Cat Stevens
    Beach Boys
    James Taylor
    Donovan
    The Monkees
    Sonny & Cher

You can probably see the trend. Happy stuff from when I was a teenager (so very long ago).

My SIL keeps threatening to send them Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell just as a counter balance. LOL. I guess I'm trying to keep them innocent as long as I can. They are pretty clueless about the current music scene (so far). Any more suggestions?
  2. turquoise

turquoise Member

As a former music therapist/Baby Boomer. GOTTA go with the early Peter, Paul & Mary stuff, and if you can find it, the Woody Guthrie folk stuff (Arlo's dad) :)
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

turquoise - I love Peter Paul & Mary as well as Woody Guthrie. Thanks!

prickles - I have never heard of Corinne Bailey Rae, but I like KT Tunstall and Jack Johnson. I'll check them out.

metallimom - Point taken. I agree with keeping them in touch with the current music scene. Next year they head off to middle school, where they will need to know a thing or two about music. Last weekend they had a girlfriend sleepover. I heard her ask them who their favorite artist was. They just looked at each other and said "Donovan". Yikes! I definitely need to get them something more current! I like lots of current artists, but I have a soft spot for the oldies (since I am one!). Thanks for the updated suggestions!

Keep 'em comin'!!
  4. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Aretha, Santana, The Temptations, Tower of Power, Earth WInd and Fire are very posative, Rita Coolage, Ulaly, Los Lonely Boys, AfroCelt, Ozo Motely, Bob MArley. I'll send you my CD! LOL!!!!
  5. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

he has a new one out covers of some old standards...lots of fun and nothing abrasive.
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I wouldn't have picked up on that! I actually LOVE Aretha (R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!) and the Temptations (have several CD's). I used to sing Temptations songs to them as babies (My Girl). Love Earth, Wind & Fire and Santana. Need to get CDs by them.

Also love and have many CD's by James Brown, BB King, Joe Henderson, Sarah Vaughn, Billie Holiday, and so many others. I love Motown and want to turn the girls onto them.

I have many many CD's of my own that I have tried to "loan" the girls. Just said "Here, listen to this". But, since they are MY CD's they aren't interested. So I'm having to buy CD's to give to them as gifts. If it is THEIR CD, they love to listen over and over. Funny, isn't it?

So, I'm having to buy stuff that I don't already own that I don't mind listening to coming from their room. Crazy. Maybe I'll just pick some out of my collection and wrap it and give it to them! LOL!

I definitely get your point about bringing color into their world of music. I would be terribly amiss if I didn't. Thanks for bringing up that point!

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. Excellent suggestions! There is so much good music in the world. I want to have musically diverse kids!
  7. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Well, you say you like happy music for your girls, so I have an idea!

I listen to a lot of trance/electronica/techno whatever you want to call it (i don't even know what to call it!) but one DJ sticks out in my mind.

DJ Tiesto. He recently did a remix for the second Pirates of the Caribbean, and I have yet to hear anything too bad on his cds.

I often listen to a lot of this kind of music when I want to be happy or dragged out of the dumps, so this may be something your girls would like, since it's energetic as well.

So just a suggestion :D
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

they are really mentally the age of 14...

shania twain...tim mcgraw...my 16 yr. old had me buy some johnny cash...

collective soul...but this is outdated...

bob segar..outdate, but he is relly one of my favorites..

have you asked them what they like...because i am sure they are listening to their friends at school or at sleep overs...

i think everything you have been giving them to listen too is so outdated for these young girls...i understanding wanting to sensitize the music selection...but there are many other artist out there that don't cuss on their...cd
    s

how about beyonce, christina aguilara....alecia keyes...there really are alot out there...and maybe you should ask them to write downe there wish list of music...

it is time to compromise...

my son has listen to ozzy osborn to ac/dc...he likes cake...moms music...chris issack...metellica of course, aerosmith...

but try a wish list....because these girls are going to want to start conforming some to what their peers listen too...

and you know it is only art, music, freedom of speech....

they aren't hurting anyone...but i do agree some of the rap is about shooting police officers or others things...but it is life i guess in their "hoods"

but there i s nora jones, red hot chili peppers..

i have rage against the machine, sister machine gun, i have
    zz top...

but we can not enforce what we like on them..i let my son listen to type o negative...they do some remakes of other artist work...

well i need to go to sleep..i have a cold eyes are watering and i need to take some meds...

ask the girls.....

jodie
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

They never have an opinion. And, believe me, personal opinions are highly encouraged in our house. If they wanted a particular artist, I would have gotten it for them.

I think exposing them to a number of musical genres is a valuable experience. The music I listed is not the only music they hear. We listen to a wide variety of music in our house. And they truly LIKE the stuff I have gotten them. Up until a year ago, they were listening (in their room) to almost exclusively Classical music (their choice).

BTW, I just bought them an Avril Levigne CD. I was going to get KT Tunstall, but the store was sold out. Next time.

