OT New game: Where in the world was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Sep 9, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here's a new one.
    Click on my name to see the photo. Silly guesses are always welcome.

Kholmes
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Just a silly guess but is it near Scotland?

carolin

3. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi Ken

Is it one of Micheal Jackson's houses on Neverland Ranch?

I have seen this somewhere but can't recall where?

Would not want to lean out of one of those back windows on the cliff side...long way down,lol Carla
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Neuchwanstein, Germany?
  5. mrsED

mrsED New Member

I think Germany.
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

guesses are getting a bit closer...

There's also something significant about this particular castle...
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2006]
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

8. mezombie

mezombie Member

Somewhere in Lichtenstein?
  9. mezombie

mezombie Member

Dracula's Castle! In Romania!
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Carla,
    That can't belong to Michael Jackson. If it did, ya would

of seen a bunch of little boys hanging out the windows!

GET REAL CARLA!!

MRDAD
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Somehow your name seems appropriate for tonight's winner.
    How did you find out?

It is the fifteenth century castle of the real Count Dracula in Bram, Transylvania (which is in the center of Romania). It doesn't look like Count Dracula's castle in most Hollywood movies, does it!

His name was Vlad Dracula or Vlad the Impaler. Unlike the blood-sucking vampire in Bram Stoker's classic novel, he was actually a crusader, but he ruled his territory (southern Wallachia) with a violent and iron fist.

Kholmes

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

So that was your old place.
    I'd like to see your new island castle!

Kholmes
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

hasn't gotten his hands on this place yet! LOL

Madame Curie: It does look a bit like Neuchwanstein in Germany.

Kholmes
  14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I know Vlad is frequently said to be the real life Dracula, but I don't see any connection between the two. Vlad was a psycopath who tortured and murdered thousands of his subjects.

What does that have to do w/ a bat man who sucked blood and hid from the sunlight?
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very good question. This is very long, but here's some interesting stuff that I found on Wikipedia:

Although Dracula is a work of fiction, it does contain some historical references. The historical connections with the novel and how much Stoker really knew about the history is a matter of conjecture and debate.

Following the publication of In Search of Dracula by Radu Florescu and Raymond McNally in 1972, the supposed connections between the historical Vlad III Dracula of Wallachia and Bram Stoker's fictional Dracula attracted popular attention. During the six-year reign of Vlad III (1456–1462), "Vlad the Impaler" is said to have killed from 20,000 to 40,000 European civilians (political rivals, criminals, and anyone else he considered "useless to humanity"), mainly by using his favourite method of impaling them on a sharp pole. (It should be noted, however, that the main source of Romanian history from this time is records by German settlers in neighboring Transylvania, who had frequent clashes with Vlad for political and economic reasons, and may be somewhat biased.) Vlad is revered as a folk hero by Romanians for driving off invading Turks with his brutal tactics; his impaled victims are said to have included as many as 100,000 Turkish Muslims.

Historically, the name "Dracula" is derived from a secret fraternal order of knights called the Order of the Dragon, founded by King Sigismund of Hungary (who became the Holy Roman Emperor in 1410) to uphold Christianity and defend the Empire against the Ottoman Turks. Vlad II Dracul, father of Vlad III, was admitted to the Order around 1431 because of his bravery in fighting the Turks. From 1431 onward Vlad II wore the emblem of the order and later, as ruler of Wallachia, his coinage bore the dragon symbol. People believed the dragon to be a devil, thus they called him Vlad Dracul (Vlad the Devil). In archaic Romanian the ending -ulea meant "the son of". Vlad III thus became Vlad Draculea, "The Son of the Devil".

Certainly Stoker did find the name Dracula in his reading on Romanian history. This became a replacement for the name Count Wampyr, which he had intended to use for his villain. Recently, however, many Dracula scholars led by Elizabeth Miller have questioned the connection's depth. It now seems likely that Stoker knew little of Vlad himself, other than the name Dracula which was attributed to him. Certainly the sections of the novel in which Dracula recounts his history are garbled rephrasings of the one work Stoker's notes show he did consult on Romanian history (which gives few details on Vlad's reign, and does not mention his use of impalement). Most importantly, given Stoker's meticulous use of historical background to make it more horrific, it seems unlikely he would have failed to mention that his villain Dracula had impaled thousands of people if he had actually known much of Vlad's background. Nor is Dracula ever called "Vlad" in the novel. Furthermore in the novel Dracula claims to be a Szekler (Székely in Hungarian) - "We Szekelys have a right to be proud..." - whereas Vlad is clearly an ethnic Vlach. Finally, no one compared Vlad to a vampire in his lifetime (Being a descendant of the Dacian "Wolf People" who was sometimes called a "Great Berserker" by the Germans, it is possible that some associated him with lycanthropy).

In writing Dracula, Stoker may also have drawn upon stories about the sídhe — some of which feature blood-drinking women — and the Dracula legend as he created it and as it has been portrayed in films and television shows ever since may be a compound of various influences; many of Stoker's biographers and literary critics have found strong similarities to an earlier Irish writer, Sheridan le Fanu's, classic of the vampire genre, Carmilla.

It has been suggested Stoker was influenced by the history of Countess Elizabeth Bathory, who was born, like Dracula, in Hungary. It is believed that Bathory tortured and killed up to 700 servant girls in order to bathe in or drink their blood. She believed that the blood of the girls preserved her youth, which may explain why Dracula appeared younger after feeding.[1]

Some have claimed the castle of Count Dracula was inspired by Slains Castle, at which Bram Stoker was a guest of the 19th Earl of Erroll. However, as Stoker visited the castle in 1895, five years after work on Dracula had started there is unlikely to be much connection. Many of the scenes in Whitby and London are based on real places which Stoker frequently visited himself, although in some cases he misrepresents the geography for the sake of the plot.

It has been suggested that Stoker received much historical information from Arminius Vámbéry, a Hungarian professor he met at least twice. Miller argues that "there is nothing to indicate that the conversation included Vlad, vampires, or even Transylvania" and that "Furthermore, there is no record of any other correspondence between Stoker and Vambery, nor is Vambery mentioned in Stoker's notes for Dracula."

16. mezombie

mezombie Member

How did I know the answer?

I thought that castle looked familiar! I just never saw it from the air.

I was trecking around Transylvania many, many, many years ago when I was kidnapped. I was taken to this creepy guy who apparently "ruled" the area. Seems he was into torturing people in all sorts of grisly ways, and trying to come up with new ones. So he ate my brain, and turned me into a zombie!

Luckily, a litte bit of gray matter remained. Just enough for me to remember all this. Brrrr!

Thanks for the fun!

MeZombie

P.S. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I was so brainfogged Sat. night I could barely type out the answer. I get so sick from being on the computer (headache/dizziness/nausea that lasts for hours or days) that I'm afraid I may have to severly limit my time on this board. It's sad.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2006]
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Your story of how you identified the castle (trekking around Transylvania; being kidnapped; taken to a man who tortured in grisly ways) sounds like a personified account of this illness!

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2006]
  18. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Gee, and it looked like such a cheery place!
    ((hugs)) Shannon