OT ..... new living will form definitely a breakthru... LOLOL

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Jul 26, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

For all of us getting a little older, we must realize there may come a time when the tough decision has to be made. Make sure you include this very important form with your legal documents.

New Living Will Form:

I, __________________________, being of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means. Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of pinhead politicians who couldn't pass ninth-grade biology if their lives depended on it or lawyers/doctors interested in simply running up the bills.

If a reasonable amount of time passes and I fail to ask for at least one of the following:

______ Scotch and water
    ______ Glass of wine
    ______ Margarita
    ______ Martini
    ______ Cold Beer
    ______ Steak and baked potato
    ______ Chicken fried steak & cream gravy
    ______ Mexican food
    ______ Hamburger and fries
    ______ Pizza
    ______The remote control
    ______ Bowl of ice cream
    ______ Double Espresso
    ______ Chocolate
    ______ Double Mocha Coffee
    ______ Sex

It should then be presumed that I won't ever get better. When such a determination is reached, I hereby instruct my appointed person and attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes and call it a day.

My appointed person is: ___________________

Signed

~~~~~

(LOL, now that I've got your attention, if you don't already have a living will and especially a health care directive (it is more specific than the living will), please get one...

you can find them free for each state if you google the appropriate words and print them off directly)

2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Victoria:

I made a living will, but did not know where to keep it.
    So I left a copy at the local hospital and took a copy, which I lost.

I want to re-do it. I probably will ask them to void the last living will and keep the new one I write in my purse.

I changed some of the wording on the original and will do it again. I put to pull after seven days. My thinking is that seven days is enough. If I can not be brought back after that: forget it.

I just do not think I would want to live like that.

nyrofan
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Nyrofan - I agree...

but in my experience a health care directive is much better as it is more complete-- it covers a wider range of subjects and circumstances.

When my Mom moved by me, I filed her health care directive (10+ pages long) with the hospital and internist - and I'd seen it in her folder the couple of times she was admitted to the hospital, and prominently on her file were the words "Do Not Rescucitate".

The patient rep tho kept insisting she should also sign a Living Will, even tho it was only one page and didn't say anything differently... so we finally did it while she was in the hospital for what turned out to be the last time.

The very next morning she had a massive heart attack. By the time I got there, she was comatose and on life support -- even tho she was not expected to live more than 48 hours -- this was ALL against her wishes.

When I pointed this out, it was found the healthcare directive was 'missing', the folder that said 'do not rescuscitate' was gone, and I was told by the very same pt rep the Living Will was now 'too vague' to be able to order having her taken off life support!!!!!

Luckily my DH was home, and brought my copy of the directive to the hospital... they then of course agreed immediately to comply with my Mom's wishes.

But it is a shame that families have to go thru such scenarios in times of such emotional stress ...

we all really need advocates for ourselves, &/but it is really important to be extremelly explicit about what one wants or doesn't want. You never know when you'll need it.

all the best,
    Victoria