OT - Oprah Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Feb 2, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Susan Saint James was on Oprah today talking about the plane accident that took her 14 yr old son's life - "Teddy" - two years ago. It took so much for her to talk about her loss.

One comment she made I thought was good was -

"We are all "spiritual" beings having a human experience"

Also, as respects to anger over losing her son - she decided from the beginning they would have many emotions but not hold anger and resentment. Her statement -

"Holding resentments is like taking poison yourself, and hoping the other person will die" it does not help anything.

Once I read that holding resentment and anger towards someone else is like carrying around a cup of S##T. You suffer much more than the other person.

It was a very good show today.

[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2006]
  2. MKlady

MKlady New Member

Thanks for sharing this! Probably the most important thing I learned in years of therapy is to forgive - self and others - because not doing so punishes me, not them. Hard to do, but so worth it!
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I've always liked her and when I first heard about her loss I felt so bad for her. From the promos it looks like she is still suffering greatly.

Yes......I believe that we are all here to learn a very short lesson. We all must choose to follow good or evil. Some have less time than others.

Her son had a very sweet face. I don't know what he learned the short time he was here. I pray he is at peace and I pray for her also.
  4. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

When Oprah came on today, I had to change the channel because I knew it would be more than I could handle. I too am a fan of Susan St. James and I admire the way she handled the tragedy of losing her son when it first hit the news. I can't imagine how she must have felt and still does but I agree with what you say she said that holding resentments is like taking poison. Anytime you have hatred or resentment in your heart against someone, all it does is fester and grow and eventually take over your entire life. I have learned it is much better to forgive and forget whenever possible. Life is much too short to hate someone or hold resentment for someone or something you have no control over.
    My thoughts and prayers are with her entire family and once again, I admire their courage to share their story with the world. I wish today was a day I could have handled watching it but you know how it is when you are in a crying mood already. The last thing I needed to do was to watch something so sad.
    Stinker56
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Jenn, thanks for getting the quote exactly right -

The Oprah show actually replays at night - check your same station around 1 am - you can tape it if you can.

I thought it took so much courage for her family to come on TV and discuss the whole thing. They said they talk about it all the time.

The one son who actually rescued her husband was especially moving. Such a strong family and they have a strong faith in God.

[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2006]
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

show but I think she used to be in Kate and Ally show years ago with Jane Curtin, I loved that show. I did not know her son had been killed. That sort of loss would just be totally unbearable for me, I doubt I would ever have the will to live or let my son be alone, so I am pleased she has found a spiritual strength. I stopped watching Oprah a while back so glad she is still doing at least a few thoughtful shows.
    Love Anne
  7. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Just read everything here and have written down alot of the quotes some of you got off of the Oprah show. I realize myself that I am holding so much inside. I have always had a hard time with letting go of my own quilty feelings and holding grudges against other people. This is my new quest, I am going to definately work on this!!! I know it will make me feel better, now I just need to learn how to do it!!

Thanks for posting about the show,
    Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I think the hardest thing about watching the show was seeing Susan Saint James grief stricken face at times. The rest of the family held up pretty well, but not "mom".

She still has not touched his room, and has one shirt he wore, she never washed, in her own closet, so she can still smell him.

I always heard she was such a good mother. She breast fed all her kids, kind of a earth mother type.