OT New game: Where in the World was this photo taken?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Aug 19, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hope everyone is doing okay tonight. It's been raining like cats and dogs in New Mexico!

Here's a new one for a Saturday night.
    Click on my profile to see the photo.

Silly guesses are always welcome!

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I'd say it must be near an airport. Looks like that building got hit by a plane.
  3. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I love this picture - what a unique shape! I don't have a guess, I am terrible at this type of game, but I will be waiting curiously to find out the answer!

Thanks for sharing,
    Kat
  4. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Karst Cave in Europe? I have no idea, myself, but my h'capped brother believes that's where it could be. His guess is better than mine anyway!
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

You said silly did not matter. I have never played before. Is it in Indonesia???
  6. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I'm going to say Iceland.

kat
  7. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

...it looks like it was designed by famed architect Frank Gehry whose designs I find are rather disturbing.

Case in point (no pun intended) the Peter B. Lewis Building on the campus of Case Western Reserve University. Do a Google search on this - looks like a can pried open!

Cindy
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

but no clues yet!
  9. spacee

spacee Member

It is cold, clean and the cars are on the right side of the road?????

Spacee
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

A hint: It's in a city somewhere between Lukro's guess and Spacee's guess.

Kholmes
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

BlueSky: I have no idea where the other posts went. The poem writing thread was great. Why not start a new one?

Fight: I found your asylum very easily. I just looked for the building where all of the recent CFS articles are kept!

Kholmes

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

This building is in a very beautiful city in eastern Europe.
  13. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Somewhere in Czechoslovakia???? Possibly Prague???
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

So your husband is playing again. He is good at this game.

It is in Prague. Now see if you can identify the building!

Kholmes
  15. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

My guess was the Prague Hard Rock Cafe, which my DH scoffed at (no sense of humor!).

After googling, we found it is the dancing building or the Ginger and Fred building, also known as the dancing couple.

The googling only took place AFTER he guessed Prague and you confirmed it. He considers googling "cheating". Guy thing, I guess.

No idea what the building is used for. Do you know?

How do you come up with these things? And why does my hubby always know right away? Hmmm. Psychic guy connection thing?

It's raining here in Colorado, too.

16. spacee

spacee Member

Good game...very unusual.

Spacee
  17. ckball

ckball New Member

is it San Fransico after a eartquate?

Nity-nite Carla
  18. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I did see your post about your Tahoe trip, and I saw your great photo, too! I'm very glad you had a great time there, and got to do so many exciting things! About five years ago, I mountain biked on a beautiful trail called the Flume Trail, above Lake Tahoe and near the old Ponderosa Ranch (where the exteriors of the TV show, Bonanza, was shot). It's just south of Incline Village.

I thought it was very ironic that you were in Incline Village, considering that's the town where the bad CFS outbreak happened in the mid 80s!

Welcome back, and glad you're getting some rain in Colorado, too.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2006]
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here's a quote on this bizarre building from Wikipedia:

The Dancing House (Czech: Tancící dum) is the nickname given to an office building in downtown Prague, Czech Republic. It was designed by Croatian-born Czech architect Vlado Milunic in co-operation with Canadian architect Frank Gehry on a vacant riverfront plot (where the previous building had been destroyed during the Bombing of Prague in 1945). The construction started in 1994 and was finished in 1996.

The very non-traditional design was controversial at the time. Czech president Václav Havel, who lived for decades next to the site, had supported it, hoping that the building would become a center of cultural activity.

Originally named Fred and Ginger (after Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers - the house vaguely resembles a pair of dancers) the house stands out among the Neo-Baroque, Neo-Gothic and Art Nouveau buildings that Prague is famous for.

On the roof is a French restaurant with magnificent views of the city. The building's other tenants include several multinational firms. (The plans for a cultural center were not realized.) Because it is situated next to a very busy road it depends on forced air circulation, making the interior somewhat less pleasant for its occupants.

20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

LOL !!

Hugs back.