OT No tree this year for us

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by emttoni, Nov 14, 2006.

1. emttoni

emttoni New Member

I feel bad for the kids but Im blaming not getting a Chrsitmas tree this year on the two puppies we got since April. I just cant tromp thru the woods (with a smile on my face no less) looking for a tree and then drag it home with the 4x and then dig out the decorations and decorate the house this year. IT is just going to be tooo much for me. And then I do worry that after all that the puppies would really destroy it anyway. Somehow 5 dogs ranging from a Rott clear down to a shih tsu and a Christmas tree just doen not sound like a winning combination.

Am I so bad a parent and a animal care giver that I can so casually blame the poor furbabies cause Im unable to do something? I really dont know what we are going to do. I suggested doing what my dad did last year and get a string of lights and tack them on the wall in the shape of a tree and go from there. DOnt know if that will fly tho.

Hugs ~Toni
  2. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

I always drag out my artificial tree......My kids love to decorate it...My husband and the kids do all the work and I sit and supervise and put the hooks on the ornaments. Everyone says a "fake" tree is not the same...its better than not having one!........Mine is a 20 dollar tree and we dress it up to look like a million bucks...including all the school made ornaments the kids have collected through the years....I am not an animal person....I cant deal with it........2 kids are enough...L.
  3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

We had to get a fake tree as well, and they don't make me feel quite as happy, but I'd rather have a fake tree over having an asthma attack every day. I bought a tiny 8-inch fir tree last year, I named him Fredrick. I put him in my room in hopes I'd outgrown my allergies to fir trees. Nope -_- Much sadness.

Emttoni can you maybe just get one of those mini table-top trees? They make real ones in that size as well now, haha. Then you could just buy a few ornaments to put on it.
  4. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

we had 7 kids,and I remember the holiday maddess. what i would"t give to have it all back.
    what about a small tree on top of a table that the dogs can"t reach?
    let the kids do it, it will give them the spirit,and you"ll remember it for yrs.
    just a thought.

MERRY CHRISTMAS. sixtyslady
  5. kat-E

kat-E New Member

real or artificial... Something you can put on a tabletop, high enough that they will not destroy it.

They always sell these little firs at the grocery store and at hobby shops you can find the little mini ornaments and lights.

Just a thought

6. elliespad

elliespad Member

Love'em! I am a Christmas JERK. Love the season, love the festivities, even if I don't participate the way I would like. Last year, husband put the lights on. I never did decorate it, poor tree. Anywho,,an idea for you.

My bestfriend does a real tree, but also does "feather trees". She puts out about 20 of them in various textures, sizes and themes. Kitchen, livingroom, EVEN THE BATHROOM has a feather tree. Makes it very festive. I personally think with kids, they will feel let down without the tree, I know I would, and I'm an adult. At least I'm supposed to be.

Even without decorations, our lit up tree was beautiful. Much like decorating shrubs outside your home. Lights but no decorations. Just an idea.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2006]
  7. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Sounds like a great idea to let the kids decorate a small table top tree. There are so many table top trees that you can choose from that are fiber-optic or pre-lit with clear or multi-colored lights. Some even come decorated with ornaments for around $20.00.

I personally have always preferred the artificial trees because they have hardly any maintenance and don't need watering.

Some of the best Christmas memories a child remembers is when they are young and waking up to see those twinkling lights on their christmas tree regardless how big the tree is. The smiles on their faces are priceless :)

Wishing you all many blessings!
    Carolin
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

You gotta give your kids a tree!!!

I know things are tough to muster up being ill and all but they NEED those memories of Christmas!

Do a small tree on top of a table~
    or don't ya have a small room where you can gate up the pups?
    even a table top tree (artificial) is nice~ I have one its about 3 ft high and its so adorable when its all decorated~
    well,..you got a few weeks to think about it right?
    OMG! its coming way too fast! I need to get the lead out and go shop for presents. uuuuggghhhh
    bah hum bug~
    hugs
    Tandy
  9. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi Toni,

Several have hit it on the mark,kids need to celebrate Christmas.

I too shan't have a large tree as we used to on Christmas when the children were home etc. Now we have a small ceramic tree with lights and all. Also I get to sit with the grandchildren as we set up the manger and I tell them the story of the First Christmas. I kinda like the real baby tree idea on your table to be planted later as a sweet memory of Christmas 2006. Your children will only be small once and the things that happen now will stay with them for the rest of their lives. Maine weezie
  10. spacee

spacee Member

I was able to find a tall skinny artifical tree 1/2 price after Christmas. It fits in a closet/utility room. We decorated it and covered it with a sheet (wrapped around and pinned at the top).

There it stays until my youngest son gets a twinkle in his eye and says, "Mom, can we decorate for Christmas?" And I smile and twinkle back, "Yes!"

Then, the two of us drag the already decorated tree to it's spot and hang the stockings and wreath and a few mantle pieces and...the decorating is done!. 10 minutes, easy.

Last year at the age of 20, he wanted a "real" tree. So, we bought one and he decorated it. So, this year, a real tree again...but the "closet tree" is still there for when I am the only one decorating.

Enjoy those kids and furbabbies!

Spacee
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

Truly, having a small tree up on a table is the best solution. I used to use a tall end table when I had larger puuppies, and the coffee table with smaller pups. I'd cover it up with a holiday vinyl tablecloth cut to size to protect it if it was a real tree, then put the tree skirt over it. The larger the table the better as at least some of the presents can be under the tree then.

The kids didn't seem to ever mind when they were young, or now (grown) - it's just the fun of 'Christmas' either way that is important!

There are even artificial 1/2 trees that are available that can be hung on a wall or over a mantel.

Lots of solutions.... hope you can find one that works!

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 11/16/2006]
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

In the same boat here. I usually go to great links to decorate, but this year I don't even feel like putting up the tree. I am just dreading it.

Kriket
  13. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I hear ya honey! I don't think I can put my big artificial tree up this year and decorate it! The past few years I have had the kids do it, but my daughter has her own place and is getting married in Dec. and son has an apartment and is 20. I told my husband, I think it is time to just do a table top tree and put a bag over it for storage every year.

I like the suggestion of a small table top tree. Then at least your kids will have a Christmas tree to look at. Kids always love Christmas trees.

Take care, Sally