OT - October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Sep 30, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Take action to stop domestic violence

The month of October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. For many families this topic remains silent, yet it is diverse and continues to affect the lives of people.

Symptoms of abuse - The person you are with:

1. Prohibits you from attending school and / or work.

2. Opposes camaraderie with family and friends.

3. Criticizes, yells, swears, uses angry gestures and coercion, etc. when speaking with you.

4. Controls you financially and demands a detailed explanation of what and where money is spent.

5. Humiliates you in front of other people.

6. Destroys your personal property items or your sentimental objects of value.

7. Hits, punches, kick, pulls hair, bites, pushes with their body into your body causing pain or harm, and / or rapes you.

8. Threatens to harm you, the children, or a member or members of your family.

9. Threatens to harm you with a weapon.

If this happens or is happening, seek the assistance of local agencies that are there to help you. Call 911.

A victim is not always able to reach a phone. Those who witness an incident should make that 911 call. When the police arrive, tell the police what you have heard and / or seen. The victim should follow through with reporting the incident against the abuser, but many times are afraid to.

Do not hesitate to seek medical assistance, document and report the incident.

If you are unable to seek refuge with a family member of friend, call the nearest women's shelter.

Many times the person abused allows the cycle of violence to continue because the person believes that the abuse won't continue. This is because many times:

1. The abuser apologizes.

2. The abuser blames self for the incident that has taken place.

3. The abuser promises to change.

4. The abuser takes you to dinner, sends you flowers, purchases gifts, and asks you to forgive them.

Counseling may help, but must be sought before actual physical abuse starts.
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

My sister was a victim of domestic violence by her first husband. She experienced physical and emotional abuse, even when she was pregnant with their first child.

This is something that should not be tolerated. Thank goodness she left and divorced her husband. He had a B.A. in Accounting, and dressed and looked like an executive, but had underlying emotional problems that she just didn't seem to pick up on during her short dating time and engagement to him. Her short engagement was another no-no. She had not dated him long enough to see all sides of him, let alone to get married. He pressed her into getting married "now" because he convinced her "why wait when we're in love". BEWARE OF THAT LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

After knowing someone personally involved in domestic violence, I thank the Lord every day that I married a man who also believes that violence is not a way to solve problems--it just creates more problems.

My husband, in 35 years of marriage, has never laid a hand on me, nor has he hardly raised his voice at me. Thank God for such a good man. I may fuss on him for not helping me clean or cook, but he IS a decent human being.

All abusers are not men, either! I also give my husband the same respect that he pays me! No hitting, and no verbal or emotional abuse.

It's sad that young girls, like when my sister was then, did not get out before they had any children. Children deserve a better life than living in an environment of abuse. My sister didn't leave until her daughter was 4, and it had already made a big impression on her by then. So sad.