Thanks for all your terrific suggestions.
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i like creedance clear water and others...

i like godsmack and disturbed...like frank sinatra...

bb king...i so many cd's...music is a great outlet for the mind...

and it is always good way for them to practicing their writing skills..

well atleast you are putting it out their for them'

oh yes kiss....but i don't know if you would approve of it..

in my house we pretty would listen to all types of music in the house together..

but every parent has their own fews of music seelection for thier children...you just need to decide what would be appropriate for you and maybe meet them halfway if it isn't something they may like

you can go to borders and listen to music before you even select it...

jodie
  11. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I have a 12 year old boy. Why don't you ask them? They know what everyone is listening to. My son is very into music- he plays the pinao, guitar, and saxophone. He listens to a variety of music. We simply listen to songs before we allow him to buy just to make sure the profanity and possibly adult content would not be good for them. These suggestions are good, but we are all older - just like when our parents tried to get us to listen to buddy holly, etc. It depends on how close to music your daughters are, but we have used music as another avenue to have in common with our son and that meant that we tried to see what they are interested in listening to.

Just the other night my son was on the phone with several friends - girls and boys and they were listening and talking about some songs - one of the posters here (I'm sorry I don't remember) was right when they said that they will not relate if they are out of the loop. Obviously, we don't want to just give them what they want or let them do what they want just to be in the "in crowd", but you remember from childhood what it is like. It is the same now, just with different songs, etc.. Your girls probably already have their own ideas and maybe just want to make you happy. With two of them- it makes it easier because they can confide in each other, but at 12- I bet they already know what they like.

We live in a small community and our school takes a very appropriate approach to peer pressure. They show the kids what the real peer pressure is at the school. Even though kids have peer pressure to do drugs and/or smoke and drink- the school tries and has successfully shown the kids that the number of students that do this is EXTREMELY low and therefore the pressure is not there. Their peers are mostly doing other things, etc.. you get the drift.

I hope this helps even just a little. Parenting is not always easy.
  12. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I go to places where you can listen to the music before you purchase. Walmarts have this now and some other music places.

You know what you want them to hear and what they may like so listen before you by.

Alot of the artist have hidden messages for example Lucy in the sky with diamonds is about a acid trip just choose wisly. Pink floyd has a song thet has the message "We don't need no education, teacher leave those kids alone"

so listen first what you want in your kids heads it is there for every

I have teenagers they are nuts over new johnny cash movie and songs.

Just my opionon and personal preferences.
  13. aubrygreen

aubrygreen New Member

i think i'm younger than most of the people on this board (21) so i've got some different suggestions. how about radiohead?

the big cool thing right now is indie music, much of which is quite a bit more wholesome, or at least intellectual, than pop and rap. stuff like the decemberists, modest mouse, belle and sebastian, what made milwaukee famous, the flaming lips, wolf parade, the yeah yeah yeahs. some of it's a bit weird, but it's popular and much of it is very good.
  14. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I especially appreciate the names of the newer artists. I listen to the radio all day, so I know many of the artists that have been suggested. Of course, the radio station I listen to is aimed at 25 - 55 year olds (approximately). Lots of new stuff, but lots of older stuff, too. But certainly not aimed at 12 year olds or teenagers.

Many of you have brought up names that I don't know. DJ Tiesto is new to me. I know Modest Mouse, and I like them, but I didn't know any of the others in that list. (The Modest Mouse video with the sheep is a riot!).

I have asked them once again what they would like. If there is ANY CD that their friends listen to that they wish they had. They both said "I can't think of anything." I will continue to ask, but they aren't giving me anything to work with.

For their birthday, a friend gave them 2 CD's. One called "That's So Raven" and one by Jesse McCartney called "The Beautiful Soul Tour". We're making progress.

I'll keep trying to update their collection. Thanks for your help.
  15. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You definitely made me smile. Thanks!

Thank your daughter, too. That is yet another good list. I actually know all of them except for Teddy Geiger. I like them all, too.

The difficult part is that I know what I like, but I don't know what THEY will like. I'm definitely not trying to push my likes and dislikes on them, but it's kind of hard not to. It's also hard to know what kids their age are listening to. Thanks for asking your daughter!

Having twins has been fun. It was definitely harder when they were babies. That almost killed me. But now, they are such lovely young ladies. I'm a little scared of the upcoming teen years. I know what a little beast I was to my mom. Payback time!
  16. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I use to love their music.

Also a very talented brother and sister. To bad she died so young.

Billy Joel talk about TALENT my kids love him to
    wow I'm old lol
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2006]
  17. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

carebelle - I liked the Carpenters, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

ilovepink - Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I definitely remember the hostility I had toward my mom. It wasn't pretty. I have one that leans that way and one that is very sweet to me. But that could change, too.

I'm very open with my girls. I do the same as you and don't over-react to questions. I just tell them the way it is. I encourage them to ask me ANYTHING.

Sometimes I think I may be giving TOO much information. The frank talk I had with them the other day about yeast infections comes to mind. Ewww. But now they know!

My mom didn't talk to me about anything, so I swore I wouldn't be like that. I was clueless about everything. But then again, so was my mom. So I guess she was just doing the best she could. Aren't we all?

18. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I didn't read the previous suggestions, but I'd suggest the following:

John Denver
    Bob Marley (He seems to appeal to all ages).
    Elton John (70s era, especially)
    Chicago
    The Beatles
    Johnny Cash